Bargain topic

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Bargain topic

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:23 pm Last sunday at a car boot I got a brand new t shirt with "we are two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl"

for the princely sum of....

50p

bargain
Nice work

Have a Cigar
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

at a recent record fair i picked up Just like Heaven 12 by the Cure for a couple of quid and Olivers Army for a quid

Wanted Food for Thought UB40 EP but couldnt find it
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Absolutely beautiful here today probably the last summer's day of the year :sun: so at 12.30pm Jill & I decided ditch work & spend another couple of hours walking along Bridlington's coastline.

After a chilly morning I donned my shorts, t-shirt & flip-flops & headed north, sat outside a cafe for coffee, popped into the 'Cats' charity shop where the lady who runs the store is always welcoming to me, asked her she had changed the CD product as she regular does, she said "no but come with me" so into the back room we marched & she allowed me peruse the CD's destined for the shop shelves.
She said "I have some box sets her but I don't want to put them out for 50p" I advised her she'd probably get £3 for them as I plucked the Johnny Cash 'The Real' 3cd set off the shelves which looked in immaculate condition, the kind lady said I could have it for £2.50 :-D I also picked out a couple @ 50p

Johnny Cash 'The Real' not a bargain of such as you can buy it cheaply on Amazon however 88 songs remastered from the original Columbia & Sun records recordings in nice packaging sleeves

Carole King 'The Early Years' a 'Hallmark' cheap budget label recording nevertheless only two of this CD available on Amazon, one @ £8 & the other nearly £60. Anyway always nice to have another album on my shelves from one of the finest singer/songwriters of all-time

Lily Allen 'It's Not Me, It's You - I know, I know I know :duno: but I really enjoy some of the female singers of late such as Rita Ora, Janelle Monae, Beyonce, I even like a song being constantly played on the radio by Little Mix :shock: took a chance on this CD as I do like a couple of Allen's songs
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:20 am I received £500 from work for 30 years service and I was looking to put it towards a new watch, after shopping round I picked a Raymond Weil Tango chronograph priced at £1,095 in all the high st jewellers but I found it online with Bradley’s for £547, 50% cheaper.... ordered and arrived 2 days later..... delighted with it. All i need to do now is learn how to tell the time!! :lol:
Timeless Rich :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Check out AO.Com folks for all your :

Entertainment
Computing
Phones & Smart Tech
Dishwashers
Fridges & Freezers
Cooking
Small Appliances
Floorcare

http://ao.com/l/freezers-white/1-17/32/ ... agesize=12

We've bought all our electrical/computer products from this company over the last two years

Arrived today :

Acer Chromebook as I dropped mine & buckled the screen although it is still usable. Good thing is a mate has offered me £50 for it to use at the bowls club

Bosch Steam Generator - £100 cheaper than Curry's

AO offer free & next day delivery......great prices & a great service !

Probably saved me £175 :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:31 pm Lily Allen 'It's Not Me, It's You - I know, I know I know :duno: but I really enjoy some of the female singers of late such as Rita Ora, Janelle Monae, Beyonce, I even like a song being constantly played on the radio by Little Mix :shock: took a chance on this CD as I do like a couple of Allen's songs
Absolutely loving this album, wonderful crafted pop music from Lily

Must post up a song on the MD thread
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:48 pm Absolutely loving this album, wonderful crafted pop music from Lily

Must post up a song on the MD thread
She did a song off her new album at the Mercury's , very good performance tbf.
hector

Post by hector »

No time for the attention seeking trollop....

So haven't heard anything of hers....
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:11 pm She did a song off her new album at the Mercury's , very good performance tbf.
I'll be searching out the charity shops as I often see her cd's going for 50p/£1 :)

Jill was jitterbugging to her album in the car last night on our way to a restaurant

From her new album

This one Ges ?

gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:55 pm I'll be searching out the charity shops as I often see her cd's going for 50p/£1 :)

Jill was jitterbugging to her album in the car last night on our way to a restaurant

From her new album

This one Ges ?

That's the one...Nice performance.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:30 pm That's the one...Nice performance.
Yes nice mate, that is quite different to the album I have although she does a couple of ballads in 'It's Not Me, It's You'. There are some decent female vocalists around who don't screech like some did a few years ago
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:42 pm Yes nice mate, that is quite different to the album I have although she does a couple of ballads in 'It's Not Me, It's You'. There are some decent female vocalists around who don't screech like some did a few years ago
First Aid Kit
This Is The Kit
Emily Barker
Hurray for the Riff Raff
Natalie Merchant
Alice Phoebe Lou
Aoife O'Donovan
Courtney Barnett
Daughter
Bat For Lashes
Jess Williamson
Lana Del Rey
Aurora
Elle King
Lady Lamb
Mo Kenney
Nadine Shah
Sharon Van Etten
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:30 pm First Aid Kit
This Is The Kit
Emily Barker
Hurray for the Riff Raff
Natalie Merchant
Alice Phoebe Lou
Aoife O'Donovan
Courtney Barnett
Daughter
Bat For Lashes
Jess Williamson
Lana Del Rey
Aurora
Elle King
Lady Lamb
Mo Kenney
Nadine Shah
Sharon Van Etten
Yes I enjoy quite a few of those modern-day female vocalists :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Picked up a decent Chuck Berry compilation on MCA records for 50p, an artist who was sadly lacking in my collection. Berry was a pioneer of rock 'n' roll & a massive influence on so many artists.
The Stones & the Beatles covered several of his songs. Over the years Lennon, Springsteen, Dylan & Ted Nugent paid homage to the great man.

No Particular To Go has always been a favourite of mine.

Shame his only No.1 'My BLEEDIN' Ding-a-ling features on the CD i purchased :(

Screenshot 2018-11-08 at 18.57.16.png
Screenshot 2018-11-08 at 18.57.16.png (40.54 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 pm Picked up a decent Chuck Berry compilation on MCA records for 50p, an artist who was sadly lacking in my collection. Berry was a pioneer of rock 'n' roll & a massive influence on so many artists.
The Stones & the Beatles covered several of his songs. Over the years Lennon, Springsteen, Dylan & Ted Nugent paid homage to the great man.

No Particular To Go has always been a favourite of mine.

Shame his only No.1 'My BLEEDIN' Ding-a-ling features on the CD i purchased :(

Screenshot 2018-11-08 at 18.57.16.png

Earlier in the year I recorded/sky plused (or whatever it is you do these days) a BBC4 (I think) that was on - Chuck Berry, with Rocking Horse Live at the BBC in 1972 programme. He is fantastic in that (well worth a watch) and as you suggest 64 seemingly overlooked these days.

My Ding-a-Ling is one of the first records I can remember (along with T Rex - Children of the Revolution (a potential 70's nomination), Sweet - Wig Wam Bam etc...) as being in the charts being in the charts when as a 7/8yr old first starting listening to the chart show on the radio when we lived in York :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Midnight Oil - Diesel And Dust on vinyl £1.50, immaculate condition.
Happy with that.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:48 am Midnight Oil - Diesel And Dust on vinyl £1.50, immaculate condition.
Happy with that.
Nice one :clape:

Blimey mate I was in a record shop in Beverley, that vinyl LP was on sale for £12 (I think)
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Dalton wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:42 pm at a recent record fair i picked up Just like Heaven 12 by the Cure for a couple of quid and Olivers Army for a quid

Wanted Food for Thought UB40 EP but couldnt find it
I think I might have that Food for Thought EP in my loft Dalton. I have most of their early stuff. I saw them a couple of times at the Ipswich Gaumont and at Wembley Arena in the 80's. I'm moving house in the new year so will be emptying the loft at some point so will have a look
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 am Nice one :clape:

Blimey mate I was in a record shop in Beverley, that vinyl LP was on sale for £12 (I think)
A lot of old vinyl in record shops are around that price, a lot of it is in poor condition too.
Charity shops are much better value, not often much good stiuff in them though.

Even though i did pick up a 10,000 maniacs live CD for a quid earlier in the year.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:19 am A lot of old vinyl in record shops are around that price, a lot of it is in poor condition too.
Charity shops are much better value, not often much good stiuff in them though.

Even though i did pick up a 10,000 maniacs live CD for a quid earlier in the year.
I think it's a matter of being in charity shops at the right time

I couldn't believe it when I picked up two old cd's by the Beatles & Van Morrison plus the new gem of an album by Ray Davies for a quid each when we were in Northumbria.

I really hate it when charity shops up their price on decent cd's, often return to see a cd marked £5 still sitting on their shelves months later