The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 13th Mar)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 13th Mar)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds returned to the top of the table with a stunning first half performance which saw goals from Klich and a brace from Hernandez!

The Blades defeated Brentford 2-0, playing the majority of the game with 10 men after having Gary Nadine sent off.

This at least rules out the Cariff on loan hitman from playing at Elland Road on Saturday!

Hull play at Carrow Road this evening!

Which of the top 3 will buckle first?

Should the team that finish 3rd be given an advantage in the play offs?

If so, how?

Back to last nights game!

Did Ayling deserve to get sent off?

How important to the team is Alioski?

The Macedonian was the player most singled out by the social media boo boys before Christmas!

Has your opinion of him changed?

What does Izzy Brown have to do to get game time?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 13th Mar)

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB et al

It's unrealistic to give any team in the play-offs an advantage other than 3rd playing 6th and, 3rd and 4th playing away first.

My opinion of Alioski has not changed. I was not one of the boo boys.

Just seen some highlights on YouTube. Ayling was lucky not to get a second yellow.

Pablo should have had a hat trick.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 am Good Morning Everyone

Morning Matt,

Leeds returned to the top of the table with a stunning first half performance which saw goals from Klich and a brace from Hernandez!

The Blades defeated Brentford 2-0, playing the majority of the game with 10 men after having Gary Nadine sent off.

This at least rules out the Cariff on loan hitman from playing at Elland Road on Saturday!

Hull play at Carrow Road this evening!

Which of the top 3 will buckle first? I keep thinking Norwich are due a blip, they keep proving my theory wrong.

If so, how? The play offs are the play offs, giving the 3rd place team an advantage would then not make sense. Only alternative I suppose is to promote the top 3 in the Championship, and scrap the play offs

Back to last nights game!

Did Ayling deserve to get sent off? Unable to answer accurately without unfair bias :) I suppose this is what you would put down to the frequently used term, "rub of the green". I am certain there have been a large number of opposition players that have deserved to walk in previous games for GBH on players such as Hernandez, and not walked. These things even out.

How important to the team is Alioski? Immense

The Macedonian was the player most singled out by the social media boo boys before Christmas!

Has your opinion of him changed? No, never had a bad opinion of him, never been a bell end boo boy

What does Izzy Brown have to do to get game time? Be patient, he will get a game as and when Bielsa decides he will. Can't understand fans who think they know better than Bielsa when the team are flying high.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning everyone.

Who will buckle first?

Norwich will draw a few starting tonight.
Hopefully the Blades will be a wee bit tired having played so long with 10 men and we can capitalise on Saturday though I fear a 0 -0.
Commentator made a good point last night about teams like ours whose style of play is dependant on confidence in the players. ( rather than the long ball teams who just hoof it forward hoping for something to happen) He reckoned teams like ours are more likely to go into slumps... As we have saw..

Playoffs no point giving third an advantage, they play sixth already.

Ayling should have saw a red card. It even loomed at one point as if the ref was reaching for his pocket!! A worrying moment. --- Now Sheffield know our lineup for Saturday :)

Ali and Hernandez are critical to our run in.

Dunno about Izzy.. does the gaffer trust him? He should imo have played 30 mins last night... I'm worried he will end up being thrown in through desperation later in the season and wont be sharp enough.

Despite his glaring misses in front of goal Doesnt Bamford add so many new dimensions to our game outside the box?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Warms the cockles of my heart knowing the club is in a good place.

https://talksport.com/football/efl/5102 ... guardiola/
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:38 am Hi EB et al

It's unrealistic to give any team in the play-offs an advantage other than 3rd playing 6th and, 3rd and 4th playing away first.

My opinion of Alioski has not changed. I was not one of the boo boys.

Just seen some highlights on YouTube. Ayling was lucky not to get a second yellow.

Pablo should have had a hat trick.
Evening Harry, yes Pablo should have got a hattrick.

Yes, Ayling had a good game too - didn't he get two assists?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Azkalwhite wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:56 am
Morning pal,

Yes, Norwich are due a blip, but they have some very good goal scorers like Pukki. What a signing!!! Free transfer from Brondby.

I think they have been lucky with their injuries too....
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Morning all, given I have a Reading fan in the office I strode into work today like a conquering Caesar, the glow of victory warming me as much as my first cup of Yorkshire Tea. But my thoughts grew serious, then, as they turned to the great battle looming in just a matter of days, what could be the mighty war that will make or break empires.

So, to business...

The Blades defeated Brentford 2-0, playing the majority of the game with 10 men after having Gary Nadine sent off. This at least rules out the Cariff on loan hitman from playing at Elland Road on Saturday!

Every little advantage will help in this pivotal game, from the home crowd to one of the Blunts' key players being missing. To say these things don't matter would be to underestimate the side we're facing, who are dispatching lesser teams just as efficiently as us. However, the last time we played them we won so I'm optimistic. When all is said and done, they don't have the surprise package signings Norwich had to catch everyone out - they're far more known a quantity and I expect Bielsa to win the tactical battle.

Hull play at Carrow Road this evening! Which of the top 3 will buckle first?

So hard to say but I've had a sneaking suspicion Norwich's luck (of which they've had plenty) will start to run out sooner or later. Hull's battering at the hands of Forest belies the rise of a dynamic and hungry side and they'll feel they still have a chance of making the playoffs. Certainly, with a player like Jared Bowen against the hardly-impregnable Budgie defence it's not outside the realms of possibility for Hull to at least nab a draw.

Certainly speaking in the case of the Blunts, they already have an advantage in that they're a better team in better form than those below them. I believe the latter leg of the playoff semis is played at the home ground of the 3rd placed team and this is deemed to be enough of an advantage, and I don't see any reason to disagree. In the end, whoever wants promotion more will achieve it.

The Leeds fan in me says no, the neutral in me...doesn't exist. Sorry but I'm going fanatic on this. Never a second yellow in a million years. And I'm glad he got subbed for Dallas a second later. :roflmao:

How important to the team is Alioski? Has your opinion of him changed?

I gave him some stick when he played on the wing, though I've never slagged him off (or anyone for that matter) on social media like a cheap attention-seeking whore. But it's understandable why he got the flak - he had no end product, really struggled with ideas in and around the box and couldn't stay onside to save his life. He had aggression and energy but so does my cat.

Now? A completely different story. I don't need to spell out why but just as much as Ali's humbled his critics, Bielsa has humbled me with his insight and faith, and I honestly feel like I've learned a lesson myself. Same with Ayling over the past few games.

When you're dealing with individuals, trying to forge them into a single effective unit it's only natural that some will take longer than others to achieve that level the coach sees in them. But when they're there it's a wondrous thing. I don't think I could bring myself to doubt Alioski again now that we know what he's capable of, nor Bielsa's judgement.

Break a teammate's legs, at this rate. Expecting the same lineup for the Blunts game and every other so long as it brings success.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Which of the top 3 will buckle first?

All 3 have buckled at times this season and then had good runs so even if 1 of the teams had a blip now such as losing 3 in a row they could then win the next 6. WBA could still get into contention if they end the season strongly.

I would have the team that finishes 3rd play the team that finished 6th but instead of 2 legs just a one off game at the home of the 3rd place team. Same for the 4th v 5th match. The final would then also be a one off game at the home of whichever of the 2 teams had finished higher. That is probably the only way to give teams an advantage for finishing higher.

It was a silly foul and I think the ref used common sense as did Bielsa by then subbing him. Players are booked too easily at times and he could easily have been sent off.

How important to the team is Alioski?

The sky commentator, Tony (not sure of his surname as couldn't work out who he was - maybe Cascarino), was continually berating Alioski for defensively getting caught out of position at times - but in my opinion that will happen if you have a full back that is up and down the wing and popping up all over the field - what you gain by him getting so far forward you will inevitably sometime suffer by him then being out of position. Ayling and Alioski though are crucial to the Bielsa system (as shown by Ayling's assists lately).

A tricky one and I liked Azkal's answer. Bielsa knows better than us as to how fit Brown is and more important whether he is up to being able to physically handle playing in the championship at this stage. I too was expecting that Brown would have been given a run out last night in the second half but equally Bielsa wants Dallas to be sharp, likewise Douglas and Shackelton who have all been a lot more involved in the first team this season and are players Bielsa trusts. Also they are players who will still be at the club next season.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

The Brown situation is a strange one, clear talent, but obviously he will be below par, Bielsa will have seen videos of how good he can be, but obviously isn’t seeing it in training, yet.
He will either grow more and more disinterested and never kick on and play a role, or will our master in man management have him chomping at the bit and he scores the winner Saturday?
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:09 am Morning everyone.

Who will buckle first?

Norwich will draw a few starting tonight.
Hopefully the Blades will be a wee bit tired having played so long with 10 men and we can capitalise on Saturday though I fear a 0 -0.
Commentator made a good point last night about teams like ours whose style of play is dependant on confidence in the players. ( rather than the long ball teams who just hoof it forward hoping for something to happen) He reckoned teams like ours are more likely to go into slumps... As we have saw..

Playoffs no point giving third an advantage, they play sixth already.

Ayling should have saw a red card. It even loomed at one point as if the ref was reaching for his pocket!! A worrying moment. --- Now Sheffield know our lineup for Saturday :)

Ali and Hernandez are critical to our run in.

Dunno about Izzy.. does the gaffer trust him? He should imo have played 30 mins last night... I'm worried he will end up being thrown in through desperation later in the season and wont be sharp enough.

Despite his glaring misses in front of goal Doesnt Bamford add so many new dimensions to our game outside the box?
Morning Ian, I don't think Alioski has missed a game all season!!!

How fit must he be?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Brentford v Leeds United now kicking off at 5.15pm on Easter Monday (Mon, April 22). Chosen for Sky Sports.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Frank Lampard's been talking to @talkSPORT about Spygate. Said a £200k fine was "more than enough" and admitted Leeds and Bielsa deserve to get promoted!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Mateusz Klich vs. Reading
84.1% pass accuracy
74 mins played
54 touches
37/44 successful passes
10/15 final third passes
5 ball recoveries
2 tackles won
2 shots
1 goal
7 of his 8 goals have been scored away from home. Huge performance and terrific link-up play in the middle.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Jack Harrison vs. Reading
68 touches
32/50 passes
9 ball recoveries
3 tackles won
3 crosses
3 times fouled
2/2 take-ons
2 aerial duels won
1 shot
1 chance created
1 interception
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Azkalwhite wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:22 am Warms the cockles of my heart knowing the club is in a good place.

https://talksport.com/football/efl/5102 ... guardiola/
The day just gets better.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... er-league/
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Gjanni Alioski vs. Reading
80% pass accuracy
75 touches
40/50 successful passes
17/21 final third passes
9 long ball passes
5 tackles won
5 ball recoveries
5 clearances
2 interception
3 aerial duels won
1 take-on
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Regarding Alioski most of one's opinion of him depends on if you like defenders that defend. I do I'm afraid and Alio is one of the worst defenders at the club imo. I'd really not want to go into the playoffs if that's where we land with Alio at LWB..I know this is just me but even when he's back there his positioning is awful and the tackling off the ground is just bizarre. How he's not conceded a couple of penalties recently is beyond me. Dumb luck?

His best position is right wing

Our wing backs push forward too much, Phillips has to sit deeper and our defence becomes panicked and it lacks cohesion. It works well with PJ and Coop marshalling the defence,

Not an issue when you play such a poor team as Reading (and even they opened us up too easily at times, but boy they were probably the worst team I've seen this season, giving us so much room letting us play at will)

Hernandez should have had a hat trick, absolutely but so should Bamford who keeps completely missing the ball in the box at times ..He's a quality player but it suggests a concentration issue or something.

Saturday is everything, we cannot lose imo, a draw keeps both teams in the chase. I wanna really though be chasing both teams not let Norwich get away to make it us or our South Yorks rivals playing for second.

Playoffs are fun and good box office for the FL but the top 3 could finish 10 points better than third and play the team hitting form in 6th and then it becomes a lottery cup game dependent on fitness, form, weather and refereeing...6th place teams IIRC correctly usually do fairly well

Now that's a statistic I need to find
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:33 am Frank Lampard's been talking to @talkSPORT about Spygate. Said a £200k fine was "more than enough" and admitted Leeds and Bielsa deserve to get promoted!!!
Yeah, read that last night. I'm not so bitter a man that I can't bury a hatchet, particularly if someone makes the first conciliatory move.