Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Bielsa names unchanged starting XI

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
John in Louisiana
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Bielsa names unchanged starting XI

Post by John in Louisiana » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:15 pm

faaip wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:11 pm
Good enough win, 3 points up on this time last season

Casilla - 7 - Nothing to do all game
Ayling - 6 - Lost his player for their goal and defensively suspect. Always takes Luke a while to regain his form
Cooper - 7 - Fairly easy afternoon for him till the injury
White - 8 - Class
Dallas - 7 - Worked hard, end product lacking
Costa - 8 - Always a threat and improves with every game
Phillips - 9- Outstanding today, key contribution for our second, tackled about as well as I've seen. Corners were excellent and deserved better results
Klich - 8 - Quietly paced the game from midfield. Good game
Harrison - 7 - Poor first touch today from him, not up to his usual standard but nice first time trike for the goal and maybe should have had two
Roberts - 8 - We have a player there, still learning the position, still a ways away from peak but gets better with every game
Bamford - 7 - Work rate top class, lovely bring down and pass for the goal but I still don't rate his positioning in the box when we are attacking and I want to see him get in front of the defender or peel off

Berardi - 7 - Solid and reliable as ever
Pablo - 7 - Nice to see him back, hopefully gets a nice easy introduction back into the first team in a week or two
Davis - 7 - Certainly hope we don't waste this talent, one for the future for sure
Agree with pretty much every assessment except for Bamford. He was all over today. Defended at least two corners, tracked back beautifully to disrupt a number of attacks, and caused the center of their defense fits.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Bielsa names unchanged starting XI

Post by faaip » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:17 pm

Cjay wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:00 pm
WBa and Preston both won to.

top 3 now have a minimum 3 point gap on the rest.
Don't think Preston have the depth or quality to go the distance, their current form probably sees them grab a playoff place though. Brom are legit as are we
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:19 pm

John in Louisiana wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:15 pm
Agree with pretty much every assessment except for Bamford. He was all over today. Defended at least two corners, tracked back beautifully to disrupt a number of attacks, and caused the center of their defense fits.
He did work hard, but that's the easy bit isn't it? I mean Jack gets no kudos for all his tracking back and defending either.
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

Mick Jones shoulder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Mick Jones shoulder » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Can't agree for Harrison irrespective of the goal, he just doesn't play with his head up. Seems to take the wrong option repeatedly, want him to be better because he seems to get in good positions only to c**k up. Good win though.
Last edited by Mick Jones shoulder on Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:23 pm

SaraM wrote:
Thought Roberts was good today. Just about our only attacking threat through the middle.
All about opinions. :)

Imo as a 10 he should be creating chances and threatening the goal, aside from 1 shot i cant remember much of any note.

John in Louisiana
Manager
Manager

Post by John in Louisiana » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:25 pm

faaip wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:19 pm
He did work hard, but that's the easy bit isn't it? I mean Jack gets no kudos for all his tracking back and defending either.
I've always been a big fan of the players who do all the little things that don't necessarily show up on the score sheet. Roofe was that sort of player when he was here; Bamford is now, as is Kalvin.

Working hard is the hard part. That's why it's called hard work. ;-)

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:25 pm

faaip wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:17 pm
Don't think Preston have the depth or quality to go the distance, their current form probably sees them grab a playoff place though. Brom are legit as are we
Maybe.

But a lot of people said the same about Norwich and Blades.

Wasn't impressed when we played Preston tbh but they keep chugging on.

WBA are favourites imo, still wouldn't discount Fulham or even Brentford.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Mick Jones shoulder wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:20 pm
Can't agree for Harrison irrespective of the goal, he just doesn't play with his head up. Seems to take the wrong option repeatedly, want him to be better because he seems to get in got positions o ly to c**k up. Good win though.
That sums him up quite well actually.

Head down driving on beating the same defenders 4 or 5 times, delaying the cross or pass for ages.

He lacks the awareness and composure that better wingers have (not just top ones but even at this level), they know when to pick there head up, get it in early, keep their cool in front of goal.

Tbf he did alright today I thought, nice finish, but always this sense that it could have been more for him if he had those two qualities above.

herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Cjay wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:29 pm
That sums him up quite well actually.

Head down driving on beating the same defenders 4 or 5 times, delaying the cross or pass for ages.

He lacks the awareness and composure that better wingers have (not just top ones but even at this level), they know when to pick there head up, get it in early, keep their cool in front of goal.

Tbf he did alright today I thought, nice finish, but always this sense that it could have been more for him if he had those two qualities above.
Cant agree too much with this on Harrison. Dont really feel we can criticise him too harshly as he has two goals and is it 4 or 5 assists in his last 5 or 6 games.... not bad for a player who doesnt play with his head up.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:16 pm

John in Louisiana wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:25 pm
I've always been a big fan of the players who do all the little things that don't necessarily show up on the score sheet. Roofe was that sort of player when he was here; Bamford is now, as is Kalvin.

Working hard is the hard part. That's why it's called hard work. ;-)
Roofe had far superior movement and pace, he'd have 10 plus by now playing the same time. Very clever footballer
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

rab_rant
Manager
Manager

Post by rab_rant » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:25 pm

Cjay wrote: Blackburn deserved a draw.

Their commentary team told us so.
The commentators were stealing lines from Marlon Brando... We could have been contenders.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Scottish Steel and Irish Fire that's the weapon I desire.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:38 pm

herefordbornleedsboy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:16 pm
Cant agree too much with this on Harrison. Dont really feel we can criticise him too harshly as he has two goals and is it 4 or 5 assists in his last 5 or 6 games.... not bad for a player who doesnt play with his head up.
But how many more goals and assists would he have over the last 12 months if he did get his head up?

How many crosses get blocked because he tries to beat the man 2 or 3 times rather then cross early.

How many decent chances go begging because he doesnt shoot early or pass early.

He gets into more great positions then any other player and his 1st touch is class. But cant remember a single game he has played in where i haven't thought at the end "that should have been far more for him".

His end product is improving but just think the amount of space and touches he gets and with the positions he takes up he should do more.

Even today, 4 shots only 1 on target (took that well tbf) only created 1 chance for a teammate yet touched the ball more times then Costa, Bamford and Roberts who all created just as many chances.

Find Harrison very frustration because he is close to being a quality winger at this level but the same things that were a problem last season still are.

BGwhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BGwhite » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Harrison is top or joint top in the league for assists and weighing in with goals , he will be one of the first names on the sheet without a doubt but he could be a blinding player if he just improved his crosses or finishing by a tiny percentage. In a way I feel sorry for him because he's a tryer.

Irish Ian
First Team
First Team

Post by Irish Ian » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:06 pm

Yay!

I’m keeping with t’ culture I’m off t’ pub (again)

I’ll write up my day tomorrow.
"We can wait for the next game with serenity"

"I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it"

Marcelo Bielsa.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Irish Ian wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:06 pm
Yay!

I’m keeping with t’ culture I’m off t’ pub (again)

I’ll write up my day tomorrow.
Or maybe Monday :)

SaraM
First Team
First Team

Post by SaraM » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:14 pm

Cjay wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:23 pm
All about opinions. :)

Imo as a 10 he should be creating chances and threatening the goal, aside from 1 shot i cant remember much of any note.
The pass to Ayling for the penalty.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:28 pm

John in Louisiana wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:56 pm
Davis putting in an outstanding 60 seconds
:lol: :lol: :lol:

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Cjay wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:31 pm
Not to impressed by Roberts today.

Hernandez for Roberts for me.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:37 pm

SaraM wrote:
Thought Roberts was good today. Just about our only attacking threat through the middle.
He was Sara, our most intelligent attacking threat without any doubt :tup: more from Tyler please

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:41 pm

1964white wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:37 pm
He was Sara, our most intelligent attacking threat without any doubt :tup: more from Tyler please
Agreed, wouldn't be unhappy if he replaced Paddy up front but he's coming along as a number 10. Early days though but he's going to be very good
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

Advertisment