We Came Through It

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

We Came Through It

Post by Cjay »

In 3rd place :)

Bad refs, bad luck, bad injuries, poor finishing, bit of luck here and there.

Boro, Millwall, Sheffield Wednesday, Hull, Birmingham, Preston, Brentford.

3 of those are top 7. 1 of those is a team where we notoriously struggle at there place, 1 is a Yorkshire derby and another is one of the best footballing sides in the league.

We lost to Birmingham, 5 of the top 7 have had points taken off them by Birmingham.

On the face of it we have dropped points and fallen out of the top 2.

But we have only lost once, we still have the 2nd best attack and defence.

How would Brentford cope without Maupey, Watkins, Canos and Mepham for example.

How would Boro cope without Assombalonga, Braithwaite, Hugil and Ayala.

How would West Brom cope without Rodriguez, Gayle, Barnes and Bartley.

How would Villa cope without Kodjia, Abraham, Grealish and Chester.

It goes on and on.

How does a side cope without there 2 best strikers, most creative player and one of there 1st choice cbs pre injury.

Not ideal for 1 game, devastating for 5 or 6.

You would expect a downturn in goals, we had that.

You would expect less creativity and a less fluid style, in some cases yes, but not for all,

You would expect to be less solid because the ball may not stick further forward so much, that happened.

And yet, we lost 1 game.

We should have beaten Wednesday, we had the chances to beat Millwall to.

We can blame refs and whatever.

It took wonder goals, disputed penalties, time wasting and gamesmanship to take points off us.

And we should be proud of that :)

Nobody hammered us.

Nobody had an easy ride, we made chances.

Sometimes wonder goals happen, sometimes controversial penalties happen, tiz what it is.

You know what else happens, under strength and injury ravaged, doesnt matter.

Millwall, Wednesday, Brentford, we fought back.

No Hernandez, no Roofe, no Bamford, no Berardi.

A teenage striker, a 21 year old winger with less then 10 league games to his name, a couple of teenagers on the bench, no problem.

Clarkey comes on and rips your fb a new one.
Roberts scores goals.
Harrison rifles in a shot from 25 yards.
Jansson rises like a salmon.

This side has something about it.

The football wasnt always as fluid, the chances wernt always taken, the passing wasnt always perfect.

But would any of our rivals have coped any better?

Doubt it.

Have we been "found out" like some of our rival fans say?

Are we overrated?

You lose the equivalent players we have then see how you do.

Onwards and upwards :shirtw: :clapp: :scarfe2:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: We Came Through It

Post by Dalton »

Equalisers against Swansea/Millwall and Brentford in last 5 mins.

proof that we play for the full 90
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Well said. an inspired bit of writing, now you just need a Richard Burton in a Richard the lionheart battle dress to deliver it
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Completely agree CJ.

West Brom and the Blunts have beaten the struggling teams, not teams at the top. Let's see how they get on when the injuries hit :tup:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Well said. an inspired bit of writing, now you just need a Richard Burton in a Richard the lionheart battle dress to deliver it
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:51 pm Well said. an inspired bit of writing, now you just need a Richard Burton in a Richard the lionheart battle dress to deliver it
Or a Parrott :)
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dalton wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:32 pm Equalisers against Swansea/Millwall and Brentford in last 5 mins.

proof that we play for the full 90
As oppose to the last few seasons
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Indeed Cjay I'd have been disappointed if someone said to me you'll only acquire nine points out of the next six games however bearing in mind all our injury problems & bad luck I'm happy with what we have achieved. Such a shame as I feel we would have a four points lead at the top of the table especially if we'd had Hernandez & Roofe to call on.

Points that have come out of the last six games :

We've missed Pablo & Roofe, goals have been at a premium without them
Pontus is easily our best defender, the majority of us knew that from day one.
Alioski looks a more assured player in the LB role.
Phillips bounced back with assured performances after being hauled off v Brum.
Peacock-Farrell shown his metal since his Brum lapses
Klich still impressing.
Roberts has impressed upfront.
Saiz & Alioski miss Hernandez
Clarke looks more than capable of coping with championship football after his cameo appearance v the Bees.
Harrison is only a bit player
Dallas is not a left back or a central midfielder, not sure what he is tbh.
Edmondson doesn't look quite ready going on his one sub appearance.
Baker & Forshaw still waiting to impress
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Can’t disagree with any of that CJ. Bielsa seems to have brought a cohesion to the whole club. I think what is telling is that everything about the club has been about football this season less of a circus act. Still early days of what we want to achieve but the club at last appears to be on solid foundations to deliver success long term.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:20 pm How would Brentford cope without Maupey, Watkins, Canos and Mepham for example
You should have put that question to those Bees fans :lol:

I'd have loved to hear their replies........"Leeds fans making excuses" I suspect
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

p.s. - forgot to say that January will be interesting to see what Bielsa has made of the squad, given the slim nature you would have thought Radz has ample room to support MB in the areas he has decided are deficient to push on in the new year. A window we’ve traditionally made very hard work of to say the least.
Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:53 pm Indeed Cjay I'd have been disappointed if someone said to me you'll only acquire nine points out of the next six games however bearing in mind all our injury problems & bad luck I'm happy with what we have achieved. Such a shame as I feel we would have a four points lead at the top of the table especially if we'd had Hernandez & Roofe to call on.

Points that have come out of the last six games :

We've missed Pablo & Roofe, goals have been at a premium without them
Pontus is easily our best defender, the majority of us knew that from day one.
Alioski looks a more assured player in the LB role.
Phillips bounced back with assured performances after being hauled off v Brum.
Peacock-Farrell shown his metal since his Brum lapses
Klich still impressing.
Roberts has impressed upfront.
Saiz & Alioski miss Hernandez
Clarke looks more than capable of coping with championship football after his cameo appearance v the Bees.
Harrison is only a bit player
Dallas is not a left back or a central midfielder, not sure what he is tbh.
Edmondson doesn't look quite ready going on his one sub appearance.
Baker & Forshaw still waiting to impress
I thought Forshaw looked better on Saturday and is still getting up to speed, Beilsa rates him highly which is good enough for me! I thought Baker looked good when he came on at Swansea and last Saturday, he has only had 5 minutes here and there in between that, I would be happy if they had to come in to the starting 11
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Cjay wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:20 pm In 3rd place :)

Bad refs, bad luck, bad injuries, poor finishing, bit of luck here and there.

Boro, Millwall, Sheffield Wednesday, Hull, Birmingham, Preston, Brentford.

3 of those are top 7. 1 of those is a team where we notoriously struggle at there place, 1 is a Yorkshire derby and another is one of the best footballing sides in the league.

We lost to Birmingham, 5 of the top 7 have had points taken off them by Birmingham.

On the face of it we have dropped points and fallen out of the top 2.

But we have only lost once, we still have the 2nd best attack and defence.

How would Brentford cope without Maupey, Watkins, Canos and Mepham for example.

How would Boro cope without Assombalonga, Braithwaite, Hugil and Ayala.

How would West Brom cope without Rodriguez, Gayle, Barnes and Bartley.

How would Villa cope without Kodjia, Abraham, Grealish and Chester.

It goes on and on.

How does a side cope without there 2 best strikers, most creative player and one of there 1st choice cbs pre injury.

Not ideal for 1 game, devastating for 5 or 6.

You would expect a downturn in goals, we had that.

You would expect less creativity and a less fluid style, in some cases yes, but not for all,

You would expect to be less solid because the ball may not stick further forward so much, that happened.

And yet, we lost 1 game.

We should have beaten Wednesday, we had the chances to beat Millwall to.

We can blame refs and whatever.

It took wonder goals, disputed penalties, time wasting and gamesmanship to take points off us.

And we should be proud of that :)

Nobody hammered us.

Nobody had an easy ride, we made chances.

Sometimes wonder goals happen, sometimes controversial penalties happen, tiz what it is.

You know what else happens, under strength and injury ravaged, doesnt matter.

Millwall, Wednesday, Brentford, we fought back.

No Hernandez, no Roofe, no Bamford, no Berardi.

A teenage striker, a 21 year old winger with less then 10 league games to his name, a couple of teenagers on the bench, no problem.

Clarkey comes on and rips your fb a new one.
Roberts scores goals.
Harrison rifles in a shot from 25 yards.
Jansson rises like a salmon.

This side has something about it.

The football wasnt always as fluid, the chances wernt always taken, the passing wasnt always perfect.

But would any of our rivals have coped any better?

Doubt it.

Have we been "found out" like some of our rival fans say?

Are we overrated?

You lose the equivalent players we have then see how you do.

Onwards and upwards :shirtw: :clapp: :scarfe2:
Cjay, The thought and research that goes into your posts never ceases to amaze me.

The cold hard facts are there for all to see.
Key members of the squad missing for over half the games so far and still only one defeat.
This squad definitely has something about it, for the first time in a long time I'm not watching games with trepidation expecting us to lose.
There are some good sides in the Championship but none we should fear from what I have seen so far.
West Brom have an excellent front four which should test us defensively to our very limit but we have Roofe, Roberts, Hernandez, Klich and Saiz so let them worry about us.
For the first time in a long time we have a real chance of promotion and I'm not talking about the lottery that is the play-offs.
There's a long way to go and a lot of games still to play but we can do this, I really believe it.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Newport white wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:16 pm I thought Forshaw looked better on Saturday and is still getting up to speed, Beilsa rates him highly which is good enough for me! I thought Baker looked good when he came on at Swansea and last Saturday, he has only had 5 minutes here and there in between that, I would be happy if they had to come in to the starting 11
Both were fine & although they've had limited time to show their colours Forshaw & Baker are nowhere the standard of the players Klich, Phillips & Saiz who they are likely to replace yet
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I still worry about this semi-constant subbing of Klich, although Bielsa seems to know his value overall.
Another conundrum!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

...but, if we ever get out from under the injury list, we may be pleasantly surprised.
tbh the season seems like it's half over instead of the quarter it's been.
Fingers, toes and sphericals crossed for a bit of luck.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:41 am I still worry about this semi-constant subbing of Klich, although Bielsa seems to know his value overall.
Another conundrum!
It's a strange one Norm taking off one of your potential scorers who can score a goal out of nothing
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Norm wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:41 am I still worry about this semi-constant subbing of Klich, although Bielsa seems to know his value overall.
Another conundrum!
I wonder if it is an illness related thing and that he suffers from fatigue or something similar whereby his performance levels would drop off say after the 60 minute mark. I am sure all the analysis and monitoring that is done would quickly show up if someone's performance levels dipped consistently at certain points in the match. For me that would seem the only really sensible reason because as others have pointed out, and as the stats show, Klich is much more of a goal threat, by either scoring or creating, than Forshaw who replaces him. That said Saiz has also been subbed a couple of times recently late in games where I am sure most fans would have left him on in the hope he could have gotten us a crucial goal.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:00 pm You should have put that question to those Bees fans :lol:

I'd have loved to hear their replies........"Leeds fans making excuses" I suspect
Nearly did, it was implied, just never said it. :)

Didnt want to annoy them, try not to do that on those threads
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:12 am I wonder if it is an illness related thing and that he suffers from fatigue or something similar whereby his performance levels would drop off say after the 60 minute mark. I am sure all the analysis and monitoring that is done would quickly show up if someone's performance levels dipped consistently at certain points in the match. For me that would seem the only really sensible reason because as others have pointed out, and as the stats show, Klich is much more of a goal threat, by either scoring or creating, than Forshaw who replaces him. That said Saiz has also been subbed a couple of times recently late in games where I am sure most fans would have left him on in the hope he could have gotten us a crucial goal.
Thought that, with those vest things they wear and the laptops, that must be full of performance data.

But the subs are so consistent and very rarely differ, same players off same players on, i just wonder if thats just how Bielsa wants it, doesnt make much sense, but there you go.
Signed

King Cjay