your first leeds utd game live

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hector

Re: your first leeds utd game live

Post by hector »

very rough, put me off going again for a long time.... a lot more than the threat of violence did.....
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I honestly can't remember which was my first game as I saw several around the age of 10 (1974-1975) when I first started supporting Leeds
It would have either been against Ipswich at Portman Road with my dad
Or against Leicester at Filbert Street with my uncle and brother (my brother was a Leicester fan)
Or against Newcastle at St James Park again with my dad (my nan and granddad lived in County Durham). We lost 3-2.
All of those were around that time and it was most likely the Ipswich one.
I remember some epic games against Ipswich when they had a decent side, in particular the FA quarter final in 1975 that four games to separate them, Ipswich finally winning the third replay 3-2. I was inconsolable for days after that.
I think my first ever professional game I saw was when my dad took me to see Sunderland at Roker Park in 1973 when they played Sporting Lisbon in the cup winners cup.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:16 pm I honestly can't remember which was my first game as I saw several around the age of 10 (1974-1975) when I first started supporting Leeds
Or against Leicester at Filbert Street with my uncle and brother (my brother was a Leicester fan)
Or against Newcastle at St James Park again with my dad (my nan and granddad lived in County Durham). We lost 3-2.
I remember some epic games against Ipswich when they had a decent side, in particular the FA quarter final in 1975 that four games to separate them, Ipswich finally winning the third replay 3-2. I was inconsolable for days after that.
I think my first ever professional game I saw was when my dad took me to see Sunderland at Roker Park in 1973 when they played Sporting Lisbon in the cup winners cup.
i was at the ipswich replays at filbert st chilli. first replay 0-0 and on the thursday we lost 3-2 c woods with the winner. like you rightly say they had a good team then.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

leic white 63 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:26 pm i was at the ipswich replays at filbert st chilli. first replay 0-0 and on the thursday we lost 3-2 c woods with the winner. like you rightly say they had a good team then.
Hi Leic
The third replay was two days after the second one which was ridiculous. It can't happen now obviously.
It was a peach of a winner from Woods, curled right into the top corner.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Wimbledon away 99/00 season and it was on sky Super Sunday. Lost 2-0 though :verysad:
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

March 1965 against Everton.
We won 4-1.
It was cold, it snowed and I loved all of it.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

BobHirst wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:14 am March 1965 against Everton.
We won 4-1.
It was cold, it snowed and I loved all of it.
It was freezing Bob but as a kid i didn't notice the cold so much

This is the game, nearly as good as the streams our fans watch now ;-) :lol:

Look at that muddy pitch, players don't have to cope with such extreme conditions anymore

BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

1964white wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:43 am It was freezing Bob but as a kid i didn't notice the cold so much

This is the game, nearly as good as the streams our fans watch now ;-) :lol:

Look at that muddy pitch, players don't have to cope with such extreme conditions anymore

At the start of the new season, the pitches were lovely and green. Then the mud would start to appear. Soon the only green remaining was 4 large triangles in the corners of the pitch. Compared to the rest of the players, I suppose the full backs and wingers had it relatively easy. Billy and the boys in the middle of the field must have been exhausted.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:16 pm I honestly can't remember which was my first game as I saw several around the age of 10 (1974-1975) when I first started supporting Leeds
I remember some epic games against Ipswich when they had a decent side
, in particular the FA quarter final in 1975 that four games to separate them, Ipswich finally winning the third replay 3-2. I was inconsolable for days after that.
Coincidently Chilli I was looking for something amongst boxes of 'stuff' in the loft this afternoon and came across a lone footie programme - Ipswich v Leeds from Monday 8th October 1973 (k.o. 7.30pm). A 1st Rd League Cup game. Cost of the programme 6p !!

I didn't go to the game, so must be from some old programmes I picked up ages ago at a car boot or something.

Team for the game was - whoever did go carefully and neatly noted the team changes, as below:
1. David Harvey
2. Paul Reaney
3. Trevor Cherry
4. Billy Bremner
5. Roy Ellam (change to programme listing, which was Gordon McQueen)
6. Norman HUnter
7. Shaun O'Neill (change to programme listing, which was Peter Lorimer)
8. Terry Yorath (change to programme listing, which was Allan Clarke)
9. Mick Jones
10. Paul Madeley (change to programme listing, which was Johnny Giles)
11. Frank Gray (change to programme listing, which was Paul Madeley)

How times change - middle page advert in the programme is for Players No.6 Filter Virginia (which if you're interested were 21p for 20 in 1973 !!)

:moggy:
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

First game was at Molineux january 1976 Wolves 1 -1 Leeds my dad took me as a birthday present for my 12th birthday.
First game at ER was January 1st 1985 v Man City another 1-1 draw.
Did any of you go to the Telford v Leeds Fa Cup tie at the hawthorns
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Bally wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:22 pm First game was at Molineux january 1976 Wolves 1 -1 Leeds my dad took me as a birthday present for my 12th birthday.

Another, how many others on here were born n 1964 ?? :moggy:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bally wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:22 pm First game was at Molineux january 1976 Wolves 1 -1 Leeds my dad took me as a birthday present for my 12th birthday.
No Bally I didn't do the Telford game but I was at the Wolves game in '76, can't remember who scored the Leeds goal though
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

1964white wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 pm No Bally I didn't do the Telford game but I was at the Wolves game in '76, can't remember who scored the Leeds goal though
I'm pretty sure Duncan McKenzie crossed it from the right and it was put in by a Wolves player
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bally wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:00 pm I'm pretty sure Duncan McKenzie crossed it from the right and it was put in by a Wolves player
So it was a own goal Bally. I can't remember much of the game tbh
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

i was at the telford game mate. was the coldest day ive ever been to a football match. it was absolutely freezing it shouldnt never have been played bit of a farce really but the west midland police just wanted it played and leeds fans out of the way regardless. went every round that year swindon night game , the sat or sun game was also called off due to the bad weather. qpr at home what an atmosphere that day ! wigan, we beat the police roadblocks that day and we was very very lucky to bump into a leeds fan early in the morning having two spare tickets . seem to remember very windy that day with a micky adams screamer. at the semi but say no more :verysad: :verysad:
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

leic white 63 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 am i was at the telford game mate. was the coldest day ive ever been to a football match. it was absolutely freezing it shouldnt never have been played bit of a farce really but the west midland police just wanted it played and leeds fans out of the way regardless. went every round that year swindon night game , the sat or sun game was also called off due to the bad weather. qpr at home what an atmosphere that day ! wigan, we beat the police roadblocks that day and we was very very lucky to bump into a leeds fan early in the morning having two spare tickets . seem to remember very windy that day with a micky adams screamer. at the semi but say no more :verysad: :verysad:
Oh yes it was bloody cold there's v brief highlights of the game on you tube although it doesn't show the Telford goal.
I was also at the QPR game unfortunately couldn't get a ticket for the semi final so watched it on tv
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

Bally wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:37 am Oh yes it was bloody cold there's v brief highlights of the game on you tube although it doesn't show the Telford goal.
I was also at the QPR game unfortunately couldn't get a ticket for the semi final so watched it on tv
three of us drove up from leicester mid week when the semi final tickets went on general sale . we left around 5am and the queues when we arrived around 630 were ridiculours long . it was absolute mayhem . seem to remember they called in the mounted police to keep order. we honestly feared we would just miss out but we was very lucky and eventually get our tickets . we was in the seats on the side and when i look back to see how the leeds fans were ridiculously packed in the lepping road end terrace i wasnt at all surprised at all what happened at hillsborough a few years later. could have easily been our fans that day. r.i.p to all the liverpool fans that lost there lives that day.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

I think my first game was at ER v Plymouth, would have been about 85, think we won 2 - 0 and Shezza scored. Crowd was about 13,000 I think. Going to have a google and see if I can dredge up some details cos that may all be old twaddle, but I have at least attended games where all those were true :lol: we were in the old second division then and I think it cost £1 to get in.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:57 pm I think my first game was at ER v Plymouth, would have been about 85, think we won 2 - 0 and Shezza scored. Crowd was about 13,000 I think. Going to have a google and see if I can dredge up some details cos that may all be old twaddle, but I have at least attended games where all those were true :lol: we were in the old second division then and I think it cost £1 to get in.
Hmmm....seems like I’m confused, that Plymouth game was 87 and we won 4 - 0, but Shez did score :tup: