Forest Green Rovers v Leeds United

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Forest Green Rovers v Leeds United

Post by 1964white »

That is the first friendly game I've seen where we haven't used a substitute in the whole 90 minutes
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Cant comment to much on individuals, nobody played badly but FGR were so poor that its hard to judge, 5 players in there i cant see us getting away with in that style in the Championship.

So much time was allowed.

Did like the passing, pass and move, rarely an aimless hoof.

Liked the interchanging of positions, mentioned the Dallas went forward lost the ball, Alioski tracked back covering where Dallas was and then Phillips did the pressing Ali would have done, shows intelligence and awareness so credit Bielsa there.

The full backs pushing on was evident, nice to see then Phillips sitting infront of the back 2.
Encouraged by the style.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

100% record under Bielsa so far
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:12 pm 100% record under Bielsa so far
:-D :-D :-D
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Roofe, Forshaw, Beradi, Cooper, Dallas all highly impressive today, Phillips excellent as the holding mid. Saiz came into it more. Ayling faded badly, but started really well..better ball to Roofe and we'd have been 3-1 up at HT, just lead him too much. Hernandez quiet first better second, and BPF looks quality, one cracking save and some good distribution. Bit of a curates egg from Alio with some daft challenges which are bookings in season and seldom beat his man, but got better as the game wore on.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Still really concerned about pur lack of height.

Not one outfiels player over 6ft1, even with Pontus thats not enough.

Boro for example can make a decent side of players most over 6ft.

Konstantopolous- 6ft5
Shotton- 6ft3
Flint-6ft6
Gibson-6ft1
Friend-6ft2
McNair-6ft3
Howson-5ft9.
Traore-5ft10
Downing -5ft11
Gestede-6ft4
Assombalonga-5ft10.

Half of there outfield players would be taller then anyone we have but Pontus.

Hope we dont underestimate the importance of height.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Hopefully Blackman starts next game as bpf completely flapped at the shot for their goal

Beautiful move for our second

Disappointing to only win by a single goal though
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

danhirons wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:05 pm Hopefully Blackman starts next game as bpf completely flapped at the shot for their goal

I actually managed to see that dan....I didn't think he 'flapped'at all. :duno:
Many goalkeepers would have been beaten by that shot....he very nearly got a hand to it....in fact, the LUTV commentators were just about saying...."what a great save...".....unfair to judge him on that I think....but hey, that is only my humble opinion :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:51 pm Still really concerned about pur lack of height.

Not one outfiels player over 6ft1, even with Pontus thats not enough.

Boro for example can make a decent side of players most over 6ft.

Konstantopolous- 6ft5
Shotton- 6ft3
Flint-6ft6
Gibson-6ft1
Friend-6ft2
McNair-6ft3
Howson-5ft9.
Traore-5ft10
Downing -5ft11
Gestede-6ft4
Assombalonga-5ft10.

Half of there outfield players would be taller then anyone we have but Pontus.

Hope we dont underestimate the importance of height.
A concern for me as I've mentioned previously Cjay. Since we lost Bartley, Taylor, Wood & Doukara we have become a very small squad

Height is so important at set-pieces

How many goals did we score from headers last season?

How many goals did we concede from set-pieces?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:05 pm Hopefully Blackman starts next game as bpf completely flapped at the shot for their goal

We need a proper striker, maybe two if we are a progressive club who realises the championship is a long old season.

We won't be successful when you're main striker scores one in five opportunities & ends up your top goalscorer with about a dozen goals. We need a 20+ goals a season striker, one that can score headers too !
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

I never understand these kind of friendly preseason games, if you win 5-0 it was expected, if you don’t it can raise criticism. Sure I get it is about raising fitness levels but you can better do that playing a team of equal quality. I’m not going to read too much into the first 2-3 friendlies, we’ll get a better idea where we stand a week before the season starts.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Richard wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:39 am I never understand these kind of friendly preseason games, if you win 5-0 it was expected, if you don’t it can raise criticism. Sure I get it is about raising fitness levels but you can better do that playing a team of equal quality. I’m not going to read too much into the first 2-3 friendlies, we’ll get a better idea where we stand a week before the season starts.
Agree Rich, these next few are about trying systems, players in new positions, fitness etc, win lose or draw is insignificant, infact win these games by high margins and fans expectations go up a few notches.
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

Doesn't matter who the manager is with that squad there's no chance of promotion
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

Bally wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:07 am Doesn't matter who the manager is with that squad there's no chance of promotion
Absolutely agreed,,,, look at the strength in depth of some of the other teams squads for example,, Derby, we are MILES behind anything like a squad of decent players. We need 6 or 7 players to come in to look after thing like a competitive squad in this league.

On a positive note, early days under a new manager, and we can stay hopefully for a few more new signings to come in.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Bally wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:07 am Doesn't matter who the manager is with that squad there's no chance of promotion
Spot on.

We are so short of real quality at the moment it's untrue. I am praying there are a lot of iron's in the fire as no matter how good Bielsa is, that team from last night would finish around 10/12th at best.

So disappointed that the ambition of getting in likes of Vydra and/or Hernandez has dwindled and we are seemingly back to looking at bargain basement signings again.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

Disagree with the comments about ayling fading to a degree. He was clearly the main danger first half and they put an extra man out wide left in front of the left back in the second half to void him.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I echo the thoughts of Gurj, Bally & Lev, we lack quality in so many positions

Bielsa has got us looking fit & playing the right way but not for the want of repeating myself he is not a miracle worker
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Brader wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 am Disagree with the comments about ayling fading to a degree. He was clearly the main danger first half and they put an extra man out wide left in front of the left back in the second half to void him.
Indeed they did as Ayling was running riot down the right flank in the first-half, they stemmed his flow with the extra man so he couldn't make those runs or else we would have been well exposed. Ayling still defended well during the second period
gessa

Post by gessa »

Gurj wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:08 am
So disappointed that the ambition of getting in likes of Vydra and/or Hernandez has dwindled and we are seemingly back to looking at bargain basement signings again.
Does make you wonder, these names were being thrown around, the same time that there was a season ticket promotion, they wouldn't, would they?
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

gessa wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:20 am Does make you wonder, these names were being thrown around, the same time that there was a season ticket promotion, they wouldn't, would they?
Its been done before and no doubts it will be done again ; you would hope it wasnt the case this time but nothing would surprise me about our club these days.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!