Leeds trust the current first team squad to be successful

16 Aug 2022 08:07 am, by Ellandback1


Good Morning. It's Tuesday 16th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...


Leeds 'trust the current first-team squad to be successful'

Fabrizio Romano has claimed that Leeds 'trust the current first-team squad to be successful', and will only splash the cash if the right targets become available. It was assumed that Bamford's latest injury would send the Elland Road scouts into overdrive, but according to the reliable transfer guru, Leeds are playing it cool.

Whilst Rodrigo has hit a rich vein of form, scoring six goals in three outings (if you include the hat trick he scored against Cagliari just over a fortnight ago), consistency has been a problem for the Spaniard, since his arrival at Elland Road two years ago. This only leaves Gelhardt as their only other recognised first team forward.

New year wins against Burnley and West Ham persuaded the Whites not to invest during the January transfer window, and it almost cost them their top flight status. Are Leeds going to gamble again? According to Romano...

For Leeds, they are exploring some options. But they want to make sure that it is the right opportunity. They don’t want to waste money, they trust the players they have, and so they’re looking at the market for some opportunities.




Dumb mistakes cost us - Struijk

Pascal Struijk has highlighted 'dumb mistake' as being the reason why Leeds only returned from St Mary's with a point at the weekend. The versatile defender also admitted that Hasenhuttl's triple substitution made it difficult for the Leeds defence. He said...

Some dumb mistakes from us really which gave them the chance to equalise. But really we should see this game out and make sure we win this. We had chances as well but we just need to score them and make sure we don’t concede them. When they put so many attackers on they’re going to create some pressure on the back line but make sure we don’t concede and this is the biggest thing. It made it hard for us.




Plucky Canaries come from behind twice to claim draw

Norwich City's U21's came from behind twice last night to secure a well deserved draw against an experienced Leeds side which included Mateusz Klich and Adam Forshaw.

Mateo Joseph's rich vein of form in front of goal continued, as he fired the Whites ahead after just seven minutes (his fifth in two games). The lead would only last a few minutes however; Kamara tucked away Springett's cross from close range. Leeds has efforts on goal from Klich and Summerville, but neither could restore the hosts advantage. The Canaries could have stolen the lead just before half-time, but Christy's smart save denied Springett from the edge of the area.

Whatever Michael Skubala (Leeds U21 Manager) said at half-time seemed to work, as the Whites retook the lead two minutes into the second half. Summerville's sublime through ball cut the Norwich defence in half, and Perkins was on hand to grab his second goal in as many games. Leeds could have extended their lead further, as the quality of Joseph and Summerville began to shine through, but Norwich had other ideas. Their equaliser came on the hour mark from Abu Kamara. His well executed curling shot gave Christy no chance.

Joseph and Summerville both had further opportunities to restore Leeds advantage, including an injury time effort from the Dutchman that rattled the post, but the game ended in stalemate.





Should Summerville go out on loan

Crysencio Summerville looked a different class last night, during the 2-2 draw against Norwich, but whilst he stood out for Skubala's side, I can't help but think he needs to go out on loan. The soon-to-be 21yo needs to be playing first team football. His performances might light up Thorp Arch, but I can't see him getting the same opportunities at Elland Road. He has signed a new long term deal, and under the right management, has the potential to improve further should he play week in, week out!




View all Showing latest 5 comments of 98...

SaraM wrote on 21 Aug 2022 10:14 pm

danhirons wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:44 pm Fared quite well I think :)
Yup, today it worked. Hat's off!

danhirons wrote on 21 Aug 2022 05:44 pm

SaraM wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:44 am Sorry, but the comparisons are inevitable because he was brought in as an upgrade, to supposedly do what Bielsa couldn't. The validity of that decision, and of his appointment, rests on there being some discernible progress. I've yet to see it. We've looked a mess for the majority of Marsch's games so far.

The mantra has been, next season, when he's got his own players. He's been fully backed, so there are no excuses now, yet we're throwing away games like Southampton. Let's see how we fare against Chelsea.
Fared quite well I think :)

Cjay wrote on 18 Aug 2022 08:16 am

weasel wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:34 am As I say thought the trouble seems to be more about how good the young players were.The two you mention, Gelhardt and Summerville, would appear to be the standouts but we hae also seen with Marsch that Gelhardt is seen as a back-up and Summerville seems to be behind Aaronsen, Harrison, James and Sinister in the pecking order - how long will the cuddles from Marsch keep him happy if he still isn't getting minutes. Gelhardt also seems to have almost continual injury niggles so it may be that MB and no JM are trying to protect him and he isn't physically ready yet to be a regular starter.

An interesting case is Drameh. Backed himself to go out on loan but despite doing really well at Cardiff Marsch still bought another right back.

So given what I have mentioned I have yet to really see any evidence that Marsch is set to play more youthsfor us than MB did. Time will tell I suppose.

With Man City, and even with us, it seems that when a player goes out on loan it is because the manager as made his mind up that they aren't good enough so he is simply washing his hands of them but at the same time hoping they do well out on loan so they can get a bigger fee.
We will see I suppose.

I do think the club have clearly shown faith in Summerville for example by allowing him to take Raphinha's number 10 squad number and with the 5 sub rule I think he will be a regular player.

Maybe not starter but I think he will get more opportunities under Marsch than Bielsa.

Whether MB would have done the same with 5 subs is possible but we won't know now.

I wonder how much the injury to Ayling influenced the signing of Kristensen? Does Marsch rate Drameh? I don't know

Wish they'd show the same desire to sign a bloody left back :lol:

As you say maybe Gelhardt's clear fitness issues are one of the reasons MB and now Marsch was hesitant with Joffy? But I do think Marsch allowing Roberts to leave on loan does show he has more faith in him than Bielsa did fortunately (all be it we do imo need an additional attacker).

Some merit to what you say about City but I think with certain players like James McAtee for example it is just a case of Pep wanting him to get minutes which because of his squad is something he can't do.

An acid test perhaps?

weasel wrote on 18 Aug 2022 12:34 am

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:45 pm Training is important absolutely and learning drills etc but the idea was we used the same playing style throughout the age groups right down to repetition of movement.

Idea was that should lessen drastically the time it took for youth players to adapt at first team level.

But that didnt seem to be the case and in the end it frustrated the youth players as Bielsa admitted.
As I say thought the trouble seems to be more about how good the young players were.The two you mention, Gelhardt and Summerville, would appear to be the standouts but we hae also seen with Marsch that Gelhardt is seen as a back-up and Summerville seems to be behind Aaronsen, Harrison, James and Sinister in the pecking order - how long will the cuddles from Marsch keep him happy if he still isn't getting minutes. Gelhardt also seems to have almost continual injury niggles so it may be that MB and no JM are trying to protect him and he isn't physically ready yet to be a regular starter.

An interesting case is Drameh. Backed himself to go out on loan but despite doing really well at Cardiff Marsch still bought another right back.

So given what I have mentioned I have yet to really see any evidence that Marsch is set to play more youthsfor us than MB did. Time will tell I suppose.

With Man City, and even with us, it seems that when a player goes out on loan it is because the manager as made his mind up that they aren't good enough so he is simply washing his hands of them but at the same time hoping they do well out on loan so they can get a bigger fee.

Cjay wrote on 17 Aug 2022 09:55 pm

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:54 pm Pep was quoted on TSB last week as saying that this was his preferred system too.
Very true mate.

Pep himself uses a very small squad.

It's one of the things he has gotten criticism for in the media and also by his own fans.

His lack of use of the youth players to is a big cause of frustration on the City forum.

Him and Bielsa like two peas in a pod.

When the KP stuff started the City fans wanted them to use Lavia instead for example.

Weren't happy about McAtee being loaned out or Tommy Doyle either.

Difference is that Man City have a squad of the best of the best so you can justify it to a degree.

They have a squad of 18 or whatever it is of players who are each in the top 10 players in each position in the world.

Only a handful of players will be good enough to get into that 18 in each role.

Only maybe 1 or 2 youth players in the world will be in that group, like Foden.

So that's how it can be justified for Pep imo.

We don't have that luxury and the Man City board don't claim to be a team with a clear pathway for youth.

And because the Man City team is so successful they never really go through periods long enough for Pep to be seriously questioned.