Charlton Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Costa to make first league start

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Charlton Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Costa to make first league start

Post by Ellandback1 »

Charlton Athletic v Leeds Utd

Saturday 28th September 2019 15.00 | The Valley

Leeds travel down to South London on Saturday afternoon to play Lee Bowyer's Charlton Athletic. The Whites will be without inspirational veteran Pablo Hernandez. He has a muscular problem which he picked up in the warm up against Derby. Costa is set for his first start of the season. Fit again midfielder Adam Forshaw will be included in the squad, as will Luke Ayling and Tyler Roberts.

Having dropped points recently against Derby and Swansea, Bielsa will be looking for a both, a disciplined performance and for chances to be put away which is easier said then done - Leeds record when playing in England's capital is poor to say the least.

Here is Bielsa's pre match press conference...

Recently promoted Charlton have made an impressive start to the season picking up 14 points, only three less than Leeds. They too will be looking to get back to winning ways after disappointing results against Wigan and Birmingham. It's ex-Leeds midfielder Boyver's first game in charge against Leeds and whilst he thinks they are one of the teams to beat he thinks they have weaknesses too...

From what I have seen live and on the telly, Leeds are the team to beat. If you finish above them then you’re getting promoted – I think it’s that simple.

They are a very good side. I watched their game against Derby [on Saturday] and I don’t know how they drew that. They hit the woodwork twice and missed sitters left, right and centre. It was crazy to watch.

I’ll watch them more this week, but they have weaknesses. They just bomb so many people forward.

As good as they are going forward they are going to be vulnerable at the back as well. But you’ve got to get the ball first!”

With six points separating the top 11 clubs, surely a win on Saturday is a must!

Leeds Starting XI
Casilla, Dallas, White, Cooper, Alioski, Phillips, Costa, Shackleton, Klich, Harrison, Bamford
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: Charlton Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ratscoot »

Agree EB a good win is a must, a few goals would be a bonus :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

A win is a must given that our home form is pants, it just places more importance on winning away.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

One of my very good friends Mark from Sussex will be in the Charlton end with a mate of his who is a Stoke City fan.

Mark asked me "what time are you setting off" I replied 6am, he laughed & said bl**dy hell as he only has a 90 minutes journey.

I told him to take care in the Charlton end, he said "at least we have southern accents"

He'll be alright, he's had to sit on his hands at previous away games, no fun though!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:57 pm A win is a must given that our home form is pants, it just places more importance on winning away.

I was going for a comfortable win to Leeds, not as confident now without Pablo, he makes us tick in an attacking sense even if he's having a low-key game.

Fans said he had a poor game v Derby however he created three chances!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Someone needs to step up , we can't keep relying in Pablo. Costa is the one for me to make things happen , I'm not sure who else is capable.

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Quick question, I will be out on Tues night. Now quickly do Leeds put the replay of the game on the app?

I can t record live TV now as my digibox isnt up to it so am looking at other options.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Dietkebab
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Dietkebab »

Very nervous but I think it’s down to the lack of quality in the finishing department.

I’m on the fence with Costa. I never actually thought he was that good when he was at Wolves and the stats pretty much back that train of thought up over his last two seasons with them.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Costa has already shown in the limited time he has had that he gives us the fast direct attacking that leeds have lacked imo.He is not afraid to take on defenders and get to the by-line and will generally deliver a dangerous cross. My main concern with him is his ability to track back when necessary but if he wants to keep his place he will have to, this is why Harrison keeps his place although he's not as good going at defenders. Can't have everything I suppose

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Remember when both Bamford and Roofe were out injured
and Tyler Roberts came in and put in a shift for us, and near
the end of the season he was doing a job for us in the number 10 position.
He is now back on the bench, and has a extra special stupid hairstyle
to compete with Kalvin... a sort of double pineapple... so I don't expect
it will be too long before he will be seeing some action.

Hairstyles I hear you exclaim!!! what has hairstyles got to do with playing football
Well didn't Snodgrass play his best when he had that white bird shite on the front of
his bonce. Remember how Beckham's Mohican confused opponents and his own team
mates when he played for England and who can forget Jason "pineapple" Lee
The news on the street is that Luke Ayling has to get rid of his man bun before
he can get back in the team, and when he comes back he has to sport a haircut like
Ronaldo in 2002.

You heard it here first.

onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

Rab! "Extra special stupid hairstyle" Too funny. 😂

Hopefully you're correct and that poor judgment translates to results on the pitch.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I hope we're not all saying at the end of this game " well once again we dominated but couldn't convert our chances" as I'm sick and tired of all that.

Velotrax

Re: Charlton Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Costa to make first league start

Post by Velotrax »

I think this is amust win game, not a we out played them, but they got lucky
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Charlton Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Costa to make first league start

Post by Irish Ian »

With the other games going the way they did I think this game has increased significance now, win and establish the fact that we are serious contenders or huff and puff and become an also ran.

I am really nervous.

I hope there is a decent stream out there
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Afternoon everyone
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds are the only team in the top four tiers of English football yet to concede a league goal before half-time this season.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:37 pm With the other games going the way they did I think this game has increased significance now, win and establish the fact that we are serious contenders or huff and puff and become an also ran.

I am really nervous.

I hope there is a decent stream out there
Living midway between Nottingham and Derby this weeks been unbearable, Derby fans saying how unlucky they are that 3 players got pissed and means their season is over and Forest fans claiming to be top dogs LOL
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Wow! That is one scary formation for an away match!

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACY ... pl;dt;fp;1;;

Phillips on the right...Shacks on the left and Ed on the bench
'
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Velotrax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:42 pm Living midway between Nottingham and Derby this weeks been unbearable, Derby fans saying how unlucky they are that 3 players got pissed and means their season is over and Forest fans claiming to be top dogs LOL
Forest will have to enjoy their moment I dont think it will last long, and if it is any consolation, I think the Derby fans will be suffering worse than you are at the minute
'