Andy Murray Retires

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Andy Murray Retires

Post by John in Louisiana »

Very sad news from the world of tennis.

Andy Murray has announced his retirement.

When he was healthy he was an absolute joy to watch. His court coverage was incredible; his shot-making beyond belief.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Andy Murray Retires

Post by HarryofOz »

I think you may have opened a can of worms here JiL

He was a very good tennis player.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Can't stand him actually. Goodbye. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Single handedly lifted British Tennis out of the gutter ...enjoy your retirement Andy
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

faaip wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:30 pm Single handedly lifted Scottish Tennis out of the gutter ...enjoy your retirement Andy
fyp faaip :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

No real surprise given his injury problems. Congrats on a phenomenal career Andy :tup:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Best Wishes Andy - at least you got 3 slams (including 2 Wimbledons) which is better than any other UK player since the 1930s I believe.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Such a shame some people will continue to not appreciate what a great tennis player we have simply because he was a bit surly in a couple of interviews after losing in grand slam finals or a flippant remark made to a d*ckhead interviewer. Murray was a great role model to any youngster with relentless dedication to improving and living a teetotal existence. No photos of Murray out misbehaving, no lurid tabloid stories just a fantastic role model.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Norm wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:06 am Best Wishes Andy - at least you got 3 slams (including 2 Wimbledons) which is better than any other UK player since the 1930s I believe.
and two olympic titles IIRC
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:42 am Such a shame some people will continue to not appreciate what a great tennis player we have simply because he was a bit surly in a couple of interviews after losing in grand slam finals or a flippant remark made to a d*ckhead interviewer. Murray was a great role model to any youngster with relentless dedication to improving and living a teetotal existence. No photos of Murray out misbehaving, no lurid tabloid stories just a fantastic role model.
Absolutely....
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:42 am Such a shame some people will continue to not appreciate what a great tennis player we have simply because he was a bit surly in a couple of interviews after losing in grand slam finals or a flippant remark made to a d*ckhead interviewer. Murray was a great role model to any youngster with relentless dedication to improving and living a teetotal existence. No photos of Murray out misbehaving, no lurid tabloid stories just a fantastic role model.
Absolutely weasel. The 'said' reporter had had a go at Murray about the Scottish football team being knocked out before Andy's reply. As a massive tennis fan he has given me years of pleasure watching him. World number 1, 3 grand slams, ( should have been 4 but Djoker Djokovich cheated him out of the Australian open) first Brit to win Wimbledon in over 70 years, 2 Olympic gold and leading Britain to winning the Davis Cup.
You are correct, a fantastic role model who actually does have a fantastic sense of humour. I will miss him
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Never a fan, so I'm not going to start eulogising him now. But can't argue with what he acheived in the sport. Even more impressive, for me, and I only discovered this the other day, he survived the Dunblane massacre as a young kid. To come through that and then go on and achieve what he has done deserves great credit
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:59 pm Never a fan, so I'm not going to start eulogising him now. But can't argue with what he acheived in the sport. Even more impressive, for me, and I only discovered this the other day, he survived the Dunblane massacre as a young kid. To come through that and then go on and achieve what he has done deserves great credit
I'd meant to mention the Dunblane massacre in my post Nick, so thanks for highlighting that. Both Andy and Jamie were caught up in it so both boys have done well to achieve what they have.