Leeds Utd v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread - Bamford & Douglas Start

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread - Bamford & Douglas Start

Post by SG90 »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:59 pm Maybe Wednesday having two more days to prepare for this game than us was significant, who knows?
Next week's game takes on extra significance now. Let's see what they're made of.
Perhaps one for the positive thread - still only one point off top.
It's in London though so another defeat.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Bielsa got his first sub wrong today, Wednesday had found a weakness on our left and he decided to weaken it by bringing on Ali.
If he wanted to sub Douglas then he should have moved Dallas to the left and brought on either Pablo or Shackleton.
In the end they scored by exploiting our weakness on the left, but Kiko Casilla, what are you thinking?

Trying to kick away a shot to the near post is not even a schoolboy error.

How much are they paying him?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
hector

Post by hector »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:10 pm We were flat after Arsenal..It's a Leeds thing we've been like it since the days of the Don. But there's talent and ability right through the squad except at centre forward where we employ a donkey..a seven or 8 million pound donkey. Sorry I'm not buying this Nketiah can't hold the ball up, lead the line BS. He never got the chance to do any of that...

Strikers have to hit the back of the net, being able to defend a bit or run around like a headless chicken a lot ain't good enough. Needs to be dropped now and for all I care replaced with a life sized dummy.

It's a puzzle, Bielsa love this high press fast break quick twitch offence built like a Ferrari and then put a 50cc Moped engine in. I really don't understand how that striker fit's into the way we want to play...Never have, never will and I expect I'll get a lot of posters tell me why and point to all kind of statistics..

The result is disappointing but I can handle that but something stinks in the state of Denmark and it the insistence on playing a league 1 striker..
I agree with this 100% :tup:
Poshwhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Poshwhite »

Let’s be real, here we go again. Promoted with Bamford? No way, he would not get into any team in the top 6! MB needs to understand the league does not finish at Xmas, FFS get a real centre forward in this team who scores !!! Did we not learn a lesson last season?
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

On a positive note, we can avoid relegation
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:11 pm Bielsa got his first sub wrong today, Wednesday had found a weakness on our left and he decided to weaken it by bringing on Ali.
If he wanted to sub Douglas then he should have moved Dallas to the left and brought on either Pablo or Shackleton.
In the end they scored by exploiting our weakness on the left, but Kiko Casilla, what are you thinking?

Trying to kick away a shot to the near post is not even a schoolboy error.

How much are they paying him?
Really didn't get the Klich sub..Second half he'd battled and was winning the war and the protection he gives Kalvin allows Kalvin to play his game. Phillips struggled with that sub and I've been saying for months now it's Klich doing the dirty work in CMF and that's going unnoticed ...He didn't look to be injured or tiring.

Costa for Pablo should have been change 1. Pablo is best on the right
Dallas to LB and Shack into the 10 should have been change 2
Bamford off and Alio to the 9 should have been change 3
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:10 pm We were flat after Arsenal..It's a Leeds thing we've been like it since the days of the Don. But there's talent and ability right through the squad except at centre forward where we employ a donkey..a seven or 8 million pound donkey. Sorry I'm not buying this Nketiah can't hold the ball up, lead the line BS. He never got the chance to do any of that...

Strikers have to hit the back of the net, being able to defend a bit or run around like a headless chicken a lot ain't good enough. Needs to be dropped now and for all I care replaced with a life sized dummy.

It's a puzzle, Bielsa loves this high press fast break quick twitch offence built like a Ferrari, the beautiful game, and then put a 50cc Moped engine in. I really don't understand how that striker fit's into the way we want to play...Never have, never will and I expect I'll get a lot of posters tell me why and point to all kind of statistics..Not going to convince me.

The result is disappointing but I can handle that but something stinks in the state of Denmark and it the insistence on playing a league 1 striker..
Our issues run a lot deeper then Bamford imo.

Their is a worrying pattern developing and it developed last season to.

Our form after Xmas drops almost every year.
Our defence which was once solid seems to concede at will (same as last season).
We arent clinical, a lot is Paddys fault but Klich,Costa, Harrison, Dallas etc all need to do far more.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Really disappointed with that. Don't know what to think tbh. Something needs to change.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Happy 2019 guys...oops ,sorry , it just feels like 2019 !
Same side, same glaring problem !
Players who don't know how to score from very good positions. This problem is not something that can be taught, it is natural or it isn't and unfortunately our whole squad consists of players who are NOT NATURAL FINISHERS infront of goal. This is not a pop at Bamford although he is the main culprit and should never have been bought to be our main striker.
The defence have wilted under the pressure because the forwards are not doing their jobs.
It's time for this club to stop pissing about ,stand up and be counted , get a bloody striker who can score goals with his f****** eyes shut and get out of this poxy league once and for all !
At the end of the day they'll get what they deserve but no fresh faces will equal no promotion.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

Ok , the answer is not easy, if it was I'd be our manager, but we seam to come across the same issues as last year...
So what has changed...Nothing,,,,
Is it Bielsa's short comings? or the fact that he sets the team up the same way for every game and the other team now knows how to beat it?
Is it personnel?
Bielsa likes to play the same guys almost every time
Or is it just burn out? we looked sluggish today...
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:30 pm Happy 2019 guys...oops ,sorry , it just feels like 2019 !
Same side, same glaring problem !
Players who don't know how to score from very good positions. This problem is not something that can be taught, it is natural or it isn't and unfortunately our whole squad consists of players who are NOT NATURAL FINISHERS infront of goal. This is not a pop at Bamford although he is the main culprit and should never have been bought to be our main striker.
The defence have wilted under the pressure because the forwards are not doing their jobs.
It's time for this club to stop pissing about ,stand up and be counted , get a bloody striker who can score goals with his f****** eyes shut and get out of this poxy league once and for all !
At the end of the day they'll get what they deserve but no fresh faces will equal no promotion.

Spot on mate
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Today was a culmination of the fascination of a small squad, a few pick up injuries and it gets even harder to rotate the team.

Unless Bielsa accepts that he is wrong about his belief that he only needs 18 players we can expect to be here again before end of season.

Half those players will be on their knees by April
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:44 pm Today was a culmination of the fascination of a small squad, a few pick up injuries and it gets even harder to rotate the team.

Unless Bielsa accepts that he is wrong about his belief that he only needs 18 players we can expect to be here again before end of season.

Agreed, We need more than 18, I can honestly say I doubt we will go up with the current squad, And I'm not slating them, in a better enviroment most would be good enough
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Velotrax wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:34 pm Ok , the answer is not easy, if it was I'd be our manager, but we seam to come across the same issues as last year...
Is it Bielsa's short comings? or the fact that he sets the team up the same way for every game and the other team now knows how to beat it?
Is it personnel?
Tired after the monumental effort they put in against Arsenal most likely. It happens often when a lower team gives a Premier League team a run for their money and then lose the next game.
I for one advocated playing a mainly U23 side at the Emirates with the bigger picture in mind but others said we should field a near full strength team.
Playing in London next week is not ideal given our record in the capital but a full week of training and having Pablo and Shack available will give MB options at least.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Irish Ian wrote:Today was a culmination of the fascination of a small squad, a few pick up injuries and it gets even harder to rotate the team.

Dead right ! I've said it before, Bielsa likes a small squad because it makes his life easier having to keep fewer players happy. This is not good practice in a very very tough and physical league over 46 matches plus cup games. He didn't learn from last season and only a fool keeps making the same mistakes. We are still 2nd but for how long ? I really don't think the players are strong enough if they drop into the play off spots after last season's collapse.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Velotrax wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:34 pm Ok , the answer is not easy, if it was I'd be our manager, but we seam to come across the same issues as last year...
Is it personnel?
Coaching has its limits, said that last season to, you can coach and coach but you cant coach talent into someone and you cant coach a winning mindset.

We have basically the same squad MB squeezed everything out of last season, it wasnt enough.

As a core group we arent a playoff team imo, we are a very well coached mid table squad over achieving (just my opinion )

The fact we are suffering the same issues isnt a shock, its largely the same squad, the majority of this squad have to play on top gear every game or standards slip.

If standards slip form slips, we dont have the talent in the side individually to have anyone having an off day.

Its like if we entered a very well engineered and tuned 5 year old BMW m3 in a race.

For aslong as all the parts worked perfectly it would look good, but if one part failed its performance would slip and newer cars with better parts would start to catch up.

Makes sense to me anyway
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:52 pm Coaching has its limits, said that last season to, you can coach and coach but you cant coach talent into someone and you cant coach a winning mindset.

We have basically the same squad MB squeezed everything out of last season, it wasnt enough.

As a core group we arent a playoff team imo, we are a very well coached mid table squad over achieving (just my opinion )

The fact we are suffering the same issues isnt a shock, its largely the same squad, the majority of this squad have to play on top gear every game or standards slip.

If standards slip form slips, we dont have the talent in the side individually to have anyone having an off day.

Its like if we entered a very well engineered and tuned 5 year old BMW m3 in a race.

For aslong as all the parts worked perfectly it would look good, but if one part failed its performance would slip and newer cars with better parts would start to catch up.

Makes sense to me anyway
Wow, I totally agree, well written, we are asking a ford to compete with a Porsche
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Throwing it away again I'm afraid and the problems are all so avoidable, radz needs to spend 15 million now to recoup it ten fold when we get promoted. to not take advantage of the position we are in is crazy. We cant rely on the bottle jobs we have in this team.Gett meslier in goal for god sake and dallas out of centre mid.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Or we ourselves have a Porsche but we put a Ford part in up front !

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:00 pm Or we ourselves have a Porsche but we put a Ford part in up front !

Bam- Ford
'