Escape To The Perfect Town

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Mrs64
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3410
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by Mrs64 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:03 pm

I've always enjoyed programmes such as Escape To The Country/Location, Location, Location

'Escape To The Town' could be quite interesting featuring towns around the UK. I missed the start of the series last week, this series is on BBC1 at 3pm each day

Here is a list of the towns featured next week :

Monday - Tunbridge Wells (know it well being a Sussex lass)
Tuesday - Guildford
Wednesday - Abergavenny (Leon & I been going there for the last 15 years to visit friends, lovely area)
Thursday - Bideford
Friday - Arundel (another lovely rural area in Sussex we're both familiar with)

User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6060
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: Salisbury

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by hector » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:32 pm

I have spent an awful lot of hours around Abergavenny!! can't say I like it though. :)
Ever start typing something and then forget what



:) :)

User avatar
Ellandback1
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3156
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by Ellandback1 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Mrs64 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:03 pm
I've always enjoyed programmes such as Escape To The Country/Location, Location, Location

'Escape To The Town' could be quite interesting featuring towns around the UK. I missed the start of the series last week, this series is on BBC1 at 3pm each day

Here is a list of the towns featured next week :

Monday - Tunbridge Wells (know it well being a Sussex lass)
Tuesday - Guildford
Wednesday - Abergavenny (Leon & I been going there for the last 15 years to visit friends, lovely area)
Thursday - Bideford
Friday - Arundel (another lovely rural area in Sussex we're both familiar with)
My auntie lives in Arundel, and my parents live ten minutes for there - Bognor Regis.

Arundel has a big castle...

Mrs64
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3410
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by Mrs64 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:37 pm

We stay at our friends house on the outskirts of Abergavenny in the hills facing the Sugar Loaf mountain Hector :-D

Mrs64
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3410
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by Mrs64 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Ellandback1 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:36 pm
My auntie lives in Arundel, and my parents live ten minutes for there - Bognor Regis.

Arundel has a big castle...
Arundel has a lovely castle Elland

User avatar
Ellandback1
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3156
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by Ellandback1 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:42 pm

Mrs64 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:39 pm
Arundel has a lovely castle Elland
Indeed

User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6060
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: Salisbury

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by hector » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Mrs64 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:37 pm
We stay at our friends house on the outskirts of Abergavenny in the hills facing the Sugar Loaf mountain Hector :-D
My feet know Sugar Loaf and all the surrounding hills and mountains very very well indeed, I would like to say it is a lovely part of the world........ but I can't :)

Faaip lives in Guildford :)
Ever start typing something and then forget what



:) :)

User avatar
gessa
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21221
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by gessa » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Can't wait to see how they portray Wolverhampton.

User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7933
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by YorkshireSquare » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Escape to Rotherham?
Help the site by making your Amazon purchases through our afiliate link.

User avatar
John in Louisiana
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by John in Louisiana » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:23 pm

I'm planning on being in Leeds for about a week in March and am looking for walks, either in the countryside or in picturesque villages (the sorts of villages Ray Davies wrote about American tourists visiting in Village Green Preservation Society).

Out of my week, I will spend one day at Elland Road (assuming I can get a ticket), one day in Leeds (including the Royal Armouries museum), and one stop at Betty's (either in Harrogate or York). So I have three or four days to go exploring. The Dales are a given, but the Dales are quite large and there are a multitude of trails to walk. Pately Bridge seems like a nice village and a good starting point for a day hike. My thoughts, however, are based on no first-hand knowledge.

So suggestions from those who know what they're talking about would be most welcome.

User avatar
Ratscoot
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2105
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by Ratscoot » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:55 pm

John in Louisiana wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:23 pm
I'm planning on being in Leeds for about a week in March and am looking for walks, either in the countryside or in picturesque villages (the sorts of villages Ray Davies wrote about American tourists visiting in Village Green Preservation Society).

Out of my week, I will spend one day at Elland Road (assuming I can get a ticket), one day in Leeds (including the Royal Armouries museum), and one stop at Betty's (either in Harrogate or York). So I have three or four days to go exploring. The Dales are a given, but the Dales are quite large and there are a multitude of trails to walk. Pately Bridge seems like a nice village and a good starting point for a day hike. My thoughts, however, are based on no first-hand knowledge.

So suggestions from those who know what they're talking about would be most welcome.
John you’ve gotta do Brid for Harbour fish & chips but avoid the Seagulls size of bloody dogs
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 73955
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by 1964white » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:11 pm

I doubt they'll be featuring Wolverhampton or Rotherham Ges & Adam.

Those places are for another programme 'Worst towns in the UK'

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 73955
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by 1964white » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Ratscoot wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:55 pm
John you’ve gotta do Brid for Harbour fish & chips but avoid the Seagulls size of bloody dogs
Best cafe/tea-room is Victoria Mill in Brid which is down a alleyway opposite the HSBC bank

Homemade cakes/scones (baked on the day) & a cup of latte £5 for two, double the price & more anywhere else, Also furnished with comfortable leather settees, much nicer environment than the cramped Costa & other cafes sitting on plastic chairs. It is like an Aladdin's Cave inside, fascinating place we've visited VM three times in the last couple of weeks it's that good :-D

Seagulls are worse in St Ives Rat

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 30223
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by faaip » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:38 pm

hector wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:03 pm
My feet know Sugar Loaf and all the surrounding hills and mountains very very well indeed, I would like to say it is a lovely part of the world........ but I can't :)

Faaip lives in Guildford :)
Not quite but very close, worked there an awful lot though...
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 73955
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by 1964white » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:41 pm

faaip wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:38 pm
Not quite but very close, worked there an awful lot though...
GW use to live in Giuldford before moving to Devon

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 30223
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by faaip » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:02 pm

He did,on the outskirts. I'm around 6 miles away from the outskirts.
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 73955
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by 1964white » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:40 pm

faaip wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:02 pm
He did,on the outskirts. I'm around 6 miles away from the outskirts.
Is that decent record shop still open in Guildford ?

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 30223
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by faaip » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Not sure, haven't been down that end recently
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7933
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by YorkshireSquare » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:16 pm

John in Louisiana wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:23 pm
I'm planning on being in Leeds for about a week in March and am looking for walks, either in the countryside or in picturesque villages (the sorts of villages Ray Davies wrote about American tourists visiting in Village Green Preservation Society).

Out of my week, I will spend one day at Elland Road (assuming I can get a ticket), one day in Leeds (including the Royal Armouries museum), and one stop at Betty's (either in Harrogate or York). So I have three or four days to go exploring. The Dales are a given, but the Dales are quite large and there are a multitude of trails to walk. Pately Bridge seems like a nice village and a good starting point for a day hike. My thoughts, however, are based on no first-hand knowledge.

So suggestions from those who know what they're talking about would be most welcome.

You renting a car or relying on public transport?

Grassington is a bit of a fave re the Dales and Whitby up on the North Yorks coast is great but would need a car really.
Help the site by making your Amazon purchases through our afiliate link.

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 30223
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by faaip » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:47 pm

The Davis Village Green is more south of England Sub Urban type village green, wouldn't it be?
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

Post Reply

Advertisment