Wolverhampton v Leeds United - Statistics and Predictions

17 Feb 2021 05:07 pm, by YorkshireSquare


Following defeat to Arsenal, Leeds have the chance to bounce back quickly in the Premier League as they take on Wolverhampton Wanderers on Friday 19th February when Nuno Espírito Santo’s charges will host Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds United at Molineux. The two teams are almost neck and neck and are next to each other in Premier League 2020/21 table, with just two points separating the sides. Marcelo Bielsa’s team are in 11th place in the table on 32 points, whilst their opponents are in 12th on 30 points. Leeds do have a game in hand though.


Team Statistics
Last year was a good season for Wolves finishing 7th, though they were left without any European football, finishing outside Europa League places, level on points with Spurs but with an inferior goal difference. At just over the halfway mark in the the current Premier League season, Wolves have played 24 games with wins, six draws, and ten losses. In their last EPL match, away against Southampton, Wolves came from behind to take the spoils at St Mary's 2-1 thanks to a Ruben Neves penalty and a Pedro Neto stunner.

Leeds United have played one less game thanks to their postponed match against Southampton. Ten of them ended in victory, two were a draw and eleven were defeats. Marcelo Bielsa's team have scored 40 goals this season, placing them level Chelsea, ranking them fifth in the Premier League scoring charts. Wolves only managed to find the back of the net 25 times this season.

Last time out, Leeds were defeated 4-2 by Arsenal. A poor first half performance was redeemed somewhat in the second half with Leeds on the front foot for the final half an hour of the game. Goals from Pascal Struijk and Helder Costa gave the Whites hope but it wasn’t to be in the end.


Pre-game Facts
According to the statistics and data from bookmaker-ratings.com, Wolverhampton Wanderes score an average of one goal per game in Premier League matches and concede an average of 1.3 goals. Leeds United however score more, 1.7 on average, and concede 1.8 goals on average. It is also known that:

  • Leeds have scored more than 2 goals in each of their last seven away games
  • In the last five matches, Marcelo Bielsa's side scored in the second half
  • In Leeds United’s last three away games both teams scored
  • Leeds United have not drawn for the last 14 games
  • Wolverhampton lost five of their last 11 games, four were a draw and they won twice




Previous Meetings
The teams last met each other on back in October at Elland Road. The match ended with Wolves winning 1-0 after Raul Jimenez’s 70th minute shot took a cruel deflection off Kalvin Phillips. The previous meetings were in the Championship during Wolves promotion winning season. The points went back to the West Midlands on both occasions that season with Wolves winning 4-1 at Molineux and 3-0 in the return fixture at Elland Road.


Prediction
The favorites with the bookies for this Friday’s game are Wolves. According to experts, the chances of Nuno Espirito’s side winning are estimated at 37%. Experts have less faith in a Leeds United victory. The probability of winning for the visitors is estimated at 33%. With the chance of a draw at 30%. But with Leeds United there is never usually much chance of a draw and the bookies are predicting that both teams will score. Leeds were finding their feet in the Premier League the last time the two sides met with Wolves aiming to repeat their fight for European places.

The tide has turned now however with Leeds on the ascendancy and Wolves dipping in form. I fancy Leeds to take the points this time, a 2-1 victory!