The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 10th August) Leeds win race to sign teenage sensation Joe Gelhardt

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 10th August) Leeds win race to sign teenage sensation Joe Gelhardt

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 10th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds win race to sign Gelhardt

Highly rated teenage sensation Joe Gelhardt is on his way to Elland Road after personal terms were agreed over the weekend. Gelhardt caught the eye of many clubs up and down the Country last term, making 19 appearances and netting once for Latics.

Paul Cooks side went into administration in the second half of last season, and although they produced some amazing results on the field, their off field financial situation led to a twelve point deduction, and relegation to League 1.

Leeds have been in contact with Gerald Krasner, the administrator of Wigan Athletic, and a fee of £900,000 has been agreed. I wonder whether the fact the Krasner was once Leeds Utds Chairman helped push the deal through.

Gelhardt is expected to sign in the next 48 hours. Former England forward, Kevin Phillips believes the Whites should send Gelhardt out on loan next term.

When you have come from playing regular football, to sit on the bench and to some days not make match day squad can be really frustrating and can have a major knock-on effect with a player’s confidence.

If he is not going to be involved week in, week out I would like to see him go out on loan. Get that experience and learn the game. Then when he comes back to Leeds he will be a better player.

I would fully expect the young lad to be loaned out. Whether that be for six months or a year. Until the New Year might be a better option.

Bamford to lead the line in the Premiership

In his recent mailbag, Phil Hay was asked whether he expected Patrick Bamford to start the season leading the line? The 26 year old netted 16 times last term in 45 appearances. Unfortunately, he also missed the most guilt edged opportunities in the Championship last term (over 30). Hey replied...

Bamford probably will start. I don’t, in all honesty, expect the line-up on the first day of the Premier League season to deviate much from Bielsa’s preferred line-up this season.

Bielsa’s faith in Bamford has paid off so far. Bamford’s been part of a team who won the league by 10 points. Bielsa likes to be loyal and there’s something to be said for that.

Kit will not be revealed until terms are agreed with new shirt sponsors

With multiple proposals on the table, Leeds are very much in the driving seat to see who will take over the shirt sponsorship for the 2020/21 season and beyond.

Although the West Yorkshire side signed a two year extension with current sponsor 32Red which would have taken them to the end of the 20/21 season, Leeds have a clause enabling them to replace the betting company if they were to secure promotion.

Due to their promotion, Leeds will also be looking to replace or most certainly renegotiate secondary shirt sponsorship like sleeve!

Photoshoots with the players in the new Adidas kit have already been done, has but Leeds are still in the process of finalising fresh sponsorship agreements and the kit won’t be released or put on sale until those are in place.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 10th August) Leeds win race to sign Gelhardt

Post by 1964white »

Good morning all

Joe Gelhardt our first new signing of the season

Good luck to the lad
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 10th August) Leeds win race to sign teenage sensation Joe Gelhardt

Post by Ratscoot »

Don’t know much about the lad but highly rated if you read the online stuff, definitely would be developed here at Leeds but other rumour is that he’ll be going out on loan, fee of £900k is peanuts and worth the punt, also hope this helps out Wigan and the staff
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 10th August) Leeds win race to sign teenage sensation Joe Gelhardt

Post by HarryofOz »

I'd love to see those 30 gilt-edged opportunities that Bamford missed.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Let's hope it's not another gambling sponsor.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

It’s good to see that we are able to win the race to sign promising young footballers like Gelhardt and Allen against some of the Premier Leagues more established clubs. But it sounds to me, from what Phil Hay is saying, that we are not envisaging bringing any more than one (Ben White) or at most two 1st teamers in by the start of the season.

For the last 2 years we’ve definitely been a club “on the up”, I just hope the feel good factor and momentum can be maintained through next season if we are not going to significantly improve the team from last season.
Spk
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Spk »

Why put him on loan when if he is a good as they say,Marcelo will make him better and we
need a stronger set of players who can change a game and come of the bench.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

SG90 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:12 am Let's hope it's not another gambling sponsor.
Word has it, its Klipper
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Spk wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:44 am Why put him on loan when if he is a good as they say,Marcelo will make him better and we
need a stronger set of players who can change a game and come of the bench.
Welcome to the forum Spk,

I can see half our 23's going out on loan!!!
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Good to see any red-hot prospect. Hopefully in a couple of seasons' time all this investment will bear fruit.

Not surprised in the slightest to see Bamford up front. Even if we signed the likes of Haaland, they would still have to earn their spot like everyone else, plus whoever we get in will need several months at least to get up to speed with Bielsaball.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Afternoon all, hope everyone is well.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:23 am I'd love to see those 30 gilt-edged opportunities that Bamford missed.
As few as 30 ? I though we were maybe looking at 3 numbers :) . I'm guessing though Bamford wished he never saw those chances , or maybe he didn't .
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I also think 30 is on the very low side
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:44 pm I also think 30 is on the very low side
I twas 27 with 4 matches to go.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:57 pm I twas 27 with 4 matches to go.
Depends who's counting...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"