Ian Poveda- Wendies loan confirmed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Ian Poveda

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:35 pm Agree fully with Cjay. We need a couple of players coming in that can create or score goals. If that happens I can see it having a knock on effect with others in the team scoring too as there will be less pressure. The amount of chances we are missing is completely ridiculous so a player or two coming in with a bit more composure in front of goal is exactly what we need regardless of age. Sometimes being young has its advantages as you haven't experienced the failure before so you aren't weighed down by it.
Agree with that :tup:

Ideally we would have been getting in someone like Ayew but that was always unlikely.

Poveda has apparently been training with the 1st team squad at City all season and for a lot of last season to.

Travelled with the 1st team for matches including in the Champions League.

Been looked after by Raheem Sterling.

Its hard to breakthrough at City, his great mate is Jaden Sancho and maybe he sees his progress and just thinks id like my time now.

We may be making a terrible mistake (Phil Hay says he is joining permanent next week) but maybe we really have spotted a gem?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Oh I want him lets get that straight, I'm just wondering where and if he plays. I'm also not going to say he's better than what we have. Until any player plays a few games for us it's difficult to forecast the success or failure of any given player
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Poveda cant seriously be viewed as the answer to our creative woes.

He is one for the future at best.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think it's Adams or bust personally, we may move on to a Sharp type to sit behind Paddy and offer something different off the bench if needed, Adam for me would be a day one starter, either at 10 with Paddy or the stick of celery which I'd prefer or as the 9
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:55 pm Oh I want him lets get that straight, I'm just wondering where and if he plays. I'm also not going to say he's better than what we have. Until any player plays a few games for us it's difficult to forecast the success or failure of any given player
I think its fair to say he is better then our u23s at least.

No disrespect to them but he has played at a higher academy level so at the very least an option to take Jordan Stevens place on the bench?
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not sure it's quite that fair to say that and I'd want to see him play in our colours to make that decision...We've had around 50 can't miss you tube wingers, that have played at top academies at some point, since the fall, for me to be comfortable saying he's the next big thing in white
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:08 pm Poveda cant seriously be viewed as the answer to our creative woes.

He is one for the future at best.
Impossible to say. When Dan James's name was first mentioned last January I don't think any of us had heard of him and I doubt any of us thought at the time that he'd have been capable of going straight into the first team and being as good as he has shown himself to be. Jack Clarke came into the side last season completely out of the blue, had played no games above U23 level and was only at a 2nd tier level academy. He had an instant impact and although he fizzled out a bit if someone could come in this season and have an instant impact it may just be the adrenaline shot the whole team needs to get us firing again.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Poveda would be the one to replace Clarke, hopefully the Clarke, hopefully the Clarke of last year and he can give us something off the bench. If he has been in and around the Man City first team he should be certain of a place in the match day squad at least
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

dezzy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:42 pm Poveda would be the one to replace Clarke, hopefully the Clarke, hopefully the Clarke of last year and he can give us something off the bench. If he has been in and around the Man City first team he should be certain of a place in the match day squad at least
I think we'd have to guarantee it if the Athletic is to be believed

https://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/01/12 ... ly/448379/
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:45 pm I think we'd have to guarantee it if the Athletic is to be believed

https://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/01/12 ... ly/448379/
Interesting, I like that it mentioned Bielsa thinks he’s ready, hopefully true that he does rate him
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

dezzy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:57 pm Interesting, I like that it mentioned Bielsa thinks he’s ready, hopefully true that he does rate him
Last January the criteria for incoming transfers was said to be players that could make an impact straightaway and that was evident with Kiko, who went into the team, and Dan James who would likely have either started or been an impact sub. The keeper looks more of a long term prospect presumably the club covering in case Kiko gets banned or injured and Messlier has to step up but Poveda seems like he could fulfil the role Bielsa envisaged for Dan James.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Travelling to Leeds today.

Wasnt nearly a done deal clearly.

Competition is stiff!!!

Parma 7th in Serie A
Torino 8th in Serie A
Hoffenheim 7th in the Bundesliga.

Italian media reporting MB has spoken to Poveda personally (that would be a shock of true).

Pray for good news today :angel:
Signed

King Cjay

rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Is he just going to be cover for Harrison or Costa? Maybe he can play as a striker? lol
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Conflicting reports.

Daily Mail say Poveda is close to joining us (know we mock them but they weren't far wrong with the article Radz said was nonsense)

An Italian media source thinks Torino are going to get him.

Bielsa really likes Poveda and Adams apparently.

Surely we can at least get one of them?
Signed

King Cjay

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:22 pm Conflicting reports.

Daily Mail say Poveda is close to joining us (know we mock them but they weren't far wrong with the article Radz said was nonsense)

An Italian media source thinks Torino are going to get him.

Bielsa really likes Poveda and Adams apparently.

Surely we can at least get one of them?
If we got both I would definitely consider this window a success.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:14 am If we got both I would definitely consider this window a success.

Definitely, though DM is going to be the weak area over the next 3 games. Be interesting to see who steps into that gap.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:12 am Definitely, though DM is going to be the weak area over the next 3 games. Be interesting to see who steps into that gap.
I stand by White. We kept a clean sheet the last time he was in Kalvin's shoes, he's got the natural abilities for it, yes he was a bit iffy positionally at times but he learned quickly and the more he does it, the better he'll be.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Adam Pope seems to think it's done, so I'll go with that. I've liked him since I saw him for England youth a few years ago, so I won't say I'm unhappy about it. We've needed a Saiz replacement for a year. Hopefully he can come in straight away and not play u23s for a month.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Btw it's pronounced like "Yan" rather than "Ian" if you're wondering :-D
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I read that Bielsa had spoken to him personally for an hour on the phone, mainly about the environmental effects of clear cutting the Brazilian rain forest, and also just how much the mystical Argentinian poet Borges had been influenced by the philosopher Hegel. Apparently he was also asked if he would grow his hair out and dye it blond like that other Colombian icon Valderrama. Apparently that could be the deal breaker.

His reply "Never let bad taste stand in the way of style" is said to have endeared Bielsa towards him.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk