To Panic Or Not To Panic

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: To Panic Or Not To Panic

Post by The Subhuman »

Blackman would add competition we need at GK I guess but not a position of true need for me
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Diaz and Bouy look quality tbf, not sure how close Halme is to the first team but shouldn't be too far away
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

faaip wrote:Diaz and Bouy look quality tbf, not sure how close Halme is to the first team but shouldn't be too far away
Not sure how you can be so certain about these players. Diaz looked decent in his one sub appearance for the first team, and was excellent for the U23’s. However, neither Bouy or Halme have played for Leeds at all. The latter was sent home as he was homesick, and I’m not even sure if he has come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gandalf wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:37 am Not sure how you can be so certain about these players. Diaz looked decent in his one sub appearance for the first team, and was excellent for the U23’s. However, neither Bouy or Halme have played for Leeds at all. The latter was sent home as he was homesick, and I’m not even sure if he has come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't be sure, the same as I can't be sure the 10 million pound striker we may bring in score the 25 plus goals we paid for, same as I can't be sure the CB/defender we buy gels with Jansson. It's instinct and gut feeling born from 50 years of watching football at all levels.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

All I'm saying is we can get by via the youth, my expectations from this season are lower than most. So I'm happy to let the youth come through, whomever it is, I was just throwing up some names of those spoken fairly highly of and who impressed me at times last season. I also said I didn't know how close Halme was to the first team squad but he's 20 and really should start breaking through soon, especially on a roster with limited options at the position as it stands
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:55 am Phil Hay saying some deals are "bubbling away".

Still waiting on Blackman to go ahead, not closed the door totally on Vydra and Hernandez and looking at alternatives but given the time frame we dont have many choices.

Targets have been pretty well publicised but obviously some have fallen away, Bartley, Gunn, Stockdale, Vydra etc.

Think its pretty clear we have identified targets early but put all our eggs in these baskets and are scrambling now, very poor really.

Dont believe Kinnear at all, its clearly not under control.

Trying not to be a "bedwetter" but anyone who thinka everything is fine is clutching at straws imo, very badly organised once again, staggering ineptitude.
Trouble is we don't know if the targets were actual targets or simply lazy journalism or agents trying to drum up the interest in their players.

Similarly if say we had our list of 10 strikers with say Hernandez at 1st, Vydra 2nd and Jerry Mabafgo at 10 do you panic and buy the 10th target because 1st and 2nd are haggling for more money or do you watch target 5,6,7,89 all go elsewhere because you'd much rather have target 1 or 2? It really is a tricky situation and reminds me a bit of a situation we had a few years back when, and names escape me, we bought a midfielder and then before he'd even played a match for us we sold him on because a different midfielder (presumably one we wanted more) became available. We could have had a deal for Jerry done and dusted weeks ago but presumably we want better, or certainly more proven.

Not saying I am happy with things as I am continually checking various sites to see if we have signed anyone or there are more concrete links but not panicking (yet).

I do think there are deals that we will be getting closer too but wouldn't surprise me if we just find out the names in the hours before they actually sign, like with Baker.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Was that David Livermore?
hector

Post by hector »

weasel wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:09 pm Trouble is we don't know if the targets were actual targets or simply lazy journalism or agents trying to drum up the interest in their players.

Similarly if say we had our list of 10 strikers with say Hernandez at 1st, Vydra 2nd and Jerry Mabafgo at 10 do you panic and buy the 10th target because 1st and 2nd are haggling for more money or do you watch target 5,6,7,89 all go elsewhere because you'd much rather have target 1 or 2? It really is a tricky situation and reminds me a bit of a situation we had a few years back when, and names escape me, we bought a midfielder and then before he'd even played a match for us we sold him on because a different midfielder (presumably one we wanted more) became available. We could have had a deal for Jerry done and dusted weeks ago but presumably we want better, or certainly more proven.

Not saying I am happy with things as I am continually checking various sites to see if we have signed anyone or there are more concrete links but not panicking (yet).

I do think there are deals that we will be getting closer too but wouldn't surprise me if we just find out the names in the hours before they actually sign, like with Baker.
Ditto :tup:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

and Ian Westlake? Or is he too early?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

faaip wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:54 am I can't be sure, the same as I can't be sure the 10 million pound striker we may bring in score the 25 plus goals we paid for, same as I can't be sure the CB/defender we buy gels with Jansson. It's instinct and gut feeling born from 50 years of watching football at all levels.
I also got Bouy mixed up with Rey, both start with O and I have around 1000 American footballers names stored in my head so often get names mixed up.

Not the last time I'll do that.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Bielsa to axe six more players from the books
Sacko, OKane, Antonson, Murphy, Ekuban, Veron.
Team getting trimed down to skeleton squad.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

4 of those are predictable, thought Sacko may hang around as he cost us good money and he is lightening quick. Not sure who Veron is tbh and O'Kane was on a decent contract that will need paying off...no Cooper on that list is interesting
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:09 pm Trouble is we don't know if the targets were actual targets or simply lazy journalism or agents trying to drum up the interest in their players.

I hope your last paragraph is correct, its all going on behind closed doors and tomorrow or later today Phil hay tweets out of the blue "players X Y and X are due for a Medical".

Just the time we have wasted, we have our 1st friendly on Tuesday, we still have 4 or 5 positions unimproved, as it stands Kalvin Phillips, Gaetano Berardi, Liam Cooper etc are still key 1st teamers.

Bielsa likes and needs his teams ready in good time, he said that himself.

I dont want us to panic buy but as time marches on it looks more and more likely, scrambling for loans and bargains from the backend of nowhere.

Kinnears comments about 70% of the teams ability, just seems we are being prepared for a few loans and hoping Bielsa can drastically improve a very limited squad.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 pm Was that David Livermore?
Yeah think that's the fella - I was thinking Doug Livermore but it didn't seem right so that's probably the fella.
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

I’ve assessed this in my own brain alittle more and I don’t think I’m going to panic for a couple of weeks. It’s too easy to sit and sulk but if you look through the actual incoming in the whole league - there’s not a lot of movement from many clubs other than a few throwing cash around. I’m willing to wait and see what happens and judge when the season starts.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Another day slips by and still no one has signed for Leeds
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 pm Another day slips by and still no one has signed for Leeds
We'll be picking up the crumbs come the end of August with one or two panic signings mate, looking forward to checking wiki to give me some insight on our new acqiuisitions
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:47 pm
Just the time we have wasted, we have our 1st friendly on Tuesday, we still have 4 or 5 positions unimproved, as it stands Kalvin Phillips, Gaetano Berardi, Liam Cooper etc are still key 1st teamers.
Alarming Cjay, if they are LUFC's key players come the start of the season our board of directors should be ashamed of themselves, b*gger off & go run a mickey-mouse business elsewhere.
Right now our loyal fans especially those who invest much of their earnings into their beloved club deserve much better. Many of my friends are doing all the friendlies including journey's to Southend, Forest Green & Oxford, their loyalty should be rewarded not disrespected
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

I'm slightly concerned at the moment, but that mostly stems from Bartley going to West Brom. I know we've been bitten with loanees playing terribly after impressing on loan, but my memories of those were generally where it was short-term made permanent in Jan. Bartley was immense for us over a full season, and clearly struck up a good partnership with Pontus, as well as having the ties with Ayling.

We constantly go on about the need for 'proven quality' but bemoan the fact that those players cost a premium. Bartley has gone to West Bromwich for £4m, which is hardly bank-breaking.

The first friendly us getting close and we have two proper first team centre-backs at the club. We obviously don't know the system we'll be playing, but it doesn't seem likely to be 3 at the back!

The strikers are a slightly different proposition. We clearly need someone to leaf the line, but Hernandez is holding out for so much money that even Russian premier teams are stalling. According to Phil Hay, a deal was essentially agreed for Vydra but then he turned round and wanted £10k more on his wages than previously suggested.

I don't know whether more need to leave first, but we're getting to the business end now with only a couple of weeks until the deadline. Unless there's a lot going on that we don't know about yet, we might find ourselves with a few panic buys...
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Bartley to WBA is a little disappointing, I suppose, but we are talking about a player who missed most of last season with two serious knee injuries. He may not be the player he was when on loan with us. As for the lack of transfer activity, it seems fairly certain that both Vydra and Hernandez priced themselves out of moves here by being greedy. And, as I've said before, the WC always slows down transfer activities. I fully expect things to ramp up over the next few weeks. I've chosen to put my faith in Bielsa until such times as it is no longer warranted. He's been around, knows what's what and supposedly doesn't take any sh*t. If the board was f**king about, I suspect we'd have heard about it!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson