They Love Us

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

They Love Us

Post by Cjay » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:32 am

On the back of an excellent article by Henry Winter are we becoming media darlings? :love:

Traditionally there has been a siege mentality, nobody liked us, the media hate us, opposition fans hate us, we didnt care.

But this season imo there has been a bit of a change. It started with Marcelo Bielsa arriving, the Legendary Argentinian is a fascinating man, with his gung ho style of football, his obsessive ways, his natural charisma, he is a football writers dream.

We saw that with "spygate", good or bad, the coverage was endless, it was everywhere, open a paper, turn on the tele, turn on the radio, invariably "spygate" would be there.

At Premier league press conferences Pep, Klopp, Mourinho, Poch, they were all being asked about it, Sky dedicated days to it with "BREAKING NEWS" splashed all over the screen whenever anything happened.

Because it was Bielsa coverage wasn't limited to these shores, South America,Europe, it was worldwide news. It was us against the world again!!!!!!

Except it wasn't, yes you had the ramblings of bit part ex players falling over each other to get some air time and show outrage, you had some managers in the EFL desperate to save face and avoid awkward questions from their Chairman about what they actually do every day.

But when you really looked around you realised actually it wasnt us vs everyone else. Endless journalists were firing out articles at a rapid rate in our defence, highlighting the hypocrisy of the whole thing, even Sky golden boys Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher found the whole thing hilarious and threw their full support behind Bielsa and Leeds (much to the annoyance of Sky I'm sure).

A look at social media and opposition forums and to great surprise we weren't a figure of fun or "dirty Leeds" or cheating Leeds, most football fans were on our side, we had almost universal support, most found the whole situation hilarious and it was the "victim" Frank Lampard and Derby County who were being laughed at for making such a fuss and also for the blatant hypocrisy of it ( that laundry basket will haunt you Frank).

Even when the EFL fined us there were many who thought the fine was far to heavy for such a wishy washy reason, we were fast becoming darlings in the football world.

For years our fans have had an us vs them mentality, and we have needed it, we havent exactly had an easy time and people have lined up to kick us over the years.

Its a mentality that will probably always be there (for some more then others).

But Henry Winter's article is just the latest in a long line of praise for us this season, there have been many more over spygate, Bielsa, the style of football we play, our fans, we are box office, we are the story of the EFL (probably why they are desperate to keep us).

Not just on these shores either, South American coverage has been vast, Europe to, slowly this season our once hated club has endeared itself to the masses, just the other day we were talked about on Jimmy Kimmel in the States thanks to Leeds fan and Game Of Thrones actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

Most have finished laughing at us now, most recognise that as a club we have suffered,we have had a hard time over the last 15 years.

You only have to look at the responses on twitter to Henry's article, Liverpool fans, Chelsea fans, Manchester United fans, they miss us, they miss the Elland Road atmosphere, they miss the anticipation of the Leeds match they miss the hype they miss the tension they miss LUFC.

Its a strange feeling as a Leeds fan, so long hated and ridiculed.

But now journalists are praising us left right and centre, opposition fans (who hated us before) are throwing there support behind us.

Bielsa is box office, Leeds United are box office.

For so long we have been a figure of fun, hated by all.

But not anymore, the media want us to go up, opposition fans want us to go up (from our hated old rivals to our current promotion rivals).

It may be hard for the average Leeds fan to adjust to given the siege mentality but it is no longer us vs the world.

This season the World is with us cheering us on :)

Do we like that? Hard to say.

But its certainly different, and thats in keeping with this season, its been different :roflmao:
Last edited by Cjay on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Re: They Love Us

Post by faaip » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:34 am

Not good, what can we do to make them hate us again?
BPF - Hossannah - Halme - Diaz - Struijk - Oduor - Gotts - Stevens - McCalmont - Temenuzhkov - Shackleton

"objective fan" - is that a consistent oxymoron?"

THE FUTURE'S BRIGHT THE FUTURE IS WHITE

SaraM
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by SaraM » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Most people I know still seem to think I'm tainted by my support for Leeds; I had it again in the pub at the weekend.

Media approval, or otherwise is a double edged sword; these things always go in cycles, so I wouldn't set too much store by it. As soon as we become popular, they'll be waiting to knock us down again.

leic white 63
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by leic white 63 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:48 pm

we are a unique football club and i'd much rather it stayed that way than be turned into some media loving circus.

love being Hated :twisted:

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:09 pm

British tabloid - build us up so that they can knock us down again if we fail to go up. Makes the story, if we fail, so much bigger.

I do think however a lot of fans of our traditional rivals would like to see us back in the premiership as there simply isn't the longstanding rivalry/hatred when they play the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley, Huddersfield etc
Senor El Weasel

Irish Ian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Irish Ian » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm

I just remember the O'Leary / Risdale years when we were back page news seven days a week.

I hope it never gets like that again.
"We can wait for the next game with serenity"

"I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it"

Marcelo Bielsa.

lufc1304
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:51 pm

I have friends who support Liverpool, Chelski, scum, Arse, City, they all want us back in the PL for the rivalry. As others have said, an awayday to the dog botherers or Brighton is hardly going to get the blood pumping. But I agree with those who see the typical British tabloid move in this current love-in, build us up to knock us down. Media darlings? Nah, f**k that, we're Dirty Leeds and we always will be. Even if Don Marcelo has made us a thing of beauty this season!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson