Other fans forum opinions

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Other fans opinions - oh this is fun reading !!!

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:36 pm When filling out the questionaire form which team did you say you supported ?

And what is that Brentford question all about Cjay.....Wembley or Deepdale ?
Im pretty sure i said Leeds, i dont think ive ever lied on these forums when asked on registration.

I dunno mate, i cant remember the question, i joined ages ago, its probably different.

Just tell the truth
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Other fans opinions

Post by Cjay »

Try to learn as much about our history as i can but can anyone enlighten me on this

"losing league titles in controversial circumstances against Wolves, and WBA"

Whats this about?
Signed

King Cjay

leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:27 pm Try to learn as much about our history as i can but can anyone enlighten me on this

"losing league titles in controversial circumstances against Wolves, and WBA"

Whats this about?
i presume it was when we lost to wba in the early 70s over a controversial off side cost us the title and against wolves in 72 made to play a couple days after the final.

billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

I think the Wolves “ controversy “ may be about the allegations that Don Revie tried to bribe them to throw the match . This also led to Gary Sprake becoming persona non grata for the part he played in the affair . As I remember the FA did agree to a postponement provided that Leeds agreed to not field Hunter , Madeley or Clarke who had all been picked for England duty ( 2nd leg of European championship game versus West Germany )!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

leic white 63 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:32 pm i presume it was when we lost to wba in the early 70s over a controversial off side cost us the title and against wolves in 72 made to play a couple days after the final.

I was there !

A very sad day :(
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

leic white 63 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:32 pm i presume it was when we lost to wba in the early 70s over a controversial off side cost us the title and against wolves in 72 made to play a couple days after the final.

Oh i see so we were unlucky to not win 2 more titles as well as the European and Cup winners cup?

Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:05 pm Oh i see so we were unlucky to not win 2 more titles as well as the European and Cup winners cup?

Robbed at Villa Park too in a cup semi-final v Chelsea in 1967

Leeds were losing 1-0 into the last five minutes, Terry Cooper was adjudged to be offside as we thought we'd scored an equaliser, then we had a free-kick on the edge of the box. Lorimer steps up & hits a thunderbolt into the top corner of the net, Leeds fans go wild only for the official Ken (b*st*rd) Burns to disallow the goal because the Chelsea wall wasn't ten yards back :roll:

We were robbed of at least five trophies in the Revie-era, the hatred for Leeds stemmed further than just the other clubs & their supporters
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

Absolute joke..... I mean can you imagine if that happened nowadays,,,, unreal.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

LevLeeds wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:36 am Absolute joke..... I mean can you imagine if that happened nowadays,,,, unreal.
I never realised that Eric Idle did football commentary before moving on to the Pythons
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 am Robbed at Villa Park too in a cup semi-final v Chelsea in 1967

Leeds were losing 1-0 into the last five minutes, Terry Cooper was adjudged to be offside as we thought we'd scored an equaliser, then we had a free-kick on the edge of the box. Lorimer steps up & hits a thunderbolt into the top corner of the net, Leeds fans go wild only for the official Ken (b*st*rd) Burns to disallow the goal because the Chelsea wall wasn't ten yards back :roll:

We were robbed of at least five trophies in the Revie-era, the hatred for Leeds stemmed further than just the other clubs & their supporters
SOme people would call that paranoia though.

Not saying it is, but can you really be robbed that many times, or does there come a point where you have to admit the club just underachieved?
Signed

King Cjay

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Cjay wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:05 pm Oh i see so we were unlucky to not win 2 more titles as well as the European and Cup winners cup?

Don't get me started about the European Cup Final in'75
I will never forgive that cheating robbing b***tard of a referee for depriving us of Europe's biggest prize in club football.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:22 pm SOme people would call that paranoia though.

Not saying it is, but can you really be robbed that many times, or does there come a point where you have to admit the club just underachieved?
Certainly not paranoia Cjay, you weren't around to dispute it mate

All the diabolical decisions, disallowed goals, referees names, venue & year are still in my memory-box & will remain there until the day I die.

It was bordering on criminal mate & by golly it hurt to think we'd been cheated out of a game which ultimately cost us trophies
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:50 pm Certainly not paranoia Cjay, you weren't around to dispute it mate

All the diabolical decisions, disallowed goals, referees names, venue & year are still in my memory-box & will remain there until the day I die.

It was bordering on criminal mate & by golly it hurt to think we'd been cheated out of a game which ultimately cost us trophies
No i know, i can only go on what im told. :)

Like i can watch the games and i can see yes they were physical but they played some lovely stuff, not just a "dirty" side at all i can see that for myself.

But the "cheated" stuff i can only go on what people like you and others say, other fans would call it paranoia and sour grapes tiz all im saying, not saying it is at all, just i can see both sides because i dont have 1st hand knowledge.

I can see from reading we were runner up a heck of a lot.

3 FA Cups, an INter City Fairs Cup, 5 league titles!!!!!!1

Had things been a bit different Revie would have been a 4 time FA Cup WInner and a 8 time First Division winner :(

Would have been the 2nd most successful league title winner in English Football history
Signed

King Cjay

leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

bitd we was known as the bridesmaids. should have won a lot more than we actually did and certainly would have done if it wasnt for certain cheating individuals and bribery. to anyone who actually didnt know thats why we sing we are the champions, champions of europe bit of tongue in cheek really because in our eyes and in our hearts we would have won the european cup if it wasnt for being cheated out of it. words cant describe how good that side actually was . they was that good every gran in the land bitd could have named that side ! enough said.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:59 pm No i know, i can only go on what im told. :)

Like i can watch the games and i can see yes they were physical but they played some lovely stuff, not just a "dirty" side at all i can see that for myself.

But the "cheated" stuff i can only go on what people like you and others say, other fans would call it paranoia and sour grapes tiz all im saying, not saying it is at all, just i can see both sides because i dont have 1st hand knowledge.

I can see from reading we were runner up a heck of a lot.

3 FA Cups, an INter City Fairs Cup, 5 league titles!!!!!!1

Had things been a bit different Revie would have been a 4 time FA Cup WInner and a 8 time First Division winner :(

Would have been the 2nd most successful league title winner in English Football history
We appeared in four FA Cup Finals & not robbed in any of them

Liverpool - awful cup final
Chelsea - outplayed them at Wembley & in the replay at Old Trafford, an unfortunate defeat
Arsenal - we won
Sunderland - just a bad day at the office
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Cjay wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:22 pm SOme people would call that paranoia though.

I was there to see it and I believe you are mostly correct. Leeds were hated and there were some very dubious decisions went against them. At the same time they definitely under achieved given the quality of the team. You have to give Revie a lot of credit for getting the team to the top but by the same reasoning he has to be accountable for not winning more.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:04 pm We appeared in three FA Cup Finals & not robbed in any of them

Liverpool - awful cup final
Chelsea - outplayed them at Wembley & in the replay at Old Trafford, an unfortunate defeat
Arsenal - we won
perfectly summed up .
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:04 pm We appeared in three FA Cup Finals & not robbed in any of them

Arsenal - we won
Says we were runners up in 64/65 69/70 and 72/73 so we must have been in 4 with the one we won?

And hurry up getting on the Brentford forum, its all stuff 20 years before i was born. :)

It was four FA Cup Finals, my mind went blank there
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

BobHirst wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:14 pm I was there to see it and I believe you are mostly correct. Leeds were hated and there were some very dubious decisions went against them. At the same time they definitely under achieved given the quality of the team. You have to give Revie a lot of credit for getting the team to the top but by the same reasoning he has to be accountable for not winning more.
Thats sort of what i thought.

Yes there may have been some dodgy moments and decisions.

But so many runners up places, at some point it surely means that given the quality of the side then it has to be said that the Revie side did underachieve.

Did some great things, had some awful luck, but could and maybe should have won so much more?
Signed

King Cjay

billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

Cjay wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm Says we were runners up in 64/65 69/70 and 72/73 so we must have been in 4 with the one we won?

And hurry up getting on the Brentford forum, its all stuff 20 years before i was born. :)
Leeds lost the 65 FA cup final 2 - 1 against Liverpool after extra time .