The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 22nd October) Fans left infuriated by Phillips omission

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 22nd October) Fans left infuriated by Phillips omission

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:58 amHopefully...
Surely Forshaw is not more match-fit than Phillips, AF hasn't played a full game since pre-season.

That selection would make no sense whatsoever!
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 22nd October) Fans left infuriated by Phillips omission

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:27 pm KP.

Whilst i understand the fear/annoyance at KP being out (he has veen pretty poor this season anyway).

Must remember that Bielsa said before that KP had been struggling with a hip injury, that i suspect is the reason for this caution.

Bielsa is an idealist, we know that.

It definitely shouldn't Adam Forshaw who was dire vs Southampton as shown by his passing accuracy (only Gelhardt and Summerville did worse).

The man hasnt played for 2 years, he cant be expected to start or even play EPL imo.
KP has been poor this season... 😳
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

DavidH wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:18 am Could well be that Forshaw is penciled in.
Wouldn't surprise me at all, God help us :shock:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:59 am Is it just me getting a bit fed up with life in the PL. So many clubs either just making up numbers or fighting for survival
With the alternative being trips to Cardiff and Millwall, I'll stick with the EPL, at least there's only Burnley doing the thug football, and how they've survived at this level baffles me, I really hope they go down.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

danhirons wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:03 pm I'd rather play with a very unfit kalvin than anybody else in our squad there. We very rarely win without kalvin in that role 😞
Really, playing on most injuries are likely to either make the injury worse or develop a secondary injury due to protecting it.
Often happens to players coming back too early.

The result could be a much longer spell out.

How ever much we rely on certain players injuries are the one thing we need to be patient with.

Can see the Scenario -
MB plays Kalvin because fans think he is ok.

Kalvin aggravates injury putting him out for rest of season.

Same fans blame MB for playing him injured.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Whilst I understand the fear/annoyance at KP being out (he has very pretty poor this season anyway).
No he hasn't Cjay.

According to our player ratings

Highest rated x 2, 2nd x 2, 3rd x 1 in his seven appearances.

One of our better performers according to those on here.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

White Riot wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:07 pm With the alternative being trips to Cardiff and Millwall, I'll stick with the EPL, at least there's only Burnley doing the thug football, and how they've survived at this level baffles me, I really hope they go down.
Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl underestimated ‘long-ball’ Burnley
The Southampton manager has learned there is more to Sean Dyche’s side and is determined not to ‘let them play’ on Saturday

Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl admitted he used to be guilty of thinking Burnley were long-ball merchants but he will not be making that mistake when Sean Dyche’s side visit the south coast on Saturday. The Saints boss said he fell into the trap of believing Burnley were one-dimensional when he first arrived in the Premier League in 2018 but after losing two and drawing one of his first three meetings with Dyche, he soon learned otherwise.
“I have changed my opinion about Burnley in the last two or three years,” he said. “In the beginning I thought they were only a team that kicked long, but if you let them play they can definitely do that, they can press high, they are very brave with their pressing this year and I think they have developed their game. “You can see they play a bit more football. They play in a very direct and forward-orientated way, and the goals they score are typical for them. It’s always good if you can do in what you can do in a perfect way and this can be successful. “We have to be aware of their qualities but we have also shown our qualities, especially last season when we beat them twice. “We have proven we can do it against them and this is the goal for the weekend.”
Burnley will make the long trip south still without a win in the Premier League this weekend – the same position Southampton were in until last weekend’s 1-0 victory over Leeds which lifted them four points clear of both the Clarets and the relegation zone.
“It was important to get the first one, but this is definitely not an argument to lean back now,” Hasenhuttl said. “We have to keep on going, we have the chance for another home game. We know how important these games are for us. “And yes, in the next weeks, we can definitely get a few points which is what we need after a difficult start… “We are coming to a very decisive time where you can show in what direction you should go and therefore we have to be fully motivated and concentrated for this game.”
Che Adams is back in training and in contention to start, but Hasenhuttl could be tempted to stick with the forward pairing of Armando Broja and Nathan Redmond after they combined neatly to get the only goal against Leeds last weekend.

Broja, on loan from Chelsea, was making his first start for the Saints in the absence of Adams, but the 20-year-old look assured as he fired high into the Leeds net.
“Armando had a slow start here but I think he shows very quickly that he has some weapons you can use,” “Because of the injury of Che, it was the first chance for him to start and I think he grabbed this chance with both hands so let’s have a look what we will do at the weekend.”
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Whilst i understand the fear/annoyance at KP being out (he has veen pretty poor this season anyway).

Must remember that Bielsa said before that KP had been struggling with a hip injury, that i suspect is the reason for this caution.

Bielsa is an idealist, we know that.

It definitely shouldn't Adam Forshaw who was dire vs Southampton as shown by his passing accuracy (only Gelhardt and Summerville did worse).

The man hasnt played for 2 years, he cant be expected to start or even play EPL imo.
I think you're a bit harsh on KP Cjay, he always gives 100% and shows he cares and wants to win. Most of the matches this season he's been on his own against a cavalry charge with no help from Klich, Dallas, Roberts, or Rodrigo. He also played most of last season, followed by the full Euros, which must have been ultimately mentally deflating, and then straight onto this season with around 11 days holiday.

If KP ain't fit then he doesn't play, as we will need him long-term this season. I'm still puzzled why he and Raphinha were dragged all the way to Southampton to watch that shower of shite, when MB knew they weren't going to be selected? Absolutely pointless exercise.

If we're counting on Forshaw to pull us out of the mire, we're in way deeper trouble than I had expected. You would think that tweet from Radz was a joke, but seems like he was being serious about Forshaw, and maybe even plans to offer him a new contract in the summer :? I sympathize with Forshaw for what he's had to endure, and applaud his spirit, but that doesn't make him a hero in my eyes, we need players that can contribute and make a difference on the pitch. He did nothing against Southampton, along with most of them. including playing a short free-kick of about 5 yards straight to Southampton :? That's not gonna win us matches.

I just look at him Roberts and Rodrigo, and MB's loyalty to them and feel it's hampering the chances of our young lads making a first team appearance. This could be very damaging to our EPL survival.

I would really like to see MB give Bate and Shacks a go in midfield, but that's probably better occurring when we have KP in there too, otherwise those two will be doing the work of four players, as opposed to KP doing it on his own.

Hee-Chan, Jimenez and Traore will roar through our midfield if it's containing Struijk, Forshaw, Klich, Roberts, so I'm expecting another horror show tomorrow.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

White Riot wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:03 pm
If KP ain't fit then he doesn't play, as we will need him long-term this season. I'm still puzzled why he and Raphinha were dragged all the way to Southampton to watch that shower of shite, when MB knew they weren't going to be selected? Absolutely pointless exercise.
It does look daft although from what I read Raph flew to Southampton rather than Leeds to be assessed that morning.
Personally with that amount of travel I didn't think there was a cat in hells chance of him playing, the club must have thought different.
Kalvin it was said was close and having a fitness test. But the fact he is still injured a week later suggests that was not the case.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:59 am Is it just me getting a bit fed up with life in the PL. So many clubs either just making up numbers or fighting for survival
We knew that before we came up, some of even posted we're playing for 7th as the top prize. The big 6 should have been allowed to play in the ESL but banned from the Premiership OR play a B team and keep the squads separate
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Phillips has been fine when he's played this season, most of or players have to be fair but bad luck and injuries have taken their toll so far. Not that much to worry about really, we have the players to turn it around and plenty of time to do it. In American football we say the best ability is availability and Kalvin will have missed a third of our games if he doesn't play v Wolves..

We'll be saying get rid he's injury prone soon
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:52 pm No he hasn't Cjay.

According to our player ratings

Highest rated x 2, 2nd x 2, 3rd x 1 in his seven appearances.

One of our better performers according to those on here.
That really isnt saying much this season is it?

I think his standards have dropped.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

whiteroseboy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:16 pm Really, playing on most injuries are likely to either make the injury worse or develop a secondary injury due to protecting it.
Often happens to players coming back too early.

The result could be a much longer spell out.

How ever much we rely on certain players injuries are the one thing we need to be patient with.

Can see the Scenario -
MB plays Kalvin because fans think he is ok.

Kalvin aggravates injury putting him out for rest of season.

Same fans blame MB for playing him injured.
I agree but my understanding was that KP was over his injury just not considered bielsa match fit yet...

He's on the bench anyway today so hopefully he's over,his injury! As you say we definitely don't want to make it worse!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Looks like Bielsa 1 Fans 0 yet again ... What a team performance after a kick in the teeth start and Wolves parking the bus
LeeBrook
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LeeBrook »

Let's not paper over the cracks. It was a fantastic result against a team practising the 'Dark Arts' but we struggled to score, having no-one with the quality needed to penetrate a packed defence, and conceded our customary soft goal. Apart from effort there's been no improvement - we can't rely on a 19-year-old.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not seeing any cracks...and I should know
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

LeeBrook wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:56 pm Let's not paper over the cracks. It was a fantastic result against a team practising the 'Dark Arts' but we struggled to score, having no-one with the quality needed to penetrate a packed defence, and conceded our customary soft goal. Apart from effort there's been no improvement - we can't rely on a 19-year-old.
Why can't we rely on a 19 year old? If he's good enough he's old enough.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:38 pm Why can't we rely on a 19 year old? If he's good enough he's old enough.
Think what Lee is saying is its a lot of pressure to put on a 19 year old?

Bamford, Rodrigo, both have really struggled to carry the attacking burden for us with fans back, imo that played a major part in Bamford's form last season (no fans).

Its a major ask to put that pressure on Gelhardt.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:22 pm Looks like Bielsa 1 Fans 0 yet again ... What a team performance after a kick in the teeth start and Wolves parking the bus
Was not a lot good in that team performance for most of the game. Very few chances created of any note throughout. A little bit of magic from gelhardt papered over the cracks as mentioned astutely by somebody else above. Next weekend's game against Norwich will be absolutely crucial now.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Also I would say it's 1 for the fans since it seemed to be the amazing support at ER which really pushed the team forward to get a point...