The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 14th Jan)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 14th Jan)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Days after his 6th birthday, Toby Nye has lost his brave fight against neuroblastoma, a rare form of cancer, which spreads rapidly across the body.

In a statement last night, Toby's family said Toby 'looks at peace now & free from everything that was thrown at our poor baby boy'.

Tributes have been pouring in far and wide for this special little boy. R.I.P Toby.

Leeds look set to sign Real Madrid keeper Kiko Casilla in the next 38 hours.

The 32yo shot stopper has slipped down to third in the pecking order behind Nevas and Courtois.

Effectively Leeds will pick the Spanish International up on a free transfer though will take over the 18 months he has left on his contract at Madrid which is £50,000 a week.

Thoughts?

Pep Guardiola has been speaking to the Manchester Evening News about Leeds!!!

He told The MEN: "I think he's the best because always I try to listen to what the players say about their manager because it's the real truth. The other depends on the results, and for the guys in charge of the big clubs it's easier than the other ones.

"We win because we are in the big clubs with the big players. But everyone who works with him is a better player and the teams are better. That's why he is a special manager and special person. I'm a supporter of Leeds and hopefully next season they can be in the Premier League, it would be good for the Premier League.

"I admire him for being the Argentina manger and being at big clubs and having the humility to go in the Championship going to a historic team like Leeds [to try to] put them on top and back to the Premier League. I wish him all the best."

Almost 30 years after 96 people were killed at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough, two men will finally start to face justice today!

David Duckenfield, police match commander on the day of the tragedy, is charged with one count of manslaughter by gross negligence in relation to 95 deaths.

Graham Mackrell, the Sheffield Wednesday club secretary and safety officer at the time the disaster happened, will stand trial alongside Duckenfield, on two counts of breaching his duties under safety legislation.

The trial at Preston crown court, which will be presided over by the judge Sir Peter Openshaw, is scheduled to last four months, due to conclude in May.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 14th Jan)

Post by HarryofOz »

38 hours - that's an odd number (even too, but you know what I mean ;))

Nice to hear Pep
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

Terribly sad news about Toby Nye but not unexpected.
Things like this put everything else into perspective.
Rest in peace Toby.

As far as transfers go, this could be a big week for us with the arrival of Casilla and possibly one or two others if the stories are true. We shall see.

Nice to finally have someone outside of LUFC singing MB's praises after all the bollocks about 'spygate' last week. And they don't come much higher up the ladder than PG do they? Maybe his comments will help to soften whatever punishment is coming his way?
I doubt the FA or EFL will share the same view....

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Leeds look set to sign Real Madrid keeper Kiko Casilla in the next 38 hours.
Thoughts?

Never had heard of him but it isn't my job to know players all oer the world, it is Orta's and presumably he and Bielsa like what they have seen of him and feel he has the attributes to handle playing in English football. He has played a reasonable amount of first team football, around 200+ matches, so that is a good enough amount of matches to really judge him. He's been capped once for Spain which shows that he must be decent. Given that the goalkeeping position has probably been our weakest position this year (and that is not BPF's fault as he is still learning and will make mistakes but has had more good games than bad games) if Kiko is an upgrade then it could be the difference between promotion and not getting promoted.

https://www.realmadrid.com/en/fans/vide ... ko-casilla

Pep Guardiola has been speaking to the Manchester Evening News about Leeds!!!
He told The MEN: "I think he's the best because always I try to listen to what the players say about their manager because it's the real truth. The other depends on the results, and for the guys in charge of the big clubs it's easier than the other ones.
"We win because we are in the big clubs with the big players. But everyone who works with him is a better player and the teams are better. That's why he is a special manager and special person. I'm a supporter of Leeds and hopefully next season they can be in the Premier League, it would be good for the Premier League.

A great point that Pep makes about how MB gets the best out of the players he has. City did nothing in Pep's first season because he couldn't mould the players he had into his system whereas MB simply uses what he has and makes it work, round pegs square holes etc. People have said he hasn't won much but MB hasn't managed at clubs who were expected to win trophies - he has never been in charge of say a Celtic.

Almost 30 years after 96 people were killed at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough, two men will finally start to face justice today!

Too easy to make judgements based on hindsight and current health and safety etc. Whilst wrong decisions were made, with horrendous consequences, it is easy to judge but 80s football was horrible in terms of hooliganism etc (don't forget Chelsea had electric fences). Thankfully the events of Hillsborough led to a lot of safety measures being introduced and football has moved on so much from those dark days.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Bielsa might not have won anything, but then again he's never had an easy job. Does winning Ligue 1 with PSG make you an outstanding manager? Pep has only had jobs at the teams with the best players, he hasn't built anything.

But I'm sure Bielsa cries into his pillow every night "only" having an Olympic Gold medal.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Afternoon all

Such a shame about the young lad and it puts everything into perspective, when we're worrying over a signing or a win a family out there are mourning the loss of a young lad cruelly taken away from them.

I'm hoping the keeper signs, after our last outing though I am not worried if it is the only one we bring in, with the injuroes returning we are going to be in a very healthy position, I see Izzy Brown scored twice today for teh U23s