2018 WORLD CUP FINAL - FRANCE v CROATIA

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: 2018 WORLD CUP - CROATIA v ENGLAND

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:

Those players can return home with great credit & don't deserve any criticism whatsoever, they were competing against the worlds best but the lack of experience & quality found them out, in the end the mountain was too high to climb
I agree, they were simply overwhelmed in the end. With experience they may acquire more quality, but it's the goalscoring that needs to be sorted. Sterling has to start scoring and Kane doesn't need to miss his chances as often if they are to progress with the present personnel. I had thought that having Kane and Alli in the same team would be good, but we forget that at Spurs they play with Ericksen who completes the attacking triumvirate.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

faaip wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:12 pm Some interesting pieces but a long way to go to get close to some of those good England teams that usually got very unlucky in major championships. Kanes bad misses first half not the sign of a quality striker. Said that would come back to bite us.
Said the same thing myself. Lost it in the first half when they failed to capitalize on their great run of play. Could easily have been 2 or 3 - 0 at the half. :( :cry:
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:39 pm Cheeky.... :chair: ....Oh, and I don't own a flag :)
I do. Had 8 flags up in my lounge plus a poster with the results and a flag up in the kitchen.... :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

becchio bear wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:46 pm I do. Had 8 flags up in my lounge plus a poster with the results and a flag up in the kitchen.... :bear:
:shock: so are you one of the female flag wavers that 64 was talking about bb....? Pity we didn't get the result we wanted :( ....but I think the future looks very bright for England.... :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:39 pm Cheeky.... :chair: ....Oh, and I don't own a flag :)
Loads of 4 x 4 drivers up here with flags attached, I expect to see a some burly bloke behind the wheel, no it's usually a blonde bird :lol: I suspect many of them have never been to a football match before. No doubt are now discarded :( I'll stick with my Leeds United pennant on my rear window even though we've been rubbish for fifteen years :scar1 :shirtw: :scarfe2:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:46 pm I do. Had 8 flags up in my lounge plus a poster with the results and a flag up in the kitchen.... :bear:
Need to move all nine to the shed young lady

:eng: :eng: :eng: :eng: :eng: :eng: :eng: :eng: :eng:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

You may think this sour grapes coming from a Scotsman but I did a preview of the game
5 hours before the kick-off and predicted Croatia would win. It was a case of experience vs youth.
If we can say anything about this world cup then a feature of it has been the underdogs winning,
seeing off teams like Germany Spain Portugal and Argentina. The trend is your friend.

After 5 minutes and the Trippier goal I thought I am going to be left with egg on my face,
but it panned out as I predicted. Strangely it did not bring me any joy to get it right, and this
morning I felt a sadness for the nation as a whole, I think the country would have received
an enormous lift it England had gone through to the final, and now when I look at the video I made,
comedy has turn to tragedy, when I see the tears the loss has caused. I expect a lot of people
are now feeling numb after having invested all that emotional energy in support of their team.
Hope deferred saddens the heart.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:44 pm Still don't understand why Kane is so highly rated.
google search his goal record + he's soon to be golden boot winner

he had that one chance to score and it wasn't the best finish but he was flagged offside anyway - he's probably he best striker in the world right now and for good reason
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not offside for the clear cut sitter, probably not for the rebound. VAR would have sorted that.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Saturday

Belgium v England

Sunday

France v Croatia
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 am Not offside for the clear cut sitter, probably not for the rebound. VAR would have sorted that.
Fair enough and you're probably right. But all of the best players miss chances - look at how many penalties Messi has missed
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 am Not offside for the clear cut sitter, probably not for the rebound. VAR would have sorted that.
Fair enough and you're probably right. But all of the best players miss chances - look at how many penalties Messi has missed
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: 2018 WORLD CUP - BELGIUM v ENGLAND on Saturday

Post by The Subhuman »

One of the best strikers in the world in a world cup semi would have buried that.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:54 am One of the best strikers in the world in a world cup semi would have buried that.
Sometimes I think you just say the most ridiculous stuff just to provoke arguments. Your viewpoint is just absurd. Ronaldo, Messi, fat Ronaldo, have all missed decent chances in big games.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

OK I'll shut up
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:43 amOK I'll shut up
Thanks
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

English pundits perspective.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Scottish pundits perspective.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Five reasons England will not beat Belgium for the Bronze medal at the football World Cup

1) They are demoralised by the defeat they suffered against Croatia
2) They played 120 minutes and have had one less day to recover than Belgium
3) Southgate will persist with the same team selection that lost to Croatia
4) Belgium will be too good for them and have already beaten them once before
5) They do not have the correct mental attitude

Five reasons England could beat Belgium for the Bronze medal at the football World Cup

1) Southgate makes radical changes to the team selection
2) He drops Stirling who has done nothing, and replaces him with Rashford or Wellbeck
3) He puts Dier and Delph in the midfield to deal with Hazard and gets rid of Henderson
4) He plays Rose at left back with Walker at right back, and Cahill replaces Stones
5) He drops either Deli Alli, or Lingard and replaces one of them with Loftus-Cheek
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Expect our third defeat of the tournament

If Belgium turn up as they did against Brazil they will murder us, the Belgains have more experience & are different class to our young lads