Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

SCORELINE: Boro v Leeds Utd

Poll ended at Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:07 pm

0-0
13%
1-1
19%
2-2
6%
3-3 or higher
No votes
Boro by 1
13%
Leeds by 1
38%
Boro by 2
No votes
Leeds by 2
13%
Boro by 3 or more
No votes
Leeds by 3 or more
No votes

Total votes: 16

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:40 pm Was the sun bright in Boro today - looked like Casillas had a bit of a problem with it in the first half and judging by the players's shadows it seemed like it would have been strong. Why keepers don't wear hats these days baffle me, as a Sunday League Manager I would always put a cap in the kit bag in case it was ever needed.

Small margins today and if Boro had taken a couple of their earlier chances it could have been a Norwich scoreline again. Equally because they didn't we could, and should, have won with the amount of decent chances we had in the second half.
The sun & the gale-force conditions were a problem for both teams

Good point you rarely see keepers wearing caps
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:45 pm The sun & the gale-force conditions were a problem for both teams

I heard a report on the BBC that Arbroath's match in Scotland was abandoned because the wind was so strong that a goal kick blew back for a corner.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Flint missed a sitter from a Casilla's error...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Been looking at some photos of our goal today.

I saw it live but the photos seem to add some weight to my worry.

Not everyone ran to congratulate Phillips after he scored.

Think it was Shackleton. He didn't even look happy

Picture 3>

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9585649
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:21 pm Been looking at some photos of our goal today.

Picture 3>

I think some Leeds players wanted us to get back into position asap so we could try to grab a winner rather than celebrating the goal. Bamford picked the ball up out of the net. KP and Alioski seemed to get caught up in the excitement and were too busy celebrating whereas if they were calmer we could have done to Boro what we did to Blackburn.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:11 pm Flint missed a sitter from a Casilla's error...
Indeed which is why I put the question about the sun as Casillas would have been looking into the sun whereas Flint wouldn't have been. Given the wind as well it certainly would have made it hard for the keeper in that situation.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

weasel wrote:Was the sun bright in Boro today - looked like Casillas had a bit of a problem with it in the first half and judging by the players's shadows it seemed like it would have been strong. Why keepers don't wear hats these days baffle me, as a Sunday League Manager I would always put a cap in the kit bag in case it was ever needed.

Small margins today and if Boro had taken a couple of their earlier chances it could have been a Norwich scoreline again. Equally because they didn't we could, and should, have won with the amount of decent chances we had in the second half.
No need to put one in the kit bag , if it's really necessary just borrow one from a fan Image

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:03 pm No need to put one in the kit bag , if it's really necessary just borrow one from a fan Image

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Fans? I was happy if we just had a sub or two!!!
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

I find it alarming at the amount of opportunities we need to put the ball at the back of the net and this could potentially be our own doing. We have been in the top 2 basically all season and our conversion rate against our possession is alarming.... Billy Sharp would of had a field day if he was Playing for us.
Kemar Roofe isn't a striker not that it's his fault as we had to make do with the Bamford situation from the start of the year, Roofe won't fire us up to the Premier league his only scored 1 goal in the past 7 games simply not good enough and every one of those games we easily dominated possession.
Players like Che Adams 19 goals, Abraham 20 goals even Maupay 17 goals and there Clubs are not even in the top 6 and Roofe has 14 goals..... that is simply not good enough for a top 2 side. Do we rely to much on our Midfielders in getting goals? Have they been creative enough and assisted Roofe enough?

All in all we have seriously over achieved with this squad if Bamford doesn't find the net with all the possession we have and find form quick smart we will be in this League next year, our problem for me? We didn't invest properly in the transfer window IMO and seems like we have sweet FA money.... Mind boggling when you consider where we are on the ladder and not take advantage of it with all the injuries we've had.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:45 pm The sun & the gale-force conditions were a problem for both teams

Felix had his hatgate
Last edited by rab_rant on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:21 pm Been looking at some photos of our goal today.

Picture 3>

I took it as them running back for the restart. Add to that that they probably had other things on their minds with Clarke just been taken down the tunnel by paramedics.

If there's one thing that this squad doesn't seem to be lacking, it's team spirit!
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

leedsmad wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:07 am I find it alarming at the amount of opportunities we need to put the ball at the back of the net and this could potentially be our own doing. We have been in the top 2 basically all season and our conversion rate against our possession is alarming.... Billy Sharp would of had a field day if he was Playing for us.
Kemar Roofe isn't a striker not that it's his fault as we had to make do with the Bamford situation from the start of the year, Roofe won't fire us up to the Premier league his only scored 1 goal in the past 7 games simply not good enough and every one of those games we easily dominated possession.
Players like Che Adams 19 goals, Abraham 20 goals even Maupay 17 goals and there Clubs are not even in the top 6 and Roofe has 14 goals..... that is simply not good enough for a top 2 side. Do we rely to much on our Midfielders in getting goals? Have they been creative enough and assisted Roofe enough?

All in all we have seriously over achieved with this squad if Bamford doesn't find the net with all the possession we have and find form quick smart we will be in this League next year, our problem for me? We didn't invest properly in the transfer window IMO and seems like we have sweet FA money.... Mind boggling when you consider where we are on the ladder and not take advantage of it with all the injuries we've had.
So does Bielsa...

I'd like a deeper breakdown of our chances (and I'm sure Marcelo could give us one!), but for me the difference is how teams have set up against us. I'm a lot of those early games we were hitting teams on the break and basically running them ragged. It's been said a lot, but an early goal will always suit our style because we dominate most aspects of matches, so once we're ahead the other team are unlikely to get a sniff.

Most teams now set up defensively and sit deep, allowing us to have posession, but not allowing us space. I think one of the reasons we've had more comebacks than anyone in the league is that teams who have set up like that and then nick a goal probably think 'job done', which brings complacency.

Think you're being harsh on Roofe there. He is having his best season for us and has had to be the focal point for the majority of the season with very little as backup. Him and Hernandez have been absolutely critical to our season with their goals and assists. I think Roofe has probably scored some goals which Bamford wouldn't have, but equally spurned a few a player with more experience as a centre forward would have put away.

We've been top 2 since before Christmas and have had a ridiculous number of first team players out and in that sense we're fine. These next couple of weeks are critical though as we're going to need to integrate those coming back into the squad/11 and maintain their fitness.

Think the players currently coming back from injury are a big part of why we didn't spend big in January. You've got Bamford, who cost us £7m in summer, making his first league start yesterday - it's going to be massive if he stays fit for the run in just to give us another option up to, as well as allowing Roofe a breather. Brown still hasn't played first team, but has been impressing with goals and assists in the u23 league, as well as having experience getting promoted playing great football.

Then you've got the fact that Bielsa targeted 2 positions to strengthen (key word stengthen, not just more bodies): keeper and winger. We've brought in a keeper with an excellent pedigree, but who will probably need a little time to acclimate to the league. Then there was the Dan James saga - a deal agreed for essentially £10m before their chairman blocked it. James would have added another edge to our attack, and we were all in on him...

I'm very much on the side of 'they have been excellent before, so they'll be excellent again' with this team. We've had a bad patch, but are still top (albeit maybe only until this afternoon). You might say we should be further ahead, given the competition stumbling, but that just shows how competitive the league is this season. Any one of the top 6 are in with a chance at auto-promotion, but we know we can beat anyone in this league on our day.

Starting with Swansea this week :)
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

Genghers wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:35 am So does Bielsa...

I'd like a deeper breakdown of our chances (and I'm sure Marcelo could give us one!), but for me the difference is how teams have set up against us. I'm a lot of those early games we were hitting teams on the break and basically running them ragged. It's been said a lot, but an early goal will always suit our style because we dominate most aspects of matches, so once we're ahead the other team are unlikely to get a sniff.

Most teams now set up defensively and sit deep, allowing us to have posession, but not allowing us space. I think one of the reasons we've had more comebacks than anyone in the league is that teams who have set up like that and then nick a goal probably think 'job done', which brings complacency.

Think you're being harsh on Roofe there. He is having his best season for us and has had to be the focal point for the majority of the season with very little as backup. Him and Hernandez have been absolutely critical to our season with their goals and assists. I think Roofe has probably scored some goals which Bamford wouldn't have, but equally spurned a few a player with more experience as a centre forward would have put away.

We've been top 2 since before Christmas and have had a ridiculous number of first team players out and in that sense we're fine. These next couple of weeks are critical though as we're going to need to integrate those coming back into the squad/11 and maintain their fitness.

Think the players currently coming back from injury are a big part of why we didn't spend big in January. You've got Bamford, who cost us £7m in summer, making his first league start yesterday - it's going to be massive if he stays fit for the run in just to give us another option up to, as well as allowing Roofe a breather. Brown still hasn't played first team, but has been impressing with goals and assists in the u23 league, as well as having experience getting promoted playing great football.

Then you've got the fact that Bielsa targeted 2 positions to strengthen (key word stengthen, not just more bodies): keeper and winger. We've brought in a keeper with an excellent pedigree, but who will probably need a little time to acclimate to the league. Then there was the Dan James saga - a deal agreed for essentially £10m before their chairman blocked it. James would have added another edge to our attack, and we were all in on him...

I'm very much on the side of 'they have been excellent before, so they'll be excellent again' with this team. We've had a bad patch, but are still top (albeit maybe only until this afternoon). You might say we should be further ahead, given the competition stumbling, but that just shows how competitive the league is this season. Any one of the top 6 are in with a chance at auto-promotion, but we know we can beat anyone in this league on our day.

Starting with Swansea this week :)
I like Roofe don't get me wrong and definitely his had he's best Season but the finish just isn't there, is it fatigue? Service? Positioning?
No doubt his had to Carry the burden of getting the goals, let's hope he can strike a partnership with Bamford and maybe with less pressure starts smashing them in.
I agree that our possession is due to teams holding back in defence and playing us on the counter scoring then playing 5 at the back.
Norwich played the perfect pressing game against us and suffocated our rhythm at times.
We do need goals in the 1st 15-20 minutes of the game which will force our opposition to push up instead of them sitting back.

As for the January window we never had the money to make the James move happen as we relied on a loan - to buy deal, we loose Saiz, Baker (no loss) and have to rely on kids.
Experience and a know how to type player is what was needed and that is what we will need on our run home.
Some players are just not in form, is it fatigue? Douglas didn't play yesterday, Forshaw didn't play either, are they being rushed back to early? They are in crap form.

All in all we've had a brilliant Season and anywhere from 6th-10th was my expectation it's just frustrating getting a sniff and not consolidating in the January window.
I'm still clinging to hope that a top 2 is possible cause through the play-offs we are going to get screwed by the ref's.
Baldbloke
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Baldbloke »

Would like to take the opportunity to thank the members who keep us all up to date on the match action as it happens. Was working yesterday so couldn’t try and find a stream or radio to listen to. The dedication to find streams is admirable.Had to keep sneaking looks at this site and had all but resigned myself to a defeat but once again another injury time goal. Must admit I’d prefer it if we took the lead early then controlled the pace of the game but it is what it is I suppose
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think Roofe gets to chances that other forwards in this league wouldn't get close too, that often means it's more of a half chance. Most were critical of the missed header a few weeks ago but it came from directly behind him at little pace and he need to put power into it without really altering it's course much..a very very difficult thing to do.

I thought his second attempt at the same chance yesterday was his best and he took it with his right foot ( I think to catch the keeper out as he could hit it earlier with his right)rather than wait and hit it cleaner with his left.

Bamford got in his way once yesterday, Alio took a couple of easier for Roofe chances v Norwich that I feel sure Roofe would have buried.

I'm not at all worried about any irrelevant conversion stat because not all chances are created equal.

I don't think he's a number 10 in this system though
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Stats off Twitter:

We've conceded first in 55% of our Championship matches (17/31); Only Bolton (65%), Millwall (63%) and Ipswich (63%) have a higher percentage.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

We are over achieving no doubt about it. Think of all the sides in contention we only have to travel to Bristol. Positives we don't give up which could be crucial, just think we haven't got the brakes lately but what goes around comes around.
Players returning, we can only get stronger as opposed to faltering like normal.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

FFS stop moaning we are still top, ...oh by the way I'm back, finally released from hospital... been watching the guys and my obs are we are too predictable, teams now know how to stop us scoring...we defend well, but couldn't score in a brothel, just my two peneth worth....open to debate
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Velotrax wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:06 pm FFS stop moaning we are still top, ...oh by the way I'm back, finally released from hospital... been watching the guys and my obs are we are too predictable, teams now know how to stop us scoring...we defend well, but couldn't score in a brothel, just my two peneth worth....open to debate
Welcome back Velo :tup: hope you are feeling much better
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:21 pm Welcome back Velo :tup: hope you are feeling much better
Thanks bud, work in progress, nice to be free again lol