Wigan Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline : Wigan Athletic v Leeds Utd

Poll ended at Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:50 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
9%
2-2 or higher
No votes
Wigan by 1 goal
No votes
Leeds by 1
55%
Wigan by 2
No votes
Leeds by 2
No votes
Wigan by 3 or more
No votes
Leeds by 3 or more
36%

Total votes: 11

NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Re: Wigan Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Very familiar story where we’ve played some lovely football at times, dominated possession and end up with the bare minimum our play deserves with a 2 - 1 win.

Great to watch when we string some of the pass and move together. Looked like we needed fresh legs last 15 and maybe MB didn’t know where to go with the subs as we are certainly thin on options.
pembswhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by pembswhite »

Great win with loads of positives - only a couple of problems - totally dominated and only won by one , sometimes we are guilty of over playing in the attacking third. BPF did nothing in the game to impress - only faced one effort on target , doesn’t fill me with confidence- at least he will sleep better than their goalie though !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BPF - 6 - Nothing to do today and at no fault for the goal which was a cracker

Dallas - 7 - Beginning to look like a decent option on the right
Douglas 8 - Welcome back, every corner was dangerous and solid in defence
Jansson - 7 - Wigan didn't offer much going forward and PJ apart from one or two moments was solid
Cooper - 7 - As above, solid with a couple of dodgy moments
Phillips - 8 - Quiet to start but became more involved as the game went on...He's reading the game better all the time.

Hernandez - 9 - Sublime, Goal and assist, should have had more of both...
Klich - 9 - Wonderful to watch his passing and movement, you sit and wonder how he saw something at times or how the hell did he get there in so much space
Forshaw - 7 - Did ok but he's no Saiz, gave away the ball too often in their half when we were in full flow. Nice drive to force a good save though from distance.
Alioski - 7 - Butchered a golden opportunity that left you thinking why didn't that fall to Roofe. Some nice crossing, always willing, but ran into dead ends a couple of times

Roofe - 9 - Poachers goal, top forward hold up play, nice flicks, good passing and lay offs around the box. Jaw dropping header early from a thunderbolt clearance he controlled with his head and found our player with a cushioned header ...did get in the way of a Shackleton shot that would have made it 3-1 ...maybe could have done better there.

Shackleton - 7 - Not really long enough but lively
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

should have been far more comfortable than it actually was. only criticism we seemed to take our foot of the gas mid second half instead of putting the f**kers to the sword . nevertheless we played some lovely stuff just need to be more ruthless.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Deserved win, could and should have been more.

Klich was immense again, Phillips, Roofe, Pablo etc.

Some lovely football, far to go for Wigan today.

Only criticism is but for a total balls up we would have drew.

Roofe handball, c**k up today, cant keep relying on others to get us points.

Need to take our chances better.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:35 pm I was thinking the same about BPF, just doesn’t fill me with confidence. I think if he were playing in a team that wasn’t so dominant in games he may get shown up a bit more.
Agree :tup:

He makes me nervous and his positional sense has cost us a good few goals.

Good free kick but cant help but feel he could have done better.

He faces the least shots on target per game in the league.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Klich MOTM. Pablo. Roofe, and Phillips all outstanding.

Pontus needs to stay close to home. He's a beast in the middle, but when he got drawn out wide he was spun around quite a bit. Other than that, he was outstanding.

One third of the way through the season we're taking 1.875 points per game, on pace for 86. In a season this closely contested top to bottom, that should be enough.

So no point to playing the rest of the season. Promote us and have done with it. :) :)
Last edited by John in Louisiana on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:42 pm
Forshaw - 7 - Did ok but he's no Saiz, gave away the ball too often in their half when we were in full flow.
So he is a Saiz then.

Passing was poor on a few occasions today.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Another good peformance and finally got we we deserved a win and not a draw. Wigan had the joint best home record, so anyone expecting us to walk in and win 5-0 is overoptimistic. Could have been more, but the result was never in doubt once we got ahead.

Pros:
First win after going behind this season
Stronger defending from corners
Slick play and creating good chances
Dominated midfield and kept Wigan quiet
No new injuries for the first time in a long while
Bielsa giving Wigan praise and continuing to show what a gentleman he is
Kalvin for England

Cons:
Another set piece goal and the only chance the opposition have results in a goal, this has got to stop
Another poor ref
Wigan diving and Garner trying to cheat to get Cooper sent off
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

We Leeds fans love a moan! Wow.. how we do Saw the game missed first 10 mins. Though. And yes we did need fresh legs last 15.. so what. We are where I believe we need to be and can we moan? No not at all, ok it's only Wigan . They are what they are hard working , talented and damn well tough to beat at theirs. Score line flattered them on a serious note had we more threat up top it's be 4 or more. Defence and Dallas en all was very good. Midfield working in unison and are hard working too. Move on and see ! where Marcelo leads this team..Imagine!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:56 pm So he is a Saiz then.

Passing was poor on a few occasions today.
But Saiz draws players to him, is tougher to get off the ball, better first touch and a lot more imaginative...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If BPF had have got to that it would have been save of the season...it curled back a good way and sneaked in the bottom corner...If that's all we we're moaning about and I get it we need to find fault as group about someone then it's not too bad.

the don's teams used to dominate and win by one all too often. MB is clever ...he knows Wigan aren't a threat so keeps their confidence intact so they take points off our rivals ...genius
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Now I have a big game top prepare for ....v Waccoe Admin Rich 1978...gotta win this
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:14 pm But Saiz draws players to him, is tougher to get off the ball, better first touch and a lot more imaginative...
I'll give you the first and last but not the middle 2, not on this seasons showings anyway.

He has lost the ball cheaply and put us under pressure far more than any other player this season.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Good win but not putting our chances away enough right now, making life difficult for ourselves.

Liking forshaw instead of saiz personally. Think saiz is a great option but hasn't played well enough this season.

Great play from Klich for the first goal tbf
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

gessa wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:28 pm I'll give you the first and last but not the middle 2, not on this seasons showings anyway.

He has lost the ball cheaply and put us under pressure far more than any other player this season.
The only thing Saiz is guilty of really is over playing and running in to trouble when he's in a better position to shoot. Playing Phillips and Forshaw suffers our attacking game and threat, but I suppose v WBA we will stick as it will be more of a midfield battle.
gessa

Post by gessa »

SG90 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:34 pm The only thing Saiz is guilty of really is over playing and running in to trouble when he's in a better position to shoot. Playing Phillips and Forshaw suffers our attacking game and threat, but I suppose v WBA we will stick as it will be more of a midfield battle.
Saiz is a very good player, or rather can be, he will try things only Hernandez has in him, which I've no problem with when he tries something and it doesn't quite come off, first half dozen games if he lost it he'd battle back, lately he's been losing it in simple play and just throws his hands in the air, that's what I don't like.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Watched this game on Sky. IMO Cooper was awful, Captain Chaos returns. His fault for their goal and did other errors which put our team under pressure. How he keeps his place is beyond me. Pablo was immense but he needs protecting and Bielsa should have subbed him. We played some sublime football, it was a joy to watch and such a shame we didn't score more. Three points and top of the league so celebrations in Bramley this evening :) :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Highlights
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

becchio bear wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:55 pm Watched this game on Sky. IMO Cooper was awful, Captain Chaos returns. His fault for their goal and did other errors which put our team under pressure. How he keeps his place is beyond me. Pablo was immense but he needs protecting and Bielsa should have subbed him. We played some sublime football, it was a joy to watch and such a shame we didn't score more. Three points and top of the league so celebrations in Bramley this evening :) :bear:
Captain chaos?? You realize we went top of the league today? Beating a team unbeaten at home? Why do some people give players such a hard time?
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..