The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 22 Oct)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 22 Oct)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds suffered defeat at the hands of Blackburn Rovers on Saturday in front of over 7000 Leeds fans!

Even though this was only the second time they have lost this season, something felt very wrong about the display.

We were not winning the 50/50 balls, the intensity had just about disappeared and many were left wondering where our next goal was coming from!

Just like he did at Birmingham, Bielsa took the blame for a tactical error. After the game the former Argentina Coach said that he should have played Berardi at left back and Dallas at right back!

If truth be known, I would not have played Dallas at all. As reliable as he is at playing any position on the pitch to an 'ok' standard, he is only able to put in a performance when playing for Northern Ireland!

In true Leeds fashion following a loss, the knives came out across social media, this time aimed at Saiz.

In truth the Spaniard has had better games for the Whites but to be called 'the most overrated player in the Championship', 'a broken man' and 'dreadful' from so called Leeds fans is a joke, surely?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 22 Oct)

Post by 1964white »

Good morning Matt & everyone

Bielsa needs to get Dallas out of his head totally as he has better creative talent at his disposal

It wasn't only the full-backs that were wrong

Accommodating Roberts
Playing Roofe on the wing
And more importantly not starting Pablo

I was worried before the kick-off, that team selection & the way we lined-up was totally unbalanced as Bielsa tried to play safe, inevitably we were all over the place & looked more like our 2017/18 side apart from the possession stats

As for Saiz his end product is abysmal, one out of ten decent passes is way below standard, needs to release the ball quicker too instead of being a greedy little git

We deserved what we got in the end....nothing
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:50 am Good morning Matt & everyone

Bielsa needs to get Dallas out of his head totally as he has better creative talent at his disposal

Accommodating Roberts

I was worried before the kick-off, that team selection & the way we lined-up was totally unbalanced as Bielsa tried to play safe, inevitably we were all over the place & looked more like our 2017/18 side apart from the possession stats

As for Saiz his end product is abysmal, one out of ten decent passes is way below standard, needs to release the ball quicker too instead of being a greedy little git

Were reaching another critical point in the season this week. We cant keep dropping points and expect all the others to do the same and weve been quite lucky that way lately. Two wins this week a must if top two is a target
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

I don't think that "something felt very wrong about the display", we were a little sub-par, but that is to be expected if we are without both of our full backs, who are so important in Bielsa's style of play. Also, Blackburn are playing very well, and with ourselves, are the only side in the division to have lost just two games.

We handed them two goals, with poor defending from set pieces, but otherwise could have still got something out of the game. I am not Dallas' biggest fan, but I am not going to argue with Marcelo.

As for Social media - it is the bane of modern day life, allowing people without knowledge or education to pontificate on subjects they know little about - the prime example being the current President of the USA. God knows how Revie's team of the 70's would have been perceived if the internet and social media had been available at the time.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Some know all's would have said "Banned ";.. but we all know that would have been to stop 'em winning .
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:14 am Were reaching another critical point in the season this week. We cant keep dropping points and expect all the others to do the same and weve been quite lucky that way lately. Two wins this week a must if top two is a target
If Marcelo plays the right team hopefully we should be ok Eire.

Last weekends results just goes to show how competitive the championship is, you're right we did get lucky though
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

There is no doubt that 2 wins in 8 games is not promotion form so to stop the rumblings of discontent gathering pace six points from our next two games is crucial.
We are still only two points off the top spot thanks to other results going our way so when all is said and done we're not in too bad shape.
The Ipswich fans down here are saying their side is the worst it has been since the Roy Keane days. Their manager Paul Hurst came from League 1 and took a punt on a host of League 1 players and it has backfired miserably. Anything other than a victory on Wednesday would be a disaster.
I'm sure Roofe will start up front and we have Ayling back as well so it's the bench for Beradi unless he plays him at left back.

I pay no attention to the 'keyboard warriors' on Twitter and other forms of social media. They're just idiots trying to provoke a response and unfortunately they get it.
By all accounts Saiz had a poor game but he wasn't the only one but it just takes one person to stick the knife in and it quickly escalates.

Chilli.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
gessa

Post by gessa »

Saturday was a poor display and the line up was the main reason, hopefully the situation will change for Wednesday, the return of Ayling will be a bonus.

Biesla doing the right thing and taking the heat off the players, the man is the right man for the job and this is just one reason why he is.

What can you say about internet trolls.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:50 am Good morning Matt & everyone

Accommodating Roberts

Morning Leon, Dallas was really highly rated when he was at Brentford. What happened to him, or was he overrated?

If I were Pearce, I'd be really annoyed that I wasn't being given a chance, given that it was my natural position.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:14 am Were reaching another critical point in the season this week. We cant keep dropping points and expect all the others to do the same and weve been quite lucky that way lately. Two wins this week a must if top two is a target
Morning Eire, very much so. You don't mind dropping points if its a blip, and you can get back to winning ways quickly.

Unfortunately, it seems we lose confidence quite quickly.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:37 am Saturday was a poor display and the line up was the main reason
Hallelujah :)
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Afternoon all

My major concern as everyone knows is lack of goals. Leeds dont win games 1-0 (apart from Hull) so usually need more than 1 goal.
Apart from the Preston home game, we have to go back to August when we score more than 1 which is woeful.
Either teams have worked us out, we have no plan B, Roberts isnt good enough or ALL three!

Like most have said above. This is not only a must win, but doing it with some style and clinical finishing for a change.
Drop Roberts and play the team that started the season.
AND bring on Clarke a damn site earlier in the game EVEN if we are winning
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:31 am Morning Leon, Dallas was really highly rated when he was at Brentford. What happened to him, or was he overrated?

If I were Pearce, I'd be really annoyed that I wasn't being given a chance, given that it was my natural position.
Brentford have had some really fast, tricky wingers over the last few seasons, we signed the wrong one :roll:

Dallas has always been limited & yes he was overrated. Tom Pearce is a better defender/footballer
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:50 am Accommodating Roberts

Fully in agreement - it seemed almost that Bielsa didn't want to drop players who had done alright in other players absences. I saw the line-up and was worried, too many players out of position and I was not at all surprised we lack any sort of cohesion. It is tricky being a manager and trying to please every player and whilst it would have been harsh to drop Roberts you also need to consider the results of late and get back to the strongest team you can pick and that meant picking Roofe who has an all round better game than Roberts. Playing Berardi on the left and Dallas on the right was just completely unnecessary making a problem into a much bigger problem. Bielsa was completely to blame as the decisions were unnecessary given that we had the youth options to fill the left back position or even Alioski.

We have a decent first choice XI. We also have some decent back up but it has to be used right.

Very concerned if we have also started to go man marking at set pieces - as Blackburn boss Mowbray alluded to. We don't have the player to man mark the opposition as only PJ and Cooper have the height and heading ability. Apart form those two we have a very short team and although Klich is 6ft + he isn't in the team for his heading ability. Given our lack of height we need to go zonal and have PJ and Cooper occupying areas where the danger is likely to be and being allowed free runs to attack the ball - no point them man marking if the opposition can simply play it to their 3rd best player in the air and score.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 am I don't think that "something felt very wrong about the display", we were a little sub-par, but that is to be expected if we are without both of our full backs, who are so important in Bielsa's style of play. Also, Blackburn are playing very well, and with ourselves, are the only side in the division to have lost just two games.

We handed them two goals, with poor defending from set pieces, but otherwise could have still got something out of the game. I am not Dallas' biggest fan, but I am not going to argue with Marcelo.

As for Social media - it is the bane of modern day life, allowing people without knowledge or education to pontificate on subjects they know little about - the prime example being the current President of the USA. God knows how Revie's team of the 70's would have been perceived if the internet and social media had been available at the time.
Afternoon Gandalf, there was something about our display that just looked disjointed - we didn't look like we were in control!

Social media needs to be better regulated - surely?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

paddy parrott wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:29 am Some know all's would have said "Banned ";.. but we all know that would have been to stop 'em winning .
Afternoon PP
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:38 am Morning All,

There is no doubt that 2 wins in 8 games is not promotion form so to stop the rumblings of discontent gathering pace six points from our next two games is crucial.
We are still only two points off the top spot thanks to other results going our way so when all is said and done we're not in too bad shape.
The Ipswich fans down here are saying their side is the worst it has been since the Roy Keane days. Their manager Paul Hurst came from League 1 and took a punt on a host of League 1 players and it has backfired miserably. Anything other than a victory on Wednesday would be a disaster.
I'm sure Roofe will start up front and we have Ayling back as well so it's the bench for Beradi unless he plays him at left back.

I pay no attention to the 'keyboard warriors' on Twitter and other forms of social media. They're just idiots trying to provoke a response and unfortunately they get it.
By all accounts Saiz had a poor game but he wasn't the only one but it just takes one person to stick the knife in and it quickly escalates.

Chilli.
Afternoon Chilli D, well said.

Roofe needs to start, though feel sorry for Roberts who got no service on Saturday. We needed to have bought Hernandez on at HT.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Dalton wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:44 am Afternoon all

My major concern as everyone knows is lack of goals. Leeds dont win games 1-0 (apart from Hull) so usually need more than 1 goal.
Apart from the Preston home game, we have to go back to August when we score more than 1 which is woeful.
Either teams have worked us out, we have no plan B, Roberts isnt good enough or ALL three!

Like most have said above. This is not only a must win, but doing it with some style and clinical finishing for a change.
Drop Roberts and play the team that started the season.
AND bring on Clarke a damn site earlier in the game EVEN if we are winning
Afternoon Dalton, we have gone from having the best defence in the Championship to average in 4 weeks!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:47 am Fully in agreement - it seemed almost that Bielsa didn't want to drop players who had done alright in other players absences. I saw the line-up and was worried, too many players out of position and I was not at all surprised we lack any sort of cohesion. It is tricky being a manager and trying to please every player and whilst it would have been harsh to drop Roberts you also need to consider the results of late and get back to the strongest team you can pick and that meant picking Roofe who has an all round better game than Roberts. Playing Berardi on the left and Dallas on the right was just completely unnecessary making a problem into a much bigger problem. Bielsa was completely to blame as the decisions were unnecessary given that we had the youth options to fill the left back position or even Alioski.

We have a decent first choice XI. We also have some decent back up but it has to be used right.

Very concerned if we have also started to go man marking at set pieces - as Blackburn boss Mowbray alluded to. We don't have the player to man mark the opposition as only PJ and Cooper have the height and heading ability. Apart form those two we have a very short team and although Klich is 6ft + he isn't in the team for his heading ability. Given our lack of height we need to go zonal and have PJ and Cooper occupying areas where the danger is likely to be and being allowed free runs to attack the ball - no point them man marking if the opposition can simply play it to their 3rd best player in the air and score.
Afternoon Weasel, we could have played Pearce at LB and even Shackleton at RB. At least we would have been a balanced side.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Something was very wrong on Saturday, the pressing wasn't there, the energy, the organisation, something wasnt right.

That worries me, i understand Bielsa has loyalty and appreciate he took responsibility, but Dallas isnt a full back, he is barely a winger, he should be no where near the 1st 11 ever, and never ever at full back.

Im not Saiz's biggest fan, i think he is overrated and can 100% see why he has never played at the top level, his footballing brain is awful. He can run with the ball and get out of tight spots, thats it, and yes he played 1 good pass, but he played many poor ones.

I do think though if we can take the pressure off him a bit, give him options, then he can improve.

We need 2 players either side of him who can either make up for his short comings, Hernandez, a far better passer and more intelligent player. And Jack Clarke, someone who can share the dribbling load, Saiz needs more help and they could provide it.

But i do think he is overrated and if its true we rejected £10million for him then we must be mad.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom