Liam Cooper

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Liam Cooper

Post by The Subhuman »

Yeah but is it worth risking bad feeling in the dressing room? ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
MightyWhites
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MightyWhites »

faaip wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:09 pm Yeah but is it worth risking bad feeling in the dressing room? ..
Of course it is! It'll show them who's the boss.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

MightyWhites wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:35 pm Of course it is! It'll show them who's the boss.
I'm hoping Pennington remains injury-free & has a couple of stormers v the Blunts & Bristol City then Heck would have to make a firm decision on the captaincy however it would lay a marker down & definitely show who is boss if decided on his captain for the season before tomorrow's game
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Lovely ball to Dallas.

Unfortunately he isn't a ball playing midfielder.

He is a defender, he didn't defend well. The header for the 1st was pathetic.

As captain he should take charge of situations, he didnt.

Didnt justify his selection at all.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

And yet again another manager makes him captain. You just have to wonder why a player that shouldn't be in the starting XI (yes probably better than the alternatives in our squad but we should have bought/loaned in better) should be given the armband? People have a go at Wiedwald yet Cooper should have done better on both goals and should also have scored.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:33 am And yet again another manager makes him captain. You just have to wonder why a player that shouldn't be in the starting XI
I just don't get it one bit :o

Our new No.4 looks captain material to me or even Pontus
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Better from Captain Marvel . . . . .

Defended well on the whole, and finally scored a header.

He can play well, just not consistent.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:09 pm Better from Captain Marvel . . . . .

Defended well on the whole, and finally scored a header.

He can play well, just not consistent.
Coops is up & down like a yo-yo
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

That's the trouble - he needs to do it consistently and stop the reckless tackles too.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

IMO an ok squad player for the Championship but no more than that, for every good game he has a 3 or 4 poor games and a sending off is never far away
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Was a contender for MOTM yesterday

Sorry to sound cynical but I'm just anticipating his next crucial error
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:01 pm IMO an ok squad player for the Championship but no more than that, for every good game he has a 3 or 4 poor games and a sending off is never far away
Indeed Rat :tup: you just can't get carried away with Cooper's decent performances for that reason
1964white

Post by 1964white »

It looks like Liam Cooper's injury was worse then first thought. I would expect to see him again this season.

"Liam`s badly swollen and there was lots of bleeding," Heckingbottom told the Yorkshire Evening Post.

"Time will tell but with the size of it and his lack of mobility at the minute, I can`t see him training for a while."

I'm not a fan of Captain Chaos but I wouldn't wish a bad injury on any footballer, hope he makes a quick recovery
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

As it seems very unlikely we are signing a new cb we will have to get used to Cooper again.

"We never truly recovered from the Millwall game". . . That was him speaking in May i think about a game in September.

What does that say about him and his team mates.

He may be a lovely guy (i think he probably is, seems to be in interviews).

He may be popular with the squad.

He may really try hard and love being at Leeds (hello Kalvin).

He is not now, wasnt when he arrived and never ever will be a promotion level player.

We wont get promoted if Liam Cooper is a regular, happy for that to be rubbed in my face if we do, but i am 100% certain we won't.

Garry Monk knew this (we finished 7th).

How many chances does he get?

He missed 6 7 8 games i cant remember through suspension last season.

He is a liability.

Bielsa is meant to be world class, cant he see that?
Signed

King Cjay

Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

People think that players can't improve once they're past 22/23 now because of FIFA, but there's no reason why Cooper's overall game couldn't take a step up with different coaching. He's looked steady in the preseason games I watched.

The whole team lacked confidence in the second half of last season and that was down to many factors - don't think you can pin that directly on Cooper.

He's another player who gets unfairly criticised imo and one who the boo boys always target... Wonder what that does to a player's game, knowing that some of the fans are baying for him to make a mistake, just so that they can rip him on social media.

People focus on what they want to see and in the case of some of our players, I feel like fans take notes on every mistake rather than focus on the aspects which are positive.

People hated and slated Bamba (the ever hilarious 'Bambi on ice') and said he wasn't good enough for the Championship - too old, too slow etc. He's just been promoted two years after leaving us.

Tom Lees has done well since leaving us - top 6 two years in a row before last season. Was linked with Huddersfield when they went up.

I wish people would leave off the preconceptions of players, or would be willing to let themselves be proved wrong...

People saying that the coaches see more of Vieira etc, so obviously he's not rated, are the same people asking why Cooper is consistently picked - "Can't they see what we're seeing?". We don't see what the coaches see and clearly Cooper is a big influence considering he's been captain for 3 seasons...
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Genghers wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:46 am People think that players can't improve once they're past 22/23 now because of FIFA, but there's no reason why Cooper's overall game couldn't take a step up with different coaching. He's looked steady in the preseason games I watched.

The whole team lacked confidence in the second half of last season and that was down to many factors - don't think you can pin that directly on Cooper.

He's another player who gets unfairly criticised imo and one who the boo boys always target... Wonder what that does to a player's game, knowing that some of the fans are baying for him to make a mistake, just so that they can rip him on social media.

People focus on what they want to see and in the case of some of our players, I feel like fans take notes on every mistake rather than focus on the aspects which are positive.

People hated and slated Bamba (the ever hilarious 'Bambi on ice') and said he wasn't good enough for the Championship - too old, too slow etc. He's just been promoted two years after leaving us.

Tom Lees has done well since leaving us - top 6 two years in a row before last season. Was linked with Huddersfield when they went up.

I wish people would leave off the preconceptions of players, or would be willing to let themselves be proved wrong...

People saying that the coaches see more of Vieira etc, so obviously he's not rated, are the same people asking why Cooper is consistently picked - "Can't they see what we're seeing?". We don't see what the coaches see and clearly Cooper is a big influence considering he's been captain for 3 seasons...
Valid points Genghers but I can't help thinking we missed the boat with not only Bartley but Aden Flint as well, both of whom are better central defenders IMO and are more likely to chip in with a few goals from set pieces.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

I would have liked to see Bartley back as well - he, Jansson and Ayling had a decent chemistry in that season and with Douglas on the left they would have made a solid back four.

Don't know much about Flint other than the fact that he's huge!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Coop is just fine as a CB3, and can do a job this season as our number 2..Still maintain he's not a captain though. We need a proper captain
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

He was brilliant yesterday.

When Berardi totally messed up it looked a certain goal, it should have been, but Liam did excellently.

Great positioning.

He won his headers, he didnt dive in, he was fantastic.

Now he has to be like this more often then not, had good games before.

Time to show consistency.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:46 pm He was brilliant yesterday.

When Berardi totally messed up it looked a certain goal, it should have been, but Liam did excellently.

Great positioning.

He won his headers, he didnt dive in, he was fantastic.

Now he has to be like this more often then not, had good games before.

Time to show consistency.
Agree totally Cjay :tup: