The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 15th Mar)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 15th Mar)

Post by HarryofOz »

Last time it was a meeting, now he's overslept - what next, will his dog eat his modem?

I see that it's Danny Mills' turn to pipe up that Bielsa may leave if we don't go up - gee really?

That is one problem with the 24/7 news cycle that we live in nowadays. Something has to fill the online news sites and blogs, so virtually anything will do.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 15th Mar)

Post by Irish Ian »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 am Last time it was a meeting, now he's overslept - what next, will his dog eat his modem?

I see that it's Danny Mills' turn to pipe up that Bielsa may leave if we don't go up - gee really?

That is one problem with the 24/7 news cycle that we live in nowadays. Something has to fill the online news sites and blogs, so virtually anything will do.
Modem. :)

You are so last century.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:32 am Modem. :)

You are so last century.
:lol: :lol:
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Morning Harry, morning everyone else!!!

Tomorrow is the 40th meeting between the two sides at Elland Road, Leeds have won 20, drawn 11 and lost 8.

Biggest game in the last 15 years???
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Wow, the class of 92.....

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds United Under-23s: 10-man Whites seal Premier League Cup progression with shootout victory over Fulham

10-man Leeds United sealed progression through to the quarter-finals of the Premier League Cup on Thursday evening with a penalty shootout victory over Fulham. Marcelo Bielsa made first-team players Izzy Brown, Barry Douglas and Gaetano Berardi available for the knockout tie against the Cottagers.

Jack Clarke and Jamie Shackleton were also named on the bench while midfielder Robbie Gotts was handed a start. Leeds were the better of the two sides but failed to hit their free-flowing best in the opening exchanges. United's sloppy play in the final third saw a number of stray passes overhit as Fulham grew in confidence as the half progressed.

Ryan Edmondson saw a shot blocked and Mateusz Bogusz fired a volley over the bar from outside the area. Carlos Corberan's side, though, did produce one moment of quality before the half-time whistle as Brown and Douglas combined inside the box which saw the latter brought down by Jayden Harris. Referee Darren Middleton pointed to the spot and Edmondson fired the spot-kick high into the net with a thunderous strike.

United's lead didn't last long after the break as Harrison Male was caught on the ball inside his own six-yard box. Harris made up for his earlier mistake as he swept up the loose ball before being hauled to the ground by the stopper. He was adjudged to have failed to play the ball and given his marching orders with Josh Rae stepping off the bench in United's final substitution of the night.

Matthew O'Riley found the bottom corner from the penalty spot and it didn't take long for the visitors to complete the comeback. Nicolas Santos Clase found space just before the hour mark to fire home underneath Rea with Leeds struggling to get a foothold in the game following the dismissal.

United, though, did muster a leveller with their only chance of the second half with substitute Clarke the architect. The 18-year-old beat his man on the right and found Bryce Hosannah who drilled low into the box first time with Brown on hand to slot home and force extra-time.

Leeds went close through Struijk after the swapping of ends as he headed a corner over the bar before substitute Sonny Hilton fired a volley wide for the visitors. Rae was forced into late action as the striker again found a way through the United backline but the goalkeeper got down low to ensure penalties would be required. Brown, Bogusz, Struijk and Clarke all bagged for United with Jordan Stevens and Steven Sessegnon both missing to send the shootout to sudden death.

Berardi sent George Wickens the wrong way before goalscorer Santos Clase saw his effort fly over the bar to send Leeds into the quarter-finals of the competition on a dramatic night.

Leeds United XI: Male, Hosannah, Struijk, Berardi, Douglas, Diaz, Bogusz, Gotts, Stevens, Brown, Edmondson. Subs: Rae, Shackleton, Clarke, Davis, Kun.

Fulham XI: Wickens, Drameh, Sessegnon, Edun, Jenz, Opoku, Harris, O'Riley, Kait, Francois, Santos Clase. Subs: Stahl, Abraham, McAvoy, Hilton, Havilland.

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:19 am Wow, the class of 92.....

Wow how fat is Mel Sterland now?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 am Leeds United Under-23s: 10-man Whites seal Premier League Cup progression with shootout victory over Fulham

10-man Leeds United sealed progression through to the quarter-finals of the Premier League Cup on Thursday evening with a penalty shootout victory over Fulham. Marcelo Bielsa made first-team players Izzy Brown, Barry Douglas and Gaetano Berardi available for the knockout tie against the Cottagers.

Jack Clarke and Jamie Shackleton were also named on the bench while midfielder Robbie Gotts was handed a start. Leeds were the better of the two sides but failed to hit their free-flowing best in the opening exchanges. United's sloppy play in the final third saw a number of stray passes overhit as Fulham grew in confidence as the half progressed.

Ryan Edmondson saw a shot blocked and Mateusz Bogusz fired a volley over the bar from outside the area. Carlos Corberan's side, though, did produce one moment of quality before the half-time whistle as Brown and Douglas combined inside the box which saw the latter brought down by Jayden Harris. Referee Darren Middleton pointed to the spot and Edmondson fired the spot-kick high into the net with a thunderous strike.

United's lead didn't last long after the break as Harrison Male was caught on the ball inside his own six-yard box. Harris made up for his earlier mistake as he swept up the loose ball before being hauled to the ground by the stopper. He was adjudged to have failed to play the ball and given his marching orders with Josh Rae stepping off the bench in United's final substitution of the night.

Matthew O'Riley found the bottom corner from the penalty spot and it didn't take long for the visitors to complete the comeback. Nicolas Santos Clase found space just before the hour mark to fire home underneath Rea with Leeds struggling to get a foothold in the game following the dismissal.

United, though, did muster a leveller with their only chance of the second half with substitute Clarke the architect. The 18-year-old beat his man on the right and found Bryce Hosannah who drilled low into the box first time with Brown on hand to slot home and force extra-time.

Leeds went close through Struijk after the swapping of ends as he headed a corner over the bar before substitute Sonny Hilton fired a volley wide for the visitors. Rae was forced into late action as the striker again found a way through the United backline but the goalkeeper got down low to ensure penalties would be required. Brown, Bogusz, Struijk and Clarke all bagged for United with Jordan Stevens and Steven Sessegnon both missing to send the shootout to sudden death.

Berardi sent George Wickens the wrong way before goalscorer Santos Clase saw his effort fly over the bar to send Leeds into the quarter-finals of the competition on a dramatic night.

Leeds United XI: Male, Hosannah, Struijk, Berardi, Douglas, Diaz, Bogusz, Gotts, Stevens, Brown, Edmondson. Subs: Rae, Shackleton, Clarke, Davis, Kun.

Fulham XI: Wickens, Drameh, Sessegnon, Edun, Jenz, Opoku, Harris, O'Riley, Kait, Francois, Santos Clase. Subs: Stahl, Abraham, McAvoy, Hilton, Havilland.

Great result for a strong looking U23 side.
The fact that Clarke was only on the bench suggests he will be involved tomorrow
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:43 am Wow how fat is Mel Sterland now?
Mate, that's Zico...........
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 am Morning Harry, morning everyone else!!!

Tomorrow is the 40th meeting between the two sides at Elland Road, Leeds have won 20, drawn 11 and lost 8.

Biggest game in the last 15 years???
The Bristol Rovers game in League 1 was much bigger. If we hadn't won that it would have put us into the play-offs and potential at least another season or several seasons in League 1. Tomorrow to some degrees is meaningless, we could lose and still go up as champions, we could win and still not get automatically promoted. Each game after tomorrow will become bigger and bigger until we face a match that if we win we will get promoted.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I suspect that game will be Ipswich away.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Heart brealing news about Sir Erec.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:52 pm
Heart brealing news about Sir Erec.
Why do they always put the horses down when they break a leg.

Why can't they be put out out to pasture / retire?
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Norwich and Sheffield playing Stoke and Villa away on the last day with us at Ipswich.
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:38 pm The Bristol Rovers game in League 1 was much bigger. If we hadn't won that it would have put us into the play-offs and potential at least another season or several seasons in League 1. Tomorrow to some degrees is meaningless, we could lose and still go up as champions, we could win and still not get automatically promoted. Each game after tomorrow will become bigger and bigger until we face a match that if we win we will get promoted.
Afternoon Weasel,

Would you care to predict a scoreline for tomorrow?

Yes, I remember the Bristol City game.

Gradel went mental when he was red carded, and had to be more or less carried off by Beckford.

When Howson struck the winner bending the ball in - one of the best moments of my life.

I loved Grayson - I don't think he ever hit his potential as a Manager.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:59 pm Afternoon Weasel,

Yes, I remember the Bristol City game.

Gradel went mental when he was red carded, and had to be more or less carried off by Beckford.

When Howson struck the winner bending the ball in - one of the best moments of my life.

I loved Grayson - I don't think he ever hit his potential as a Manager.
But he did "hit" his secretary ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:59 pm Afternoon Weasel,

2-1 either way - with weather predicted to be bad it could make the match a bit of a lottery and make our way of playing ineffective. As such could all boil down to one or two key moments where a mistake or bounce of the ball determines the outcome.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:42 pm I suspect that game will be Ipswich away.
Hoping if at all possible we have our promotion secured before that game.

I just found out today we have a wedding to attend that day :clap:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

One thing I can predict for certain is more cards than goals scored.
Cards of varying colours too.
What with conditions , wind and or rain making life difficult aswell ,referee will play a big big part I feel.Understandably these cautions pending must Not be to our detriment. Marcelo & company need to play a huge part in combinating cool calm and collectivness of not only might but sheer will and grace to see this one through.
I don't like making scorelines so ... looks like a draw from here but then seeing as I went be there I'll go 3-1 Super Leeds United. MOT Hooray for the Whites.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:18 pm Hoping if at all possible we have our promotion secured before that game.

I just found out today we have a wedding to attend that day :clap:
It's not your wedding, is it?

If not, then the choice is clear.