Playlist over the last week.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Playlist for Yesterday/Today

Post by lufc1304 »

The Story of the Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose - inspired by one of their tracks being on the soundtrack of the excellent Blackkklansman
Elvis Costello and the Impostors - Look Now
Spiritualized - And Nothing Hurt
Primal Scream - Give Out But Don't Give Up (The Original Memphis Recordings). The legendary Tom Dowd at the controls, band augmented by the Muscle Shoals rhythm section and the Memphis Horns; forget the original, this is the only version of the album you need listen to. F**king immense!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:34 pm The Story of the Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose - inspired by one of their tracks being on the soundtrack of the excellent Blackkklansman
Elvis Costello and the Impostors - Look Now
Spiritualized - And Nothing Hurt
Primal Scream - Give Out But Don't Give Up (The Original Memphis Recordings). The legendary Tom Dowd at the controls, band augmented by the Muscle Shoals rhythm section and the Memphis Horns; forget the original, this is the only version of the album you need listen to. F**king immense!
Is this the one 1304 that was in effect wrapped up in an accompanying muso documentary on (either BBC4 or Sky Arts from memory) on at the end of Nov/beginning of Dec) I watched ?
In essence the story of how Creation Records/Alan McGee spent some significant £££ sending over to the US to record the album, but then never released it as recorded with Tom Dowd, until recently.
The other odd thing I recall from the beginning of the programme when Bobby G went back to Glasgow was how near all (or certainly most of the band lived, were brought up) virtually in adjacent blocks of flats
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:47 pm Is this the one 1304 that was in effect wrapped up in an accompanying muso documentary on (either BBC4 or Sky Arts from memory) on at the end of Nov/beginning of Dec) I watched ?
In essence the story of how Creation Records/Alan McGee spent some significant £££ sending over to the US to record the album, but then never released it as recorded with Tom Dowd, until recently.
The other odd thing I recall from the beginning of the programme when Bobby G went back to Glasgow was how near all (or certainly most of the band lived, were brought up) virtually in adjacent blocks of flats
That's the one, mate. I was aware of the original recordings having surfaced a while back, but whoever came up with the idea of doing a doc on them revisiting Memphis with the original engineer etc was very clever. Generated a lot of interest in the album. I thought the doc was great (and a little bittersweet given that both Tom and Throb are no longer with us), got me all revved up to hear the album! And yes, Gillespie Innes and Young all lived within a street of each other with McGee, a year older, a couple of streets away.

I can understand why they bottled releasing it at the time; Britpop was on the horizon, self-doubt, too many drugs, but I am so glad it has seen the light of day. It has a feel of Exile on Main Street about it; loose, bluesy and with a proper groove too. Listen if you haven't already, you will not be disappointed.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

I'll give it a listen :tup: :)
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Let me know what you think, Muppet
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Courtney Barnett 'Tell Me How You Really Feel'

Also been playing Cat Power albums in search of the beautiful piano intro currently used on the Easy Jet adverts

Cat Power 'The Greatest'
Cat Power 'Moon Pix'
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:48 pm Let me know what you think, Muppet
Having now had a few listens 1304, overall I think it sounds more of a complete rounded sound across the whole album than the original release of GOBDGU.

I do prefer the harder sound of the Rocks version on GOBDGU, but the more mellow arrangements of tracks like Sad and Blue, Jesus and (I'm Gonna) Cry Myself Blind all sound better on the Memphis tracks.

Thanks for the tip. Now downloaded and on the iPod :tup: :)
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Day off today with a bit of background MSPs - Lipstick Traces (A Secret History Of The MSPs)
Some good cover versions on disc 2 , in particular Rock & Roll Music and Out of Time.
They knock out a decent cover version the MSPs. If you haven't heard it listen to their version of Rihanna's 'Umbrella'.
I know they're a bit Marmite the MSPs, but a couple of their albums are right up there in my list of favourite albums (especially 'Lifeblood')
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:58 pm Having now had a few listens 1304, overall I think it sounds more of a complete rounded sound across the whole album than the original release of GOBDGU.

I do prefer the harder sound of the Rocks version on GOBDGU, but the more mellow arrangements of tracks like Sad and Blue, Jesus and (I'm Gonna) Cry Myself Blind all sound better on the Memphis tracks.

Thanks for the tip. Now downloaded and on the iPod :tup: :)
Really glad you enjoyed it, muppet, I've been playing it in the car all week and still can't get enough of it!!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Today it's been Khruangbin live set for pitchfork ..lovely that

and I'm enjoying Lake Street Dive too atm ...one for Gessa maybe and a cracking voice

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Waterfall - The Stone Roses
This Magic Moment- Leroy Gibbons
Atomic - Blondie
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:57 pm Today it's been Khruangbin live set for pitchfork ..lovely that

and I'm enjoying Lake Street Dive too atm ...one for Gessa maybe and a cracking voice

The voice reminds me of someone.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Support to The Dead South.
Going to be a good night me thinks.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:58 pm The voice reminds me of someone.
Bit Diana Birch maybe?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:17 pm Bit Diana Birch maybe?
Don't know her. I was thinking A Girl Called Eddy (Erin Moran) but not sure now.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Listening back Birch is much better ...and the voice not really close. Love Diane's voice

CSA was a fan IIRC ...what happened to him I wonder
1964white

Post by 1964white »

This morning

Ryley Walker 'Deafman Glance'

Yesterday

Masta Ace and Marco Pole 'A Breukelen Story'

Car all week

Kamasi Washington 'Heaven & Earth'
gessa

Post by gessa »

Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
Blind Melon - Blind Melon
Clap Hands Say Yeah - The Tourist
Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Thom Yorke 'Suspiria'

A double album not for the fainthearted, spooky & hauntingly beautiful at times

This is a grower after numerous listens just like the majority of Radiohead's albums
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Black Sabbath - The End (Birmingham 04/02/17)

Whilst Sabbath are one of my favourite ever bands (first 5 albums - and to be fair Heaven and Hell and to a slightly lesser extent Mob Rules with Dio) the only time I actually saw them live with Ozzy was the final date of the 'The End' tour on 04/02/17 at Birmingham when this live album was recorded.