The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ANTONY & the JOHNSONS albums ?

Post by gessa »

Antony and the Johnsons
I am A Bird Now
The Crying Light
Turning
Swanlights

But not much between them.

Hopelessness is very good too.

Cut The World is a brilliant live album,, only spoilt by 'future feminism' what is that all about?
gessa

Post by gessa »

Antony and the Johnsons
I am A Bird Now
The Crying Light
Turning
Swanlights

Cut The World is a brilliant live album,, only spoilt by 'future feminism' what is that all about?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 am Antony and the Johnsons
I am A Bird Now
The Crying Light
Turning
Swanlights

I forgot to include Cut The World on my initial post

God knows mate, I immediately click on to the next track :)

We've got them all covered mate 8-)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

More from the weekend playlist

Alice Cooper

Only Alice album I go a bundle on is 'Killer' still his best imo even though Cooper's music sounds dated to me.

Killer
Billion Dollar Babies
School's Out
Love It To Death

Favourite Alice song without any doubt

'Halo of Flies' off 'Killer'

Chart facts

'School's Out' was Alice's only No.1 single culminating four Top 10 hits in 1972

'Billion Dollar Babies' was his only album that made the No.1 spot in the UK & USA

Alice had seven Top 10 albums, four of them much later in his career

Muppet the Cat

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ALICE COOPER albums ?

Post by Muppet the Cat »

The only two I have are
1974 'Alice Coopers Greatest Hits' - which is up there with the best greatest hits compilations IMO; and
the 1997 live (somewhere in Mexico I think) album 'A Fistful of Alice'

I do like Elected and I'm Eighteen but if for no other reason than the iconic 1972 Top of the Pops performance (which always pops up on those 1970's/Glam Rock/Guitar Heroes BBC 4 compilation shows) and being an impressionable 8yr old at the time I'd say School's Out is my favourite track.

I saw him in Cardiff in the early 2000's at Cardiff CIA (but only really as I went to see Dio who were supporting) - he was good, but the theatre of it all is the main thing, rather than it being a rock show. However, I appreciate I may be in a minority with that and others clearly loving the fake hangings, blood, guillotines etc...

:moggy:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:11 pm The only two I have are
1974 'Alice Coopers Greatest Hits' - which is up there with the best greatest hits compilations IMO; and
the 1997 live (somewhere in Mexico I think) album 'A Fistful of Alice'

I do like Elected and I'm Eighteen but if for no other reason than the iconic 1972 Top of the Pops performance (which always pops up on those 1970's/Glam Rock/Guitar Heroes BBC 4 compilation shows) and being an impressionable 8yr old at the time I'd say School's Out is my favourite track.

I saw him in Cardiff in the early 2000's at Cardiff CIA (but only really as I went to see Dio who were supporting) - he was good, but the theatre of it all is the main thing, rather than it being a rock show. However, I appreciate I may be in a minority with that and others clearly loving the fake hangings, blood, guillotines etc...

I agree with you there on Alice, very similar to the Sensational Alex Harvey Band who were also a visual theatrical type act, better on stage than on their records
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

His autobiography, 'Golf Monster' is one of the more entertaining/interesting books of that genre that I've read.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:22 pm His autobiography, 'Golf Monster' is one of the more entertaining/interesting books of that genre that I've read.

Excellent golfer apparently
gessa

Post by gessa »

Even though a lot of it seems dated now, there is still a goodie off each album up to From The Inside.

Love It To death
Pretties For You
From The Inside
Schools Out
Easy action
Muscle Of Love
Lace and Whisky
Killer
Billion Dollar Babies
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Today's bands both on my playlist recently

Be-bop Deluxe

A Yorkshire band from Swannie's hometown Wakefield where I first saw Bill Nelson & the boys perform a magical set before they recorded their first album. Initially we use to pay 10p entry fees to see Be-Bop in the pubs around West Yorks, they could often be found playing at the Staging Post in Leeds.

At first they were compared to the more successful David Bowie, but Nelson never tried to copy Bowie, and appears to have disliked comparisons or being pigeon-holed. Bill became one of the best guitarists on the northern music scene in the mid-70's

My favourite albums

Their debut album is still their best work imo !

Axe Victim
Futurama
Sunburst Finish

Chart Facts

Be-Bop finally cracked it 1976 with the song 'Ships in the Night' from their 3rd album Sunburst Finish, both single & album made the Top 20, BBD went on to have two more albums reach the Top 20 chart

1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite BE-BOP DELUXE albums ?

Post by 1964white »

Barclay James Harvest

One of the most underrated rock bands of the 70's. John Lees's BJH were a hard-working band touring the UK, saw them a few times in Leeds

Favourite Albums

Everyone Is Everybody Else (without any doubt their best work)
Gone To Earth
Early Morning Onwards or The Best Of (both compilations)
And Other Stories
Their First Album.....

Chart Facts

Although 'Everyone Is Everybody Else' did not chart, it was nevertheless an important album that directly contributed to subsequent limited UK success and considerable European success for the band, particularly in Germany, France and Switzerland.
BJH had nine LP's that reach the album chart in the UK

hector

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite BE-BOP DELUXE & BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST albums

Post by hector »

Those are both bands that I never got into....

And as you say that I live in the past and need to look forward, I probably won't now........
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite BE-BOP DELUXE & BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST albums

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:42 am Those are both bands that I never got into....

And as you say that I live in the past and need to look forward, I probably won't now........
Have a listen to the clips I've posted up Hector
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Like Hector, I've nothing by either of these :moggy:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:50 am Like Hector, I've nothing by either of these :moggy:
As I replied to Hector have a listen to the clips I posted up

You may enjoy Be-Bop Deluxe as their debut album Axe victim sounded very Bowie-ish
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:45 am Have a listen to the clips I've posted up Hector
You barsteward.........

now I have to dig out all the back albums of these bands...

2 very good guitarists that I have never heard, ...... :rant:

and it was you who told me I was stuck in the past and to look to the modern music...... :shock:

See you in a few weeks when I have listened to the lot :) :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:38 am You barsteward.........

now I have to dig out all the back albums of these bands...

2 very good guitarists that I have never heard, ...... :rant:

and it was you who told me I was stuck in the past and to look to the modern music...... :shock:

See you in a few weeks when I have listened to the lot :) :)
That's me Hector a right old barsteward :lol:

There are so many bands from the past that folk miss as they rave about the more popular rock bands, my first two favourites from BJH & BBD are essential Hector but by all means scan their back-catalogue if you have time !

Talking about modern music, two bands from the noughties up next :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Used to play a fair bit of BJH, haven't for a long while, started to sound dated.
From memory.

Everyone Is Everybody Else
First Album
Gone To Earth
Eyes Of The Universe
Turn Of The Tide
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:10 am Used to play a fair bit of BJH, haven't for a long while, started to sound dated.
From memory.

Everyone Is Everybody Else
First Album
Gone To Earth
Eyes Of The Universe
Turn Of The Tide
I think some other rock bands sound more dated, all down to ones ears I suppose !
Good to see 'Everyone Is Everybody Else' is your favourite BJH album mate even though it sold less than their later works. BJH aficionado's recognise this one as their best :tup:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

BBD

Sunburst Finish
Axe Victim
Futurama

Saw them twice in the Seventies, at the Duchess and the Union. Nelson was a very underrated guitarist. Sunburst Finish their best album for me, just in front of Axe Victim.

I only have one BJH album "....and other short stories". Saw them live in Manchester around 2000, and they were dreadful.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!