The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 13th Mar)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
rab_rant

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 13th Mar)

Post by rab_rant »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 am What does Izzy Brown have to do to get game time?
Eerrr... get a decent haircut?
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Good morning EB1 and Everyone,

I only saw the second half last night as I didn't arrive home until 9pm but how nice it was to be able to watch a second half knowing (barring a miracle) that the points were safe.
Two great strikes from Pablo and the passing and movement for the first goal was just sublime.
We go into Saturday's crunch game in great shape.
None of the top three look like buckling at the moment but if we can win on Saturday the gap will be five points and significant with only 8 games left to play.

I'm not sure what else an advantage you can give to the 3rd place team as they already get to play the 6th place team and the first leg away.
Let's hope we don't have to worry about that.

Luke Ayling was lucky not to get a second yellow and MB did the right thing taking him off as the game was won and it wasn't worth risking him missing Saturday's game. It also gave Dallas some game time.

I wasn't a boo boy when it came to Alioski but his form earlier in the season was frustrating to say the least.
However, since moving to left back in Douglas's absence he has been excellent. One of our best players recently in fact.

It looks as though MB has decided that Izzy Brown isn't good enough to get in the side at present but it begs the question, why wasn't he given 45 minutes for the U23's on Monday? Another week has gone by without him kicking a ball. Not ideal for someone who is returning after a 12 month injury lay off.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:03 pm Yeah, read that last night. I'm not so bitter a man that I can't bury a hatchet, particularly if someone makes the first conciliatory move.
'Magnanimous' Lampard, 'keen to play down the incident'. Pfft! Unless he admits he lied, the hatchet remains firmly buried between his eyes.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

SaraM wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:36 pm 'Magnanimous' Lampard, 'keen to play down the incident'. Pfft! Unless he admits he lied, the hatchet remains firmly buried between his eyes.
Hah, I scoffed at that headline too but I'm going to choose to separate talksport's masturbatory fawning and Lampard's words. Takes a strong man to admit he's wrong, and to me the media/pundits are the real villains of the piece.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:14 pm
It looks as though MB has decided that Izzy Brown isn't good enough to get in the side at present but it begs the question, why wasn't he given 45 minutes for the U23's on Monday? Another week has gone by without him kicking a ball. Not ideal for someone who is returning after a 12 month injury lay off.
Don't want to come across as splitting hairs Chilli :) , but;

Leeds: Casilla, Ayling, Cooper, Jansson, Alioski, Phillips, Klich, Harrison, Roberts, Bamford, Hernandez. Subs: Peacock-Farrell, Douglas, Dallas, Berardi, Brown, Shackleton, Gotts.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I don't think I know more than Bielsa, it's just frustrating that Brown could have got 30 mins v WBA and 45 last night to get him match fit. A fully fit Brown would be a massive asset for the run in, but bringing him on when we're 1-0 down with 15 mins left and he's frustrated, it's going to cost us points in the end.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Azkalwhite wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm Don't want to come across as splitting hairs Chilli :) , but;

Leeds: Casilla, Ayling, Cooper, Jansson, Alioski, Phillips, Klich, Harrison, Roberts, Bamford, Hernandez. Subs: Peacock-Farrell, Douglas, Dallas, Berardi, Brown, Shackleton, Gotts.
He's in the squad Azkal not the side.
Does seem strange not to put him on rather than Douglas when we're 3-0 up
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Could be MB wants Douglas back in the team for the run in and he's bringing him up to speed.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:51 pm Takes a strong man to admit he's wrong, and to me the media/pundits are the real villains of the piece.
Hmmm, didn't sound to me like he admitted he was wrong, not about the incident, anyway, and he can hardly deny Bielsa's obvious achievements. Yes, the media spun it out of all proportion, but they wouldn't have been able to do that if FL had reacted calmly and played it down in the first place.

I'm still going to point the finger at him for a while yet. I might let it go once Leeds are safely ensconced in the premier league, and Lampard has returned to punditry after a couple of seasons failing to get Derby above mid table. Binoculars will always have a special significance though. <O-O>
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

SaraM wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:17 pm Hmmm, didn't sound to me like he admitted he was wrong, not about the incident, anyway, and he can hardly deny Bielsa's obvious achievements. Yes, the media spun it out of all proportion, but they wouldn't have been able to do that if FL had reacted calmly and played it down in the first place.

I'm still going to point the finger at him for a while yet. I might let it go once Leeds are safely ensconced in the premier league, and Lampard has returned to punditry after a couple of seasons failing to get Derby above mid table. Binoculars will always have a special significance though. <O-O>
Haha, that's very true. I don't expect to be in the majority when I'm lenient towards Lampard, but I think we can all agree that the whole sorry drama is nothing to us now, less than nothing. We've got bigger things to be concerned with and promotion will be the sweetest revenge against all the slights we've suffered this season.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:41 am Mateusz Klich - 7 of his 8 goals have been scored away from home. Huge performance and terrific link-up play in the middle.
Simple solution give Izzy Brown the home games and Klich the away ones.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:12 pm Simple solution give Izzy Brown the home games and Klich the away ones.
Great idea.

We'll need to find a way to get Brown on the pitch first...
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Ellandback1 wrote:Brentford v Leeds United now kicking off at 5.15pm on Easter Monday (Mon, April 22). Chosen for Sky Sports.
Sky just cannot help themselves can they !
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:02 pm I think we can all agree that the whole sorry drama is nothing to us now, less than nothing.
I know what you mean, but it also played a special role in building the mystique of Marcelo, and our special relationship with him. We would somehow be lesser mortals had we not witnessed that press conference, so maybe this is why I'm reluctant to let it go.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

SaraM wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:36 pm I know what you mean, but it also played a special role in building the mystique of Marcelo, and our special relationship with him. We would somehow be lesser mortals had we not witnessed that press conference, so maybe this is why I'm reluctant to let it go.
Oh yes, and for sure that press conference was one of the highlights of the season. I more meant Lampard, Jenas, Andrews, Keown et al but you're absolutely right, Bielsa added to his own legend even if the man himself would never admit it. And who can forget that crushing anxiety and fear in the hours leading up the conference as we all wondered what would be announced?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:56 pm who can forget that crushing anxiety and fear in the hours leading up the conference as we all wondered what would be announced?
It was probably one of the most intensely anxious football related moments, which made its culmination all the sweeter, especially as the full lunacy of what he was doing began to unfold.

The opinions of the pundits are nothing; we've weathered the storm and regained our stride. Again, if anything, the seige mentality they engendered has only helped us.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:30 am Morning Ian, I don't think Alioski has missed a game all season!!!

How fit must he be?
Hi EL I think he is one of those people who is naturally fit. A rare breed.

There isn't many of them about, especially in a Leeds shirt.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa