What's on the menu tonight ladies 'n' gentlemen !

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Re: What's on the menu tonight ladies 'n' gentlemen !

Post by leic white 63 »

egg n chips tonight with loads of bread n butter .sod the calories.
hector

Post by hector »

It's the carbs that put the belly on you though..... Not the calories
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

We've been going Cajun lately. Crawfish pie last night. Red beans and sausage are simmering on the stove right now for dinner tonight. As soon as the weather cools a little more I will make gumbo. This weekend, however, will bring Mexican in the form of posole and chorizo quesadillas.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:14 pm We've been going Cajun lately. Crawfish pie last night. Red beans and sausage are simmering on the stove right now for dinner tonight. As soon as the weather cools a little more I will make gumbo. This weekend, however, will bring Mexican in the form of posole and chorizo quesadillas.
what is gumbo john ?

enjoy your mexican at weekend . far far to spicey for my pallet.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

leic white 63 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:35 pm what is gumbo john ?

enjoy your mexican at weekend . far far to spicey for my pallet.
Gumbo is a very hearty soup/stew that is made with a stock of dark roux and the Cajun "holy trinity" of celery, bell pepper, and onion. It is then spiced with Cajun seasoning and file powder. Meat of some sort is then added; popular combinations include chicken or duck and sausage and various combinations of fish, shrimp, and crab. It's then served over rice. I make mine by adding an entire hen to the pot and simmering for a few hours along with some pork and garlic sausage from either LeJeune's in Eunice, Louisiana or Johnson's Boucaniere in Lafayette. Picking the skin and bones out of the pot is a tremendous pain in the neck, but the flavor is unbeatable.

It's generally considered a cold weather dish. In South Louisiana there are three seasons: summer, crawfish season, and gumbo weather.

In New Orleans some people add tomato and/or okra, but they're philistines. No self respecting Cajun - at least not those from Lafayette, Louisiana where I hail from - would ever add either. The Signature gumbo at Rachael's in Lafayette is worth the cost of the plane ticket.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:20 pm Gumbo is a very hearty soup/stew that is made with a stock of dark roux and the Cajun "holy trinity" of celery, bell pepper, and onion. It is then spiced with Cajun seasoning and file powder. Meat of some sort is then added; popular combinations include chicken or duck and sausage and various combinations of fish, shrimp, and crab. It's then served over rice. I make mine by adding an entire hen to the pot and simmering for a few hours along with some pork and garlic sausage from either LeJeune's in Eunice, Louisiana or Johnson's Boucaniere in Lafayette. Picking the skin and bones out of the pot is a tremendous pain in the neck, but the flavor is unbeatable.
Sounds & I suspect it's taste is delicious John
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:28 pm It's the carbs that put the belly on you though..... Not the calories
So potatoes, pasta, and bread which I love & eat every day are the reasons why I have not lost too much weight around my small tummy area.....jeez at this rate there'll be nothing left to eat :(
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:20 pm Gumbo is a very hearty soup/stew that is made with a stock of dark roux and the Cajun "holy trinity" of celery, bell pepper, and onion. It is then spiced with Cajun seasoning and file powder. Meat of some sort is then added; popular combinations include chicken or duck and sausage and various combinations of fish, shrimp, and crab. It's then served over rice. I make mine by adding an entire hen to the pot and simmering for a few hours along with some pork and garlic sausage from either LeJeune's in Eunice, Louisiana or Johnson's Boucaniere in Lafayette. Picking the skin and bones out of the pot is a tremendous pain in the neck, but the flavor is unbeatable.

It's generally considered a cold weather dish. In South Louisiana there are three seasons: summer, crawfish season, and gumbo weather.

In New Orleans some people add tomato and/or okra, but they're philistines. No self respecting Cajun - at least not those from Lafayette, Louisiana where I hail from - would ever add either. The Signature gumbo at Rachael's in Lafayette is worth the cost of the plane ticket.
wow thats one hell of a stew fella. sounds like you got half of a farm and the ocean in it :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Time for Sweet & Sour Chicken (homemade of course) :-D
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Monday to Friday strict calorie count. Sat/Sun I eat whatever I want, so this evening I had ricotta and spinach cannelloni with rocket, tomatoes, cucumber and radishes. Enough calories left for a couple of glasses of white and a bag of nibbles :)
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:56 pm Monday to Friday strict calorie count. Sat/Sun I eat whatever I want, so this evening I had ricotta and spinach cannelloni with rocket, tomatoes, cucumber and radishes. Enough calories left for a couple of glasses of white and a bag of nibbles :)
And how do you find that system works Ducky?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

leic white 63 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:26 am eg2g n chips tonight with loads of bread n butter .sod the calories.
I love egg and chips. I make low calorie chips though. Tinned potatoes sliced up, into a pan sprayed with one cal oil and heat on medium 10 mins per side. They brown nicely, taste yummy and are a lot less calories :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:56 pm Monday to Friday strict calorie count. Sat/Sun I eat whatever I want, so this evening I had ricotta and spinach cannelloni with rocket, tomatoes, cucumber and radishes. Enough calories left for a couple of glasses of white and a bag of nibbles :)
We might try that Swannie, sounds delicious....probably mix some mushrooms & onions with it

I love spinach, shame I haven't got muscles like Popeye :lol:
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 pm I love egg and chips. I make low calorie chips though. Tinned potatoes sliced up, into a pan sprayed with one cal oil and heat on medium 10 mins per side. They brown nicely, taste yummy and are a lot less calories :)
get yerself an air fryer Ducky..... wonderful machine, and doesn't use oil.......
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 pm And how do you find that system works Ducky?
A couple of years ago I cut out night time chocolate and crisps, went to a 1500 cals a day and lost two stone. I then gradually allowed myself a non counting day, Sunday. I maintained the same weight, so then allowed a non counting Saturday as well to see if I could still maintain. I could, so I now allow myself a little night time treat, every night, still keeping within the 1500 cals. If we go away for a few days, like up to Wakefield to see my folks, then I eat what I want, and then back on the regime as soon as we're back. I do weigh myself every Saturday morning...just to keep a check on things.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:07 pm We might try that Swannie, sounds delicious....probably mix some mushrooms & onions with it

I love spinach, shame I haven't got muscles like Popeye :lol:
I hqve to admit though 64 that I didn't make the cannelloni myself. It was a shop bought one. It's easier for me sometimes because the calories are already added up for me. A homemade one with added mushrooms would be fab :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:11 pm get yerself an air fryer Ducky..... wonderful machine, and doesn't use oil.......
Never heard of that hector :duno: I'll have to have a Google :)
hector

Post by hector »

makes wonderful real chips with about 10 calories of oil squirted on, because I like em brown..

did a cheese toastie in it at the weekend and was lovely

AND....

did jacket spuds in it last week, 40 mins and the skin was lovely....

Well worth the £40 I had prised out of my hands by Mrs H.....
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:15 pm I hqve to admit though 64 that I didn't make the cannelloni myself. It was a shop bought one. It's easier for me sometimes because the calories are already added up for me. A homemade one with added mushrooms would be fab :)
I've told Leon he can make it himself ;-) that should be a disaster in the kitchen :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:25 pm makes wonderful real chips with about 10 calories of oil squirted on, because I like em brown..

did a cheese toastie in it at the weekend and was lovely

AND....

did jacket spuds in it last week, 40 mins and the skin was lovely....

Well worth the £40 I had prised out of my hands by Mrs H.....
Sounds impressive hector
I've Just had a look at them, lots of different prices. £40 sounds reasonable....good old Mrs H (especially for managing to prize the dosh out of your hands :lol: )