Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - WTF happened out there??

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds Utd v Derby County

Saturday 21st September 2019 12-30pm | Elland Road

129 days since they last met in the play off second leg semi final (not that I'm counting), Derby County will once again lock horns with Leeds United at Elland Road for Saturday's lunchtime kick off.

There has been no love lost between the two sides. Derby instigated Spygate, blowing the matter out of all proportion having made accusations that the 'spy' was inside the confounds of their training ground hiding in the foliage with binoculars and a pair of clippers. In fact, the coach in question was not even inside their ground, and the clippers in question were irrelevant as found in the boot of his car. The Rams PR machine concluded their web of lies by saying the 'spy' was arrested, which once again was completely false.

To rub salt into the wound Derby owner Mel Morris recently incensed Radrizzani by using a third party company to purchase their own ground (Pride Park) for double what they had it valued for, then leased the ground back to the club. The 40m they made in the deal meant Derby would avoid financial fair play penalties.

Having lost the likes of Mount and Wilson, who went back to their parent clubs in the Summer, Derby have slipped to 19th in the table only winning once this term, a 2-1 win against relegation threatened Huddersfield Town. Like most teams in the Championship, I'm sure Derby will up their game when they play Leeds.

Bielsa has no new injury worries. Forshaw is expected to miss out with the hip injury that saw him sidelined against Barnsley. Shackleton stands by. Roberts and Ayling are both pushing for a return to first team action having both scored and performed well for the U23's in the 6-0 thrashing of Watford. Nketiah and Costa are also knocking on the gaffers door looking for their first league starts of the season.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - Forshaw still injured, no new injury concerns

Post by Sara »

We totally dominated them for 3 1/2 games last season, and now they are weaker and we are stronger. I'll be disappointed with anything less than a comprehensive thrashing, and many of them seem to be expecting it.

The way they are still going on about what turned out to be a meaningless victory as their best game ever is toe curling.

Hope Keogh gets sent off and banned for life too.
hector

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - Forshaw still injured, no new injury concerns

Post by hector »

SaraM wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:29 am We totally dominated them for 3 1/2 games last season, and now they are weaker and we are stronger. I'll be disappointed with anything less than a comprehensive thrashing, and many of them seem to be expecting it.
I agree and this is why I put us down for a 3-0 thrashing by them....... everything is stacked in our favour, so watch them balls it up..
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:29 am We totally dominated them for 3 1/2 games last season, and now they are weaker and we are stronger. I'll be disappointed with anything less than a comprehensive thrashing, and many of them seem to be expecting it.

The way they are still going on about what turned out to be a meaningless victory as their best game ever is toe curling.

Hope Keogh gets sent off and banned for life too.
Indeed Sara as my feelings prior to the Barnsley game, anything but a victory I'd be very disappointed, same with Derby tomorrow. Our expectations have to be high if we are looking for promotion, losses to the degree of regularity last season especially against the bottom teams are unacceptable.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - Forshaw still out, no new injury concerns

Post by The Subhuman »

I'll take a 1-0 win as usual ...anything else will be gravy
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

hector wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:00 am I agree and this is why I put us down for a 3-0 thrashing by them....... everything is stacked in our favour, so watch them balls it up..
Not ballsing up this kind of game is a test of our mental strength, which was lacking to get us over the line last time.

A good solid win will do wonders for the confidence.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

SaraM wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:24 pm Not ballsing up this kind of game is a test of our mental strength, which was lacking to get us over the line last time.

A good solid win will do wonders for the confidence.
Not to mention we need to send our fans home with a victory. Only four points out of nine at home so far. To earn promotion we need to average well over two points per game at home.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Derby County Match Thread - Forshaw still out, no new injury concerns

Post by Irish Ian »

Thinking Costa will start tomorrow as he hasn't featured for the reserves this week.

We really need a sterling performance in front of the home fans to build up some momentum ahead of the three tricky fixtures that come after Derby.

Come on Leeds let's send out a message to the rest of the league.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Nketiah to start and we win. Simples
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

John in Louisiana wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:16 pm Not to mention we need to send our fans home with a victory. Only four points out of nine at home so far. To earn promotion we need to average well over two points per game at home.
Poor home form and still top of the league - strange.

I think we are better away from home because teams know they have to come out and play a bit.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Doire_Boi wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:47 pm Poor home form and still top of the league - strange.

I think we are better away from home because teams know they have to come out and play a bit.
Agreed
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Hope Costa starts.

Derby played some good stuff vs Cardiff tbf to them so must be careful.

However, Cardiff are hardly known for their sparking attacking play and yet they got through the Derby defence at will at times.

Press press press, Derby's passong at times was dire vs Cardiff, many unforced errors, we need to get into them from the first minute.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

costa must start for me . will give us some real pace which we've been lacking especially early on in games.
give harrison a rest and keep hernandez on the right for now . costa can be effective on either flank !

all this talk about suggesting its just another game is utter bolloxs . we owe these bastards big time , get an early goal and i can see us giving them a right good tonking . we badly need a good home win and performance , hopefully today will be that day.
i'd keep bamford upfront and unleash eddie later.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Doire_Boi wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:47 pm Poor home form and still top of the league - strange.

I said from day one we'd be better away from home this season. Always confident we'll win away apart from our trips to Brentford & Millwall, hopefully we can turn that chestnut around this season.

Problem is apart from our missed chances the opposition come to ER with the intent of stemming the flow of our play with men behind the ball & showing no intention of formulating attacks using negative traits such as fouling in rotation, feigning injuries, wasting time at throw-ins/goal kicks/set-pieces & substitutions, etc. It is so frustrating to watch let alone play against, we have to find a way to break teams down who come to ER with this type of approach.

Taking our chances from the onset would resolve the problem
1964white

Post by 1964white »

leic white 63 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:04 am costa must start for me . will give us some real pace which we've been lacking especially early on in games.
give harrison a rest and keep hernandez on the right for now . costa can be effective on either flank !

all this talk about suggesting its just another game is utter bolloxs . we owe these bastards big time , get an early goal and i can see us giving them a right good tonking . we badly need a good home win and performance , hopefully today will be that day.
i'd keep bamford upfront and unleash eddie later.
Spot on 63 :tup:

Now let go ram it at them with a good old tonking.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

The battle is not on the pitch it is in the brains. This fixture comes with too much trauma from last season. Fat Frank has gone but the baggage lingers on.

Spygate although dealt with still rankles the spirit because of the stupidity and injustice, and we hoped there might be some recompense in the playoffs, but that turned out to be a grave disappointment, which left most fans with a bitterness brewing inside.

Derby now have a new Dutch manager Cocu who is still finding his feet, and with Marriot and Waghorn up front they have the potential to score goals. Lawrence their midfield maestro is suspended and Mount and Wilson have gone. Pop eye Keogh still marshals the defence and is always a danger at set pieces.

It is not the result I would want but I fear this game has a draw written all over it. When the football does not go the way we want it then we relapse into negative thinking and blame it on gypsy curses or voodoo spells. The reasons for defeat have to be supernatural rather than psychological.

Victory lies in the space between the ears... and perhaps we are still working towards having a winning mentality at ER.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Can anyone make an impact in my top five rated players

8.6 Phillips
8.3 White
8.0 Forshaw
7.8 Dallas
7.7 Hernandez

Forshaw could lose his 3rd place
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

You have to love Alioski
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

12.30 kick off today folks