Crystal Palace Thread - 2022/23 Season Review.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Conor Gallagher- RUMOUR

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:25 am Deary me, how depressing. :cry:
Still not got over Almada myself :cry:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:23 am Because they want to keep making a mint on loan deals. Lewis Baker is still at Chelsea btw, despite having 0 chance of making it there.
It's their prerogative. I think comparing Baker, who has been leant out with options to buy, with Gallagher is a bit of a reach. It's a negotiation and we won't know how that goes till it happens, if it happens. Gallagher looks the archetypal Bielsa player, multi-role, very good tackler/defender who then knows how to move the ball once won.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:07 am If he's that s**t why don't Chelsea just sell him? Looks like a ready made #4 or #8 to me, Bielsa would make him top class, looks a top tackler and dangerous with ball at feet. I can see why Chelsea don't wanna sell, and I can see why Bielsa likes him, reminds me a bit of Gary Mac.

I don't like the loan bit either but that's not down to us and he would improve the matchday squad once he settles

I hate you tube vids as they cherry pick but we keep getting them here as some kind of proof so
Looks decent to me :tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Still not keep on developing a Chelsea player in a position we can get cover for.

While we benefitted from White in that he was a key player in our promotion push I wonder how much of that 50M fee Brighton pocketed was down to the year he was with us.

Now if this rumour is true we are in danger of doing it again with a player we do not need.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:11 pm Looks decent to me :tup:
Finish top 10 in the Prem and get a points total that hasnt been matched for 20 years

To improve our squad we get a bit part player who didn't impress at the relegated side he played for last season and pay for the privilege of borrowing him?

Nah its a proper Sheffield United/WBA/Norwich yoyo club signing this.

We've gone from being linked to buying fully fledged highly rated internationals like Nandez and De Paul to this?

Why? Because apparently we cant try to replace Klich and Dallas who are now Xavi and Iniesta?

Its tinpot and exactly the sort of standing still signing people were worried about.

Ffp has been relaxed and we go all cheap? The season to push on is now while we have momentum and Bielsa and relaxed ffp rules.

But no we decide to pad our squad with bit part bench fillers.

Meh what happened to only buying players better than what we have and never doing a loan without an option to buy again?
Signed

King Cjay

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:27 pm Still not keep on developing a Chelsea player in a position we can get cover for.

While we benefitted from White in that he was a key player in our promotion push I wonder how much of that 50M fee Brighton pocketed was down to the year he was with us.

Now if this rumour is true we are in danger of doing it again with a player we do not need.
Which, if it is true, means we've learned nothing from a very salty lesson.

I'd much prefer we put time into Shackleton, Greenwood and Geldhardt, or others of ours, who are already familiar with our style of play and should be seen as the future progression of the club. I keep hearing that everyone's interchangeable, so if that's the case then those three should be capable of playing in multiple advanced positions.

When will these players be deemed ready to compete for the first team? We invested a lot into Harrison, and Struijk (because of injuries) and there's a decent argument to say that this has been a successful approach in their cases. In contrast, Tyler Roberts is a bust for me, but that's fair enough as they're not all gonna make it.

Investing time, money and coaching in our opponents players seems completely illogical to me, and I was hoping we'd put those days behind us when we finally escaped the Championship.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:50 pm Finish top 10 in the Prem and get a points total that hasnt been matched for 20 years

To improve our squad we get a bit part player who didn't impress at the relegated side he played for last season and pay for the privilege of borrowing him?

We've gone from being linked to buying fully fledged highly rated internationals like Nandez and De Paul to this?

Why? Because apparently we cant try to replace Klich and Dallas who are now Xavi and Iniesta?

Its tinpot and exactly the sort of standing still signing people were worried about.

Ffp has been relaxed and we go all cheap? The season to push on is now while we have momentum and Bielsa and relaxed ffp rules.

Meh what happened to only buying players better than what we have and never doing a loan without an option to buy again?
I agree 100% Cjay :tup:

If CG happens (and hopefully the story is just a ruse) we're not moving forward as we need to do.

There is no way that you can stand still at this level.

I still believe we need a quality marquee playmaker in, Pereira, Cunha, Nandez, etc, and have done since Saiz departed. If that comes to pass then I'll be satisfied. Barring the Covid factor, we will have full gates next season, lots of tv money, and an expanding global presence. So why would we stall? Now is the time to strike and not stagnate.

We need a special component added to our Swiss Army Knife if we want to rise up while we still have the luxury of MB at our disposal
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

I don't get this one at all really . If he is any good Chelsea aren't going to strengthen possible rivals or a team potentially in a chase with them , if not this season , fairly soon . The idea of a loan , again if he is good and it benefits him , benefits his value to Chelsea either as a player or a sale .As a player I know next to nothing about him so don't know what he would add to Leeds, is he drastically better than anything the club already have for instance ?
Just Joe on YouTube thinks it's a very good deal , but really , I see more advantage to Chelsea right now and if he is that good I would much prefer a buy option for Leeds as was with Jack Harrison . Might check WBA forum to see what they thought of him , heard he shone under Bilic but not Allardyce .
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:50 pm Finish top 10 in the Prem and get a points total that hasnt been matched for 20 years

I understand where you are coming from Cjay.

I hoping we bring a couple of quality signings, looking more & more unlikely though :(
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:59 am I'm just hoping this is all just a smokescreen for another signing.

Apparently he turned us down a few weeks ago and he turned us down last year too. Plus he looks like a right Tory. :lol:
As I've always maintained all Tories must hang :lol:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:36 pm I understand where you are coming from Cjay.

I hoping we bring a couple of quality signings, looking more & more unlikely though :(
Yeah, I'd hoped we'd moved on from me getting that sinking feeling in my stomach every summer :cry:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I hear ya, but you have to remember this is only our second season of tv money. We are the paupers of the division along with Brentford. We spent a lot last year and have made a lot of losses in the Championship. We can't just throw money around like there is no tomorrow.

I personally would like to see us use the squad more and the likes of Shackleton, Gelhardt, Greenwood rather than constantly signing players and wasting money. Just because Gallagher is on loan he won't be cheap. Chelski will want a big loan fee and all wages paid.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:10 pm I agree 100% Cjay :tup:

If CG happens (and hopefully the story is just a ruse) we're not moving forward as we need to do.

There is no way that you can stand still at this level.

I still believe we need a quality marquee playmaker in, Pereira, Cunha, Nandez, etc, and have done since Saiz departed. If that comes to pass then I'll be satisfied. Barring the Covid factor, we will have full gates next season, lots of tv money, and an expanding global presence. So why would we stall? Now is the time to strike and not stagnate.

We need a special component added to our Swiss Army Knife if we want to rise up while we still have the luxury of MB at our disposal
That for me is a massive concern.

All you read online is how we cant replace this player in the starting 11, cant replace that player, mustn't replace Harrison, mustn't replace Dallas, mustn't replace Klich etc.

That imo is the total wrong attitude.

Yes we had a great season, yes many exceeded expectations, but nobody cant be replaced,, none of our squad is the best of the best and totally irreplaceable.

If you can replace a player with a better one for a reasonable fee then you do it.

If a better left winger than Harrison is available who we can sign then you sign them.

if a better cm than Dallas or Klich or both is available and we can sign them then you sign them.

No club should ever go into the transfer market looking for players no better than they already have, that is the epitome of standing still and stagnating.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:59 pm I hear ya, but you have to remember this is only our second season of tv money. We are the paupers of the division along with Brentford. We spent a lot last year and have made a lot of losses in the Championship. We can't just throw money around like there is no tomorrow.

I personally would like to see us use the squad more and the likes of Shackleton, Gelhardt, Greenwood rather than constantly signing players and wasting money. Just because Gallagher is on loan he won't be cheap. Chelski will want a big loan fee and all wages paid.

If its a choice between loaning players from other clubs with no option to buy or using our own kids i would prefer ours.

That being said, for me a quality cm was a priority and it seems we arent going to do it.

Very disappointed.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:36 pm I understand where you are coming from Cjay.

That was my hope to Leon.

:(

Wasnt asking for much.

3 first 11 quality signings would have done.

A left back
left winger
centre midfielder.

But seems that wont be happening.
Signed

King Cjay

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:20 pm That was my hope to Leon.

:(

Wasnt asking for much.

3 first 11 quality signings would have done.

A left back
left winger
centre midfielder.

But seems that wont be happening.
Very disappointing if that's the case. Still hoping, but maybe that's forlorn hope :duno:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

For me I'd wait until anything concrete happened regarding this before reaching for the noose. Just because Chelsea might want a loan doesn't mean we are looking to sign him on loan for example. For me though if Bielsa wants him then I wouldn't argue as Bielsa knows what he needs, what attributes he wants in a player etc. If KP, Klich, Dallas etc had been at other clubs when Bielsa first was appointed I don't think any of us would have been excited if we had been linked with them.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:27 pm Still not keep on developing a Chelsea player in a position we can get cover for.

I have no argument with that, I'd hope we could arrange something but I don't think you can criticize the quality. He breaks up attacks and beats players at will. He's quick and looks to have a good football brain. You can't teach that
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Reading WBA forum , Leeds were interested early last season but Albion chosen as he would get game time etc . Move on a season and now Albion don't particularly rate him , many day a decent championship player or lower table premier side , so if the case then I hope Leeds ambitions are higher than this .Good engine but little product by all accounts , sounds like a squad player at best so assuming that I think Chelsea might look more at palace if it's game time again . Doesn't sound like this move would be a big ambitious move unless Bielsa can coach him into something far better , but then you are at the end of the day doing Chelsea a favour .
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

I don't want Marcelo improving any more players for our competitors.

Having said that, Leeds might feel that having improved the player and there still being no first team path at Chelski, he might agitate for a permanent move.

We just need to trust Victor and Marcelo and hope we've learned lessons from Ben White.