The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread

Post by Gino 1959 »

The bummer about growing up in Ireland - apart from the wonderfully-euphemistically named "Troubles", the Catholic Church, prudish girls and the constant rain - was the lack of bands coming across. So I missed out on Alex Harvey, BeBop and a host of other heroes. When things quietened down many of these bands had disbanded and/or gone to the Great Gig in the Sky! Others had become bloated corporate whores e.g. The Eagles/Bon Jovi/Springsteen/etc and lost their way. When I got a few quid and was able to travel, I made a few pilgrimages (excluding Lourdes!) outside Ireland to see artists I loved before they joined the aforementioned list of disbanded etc in a kind of things-to-do-before-I-die way. So extreme jealousy at you having seen Sir Bill live, Mr White!
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

I see your favourites are making a pilgrimage to Holmfirth later in the year 64 - i'll probably turn a blind eye myself but anyone who can't get enough of twin lead will surely find hand pulled Landlord and 10 minute solos too much to resist. Perhaps you can get the lads out from Worth Valley :wink:
revie-era
First Team
First Team

Post by revie-era »

white.riot wrote:I see your favourites are making a pilgrimage to Holmfirth later in the year 64 - i'll probably turn a blind eye myself but anyone who can't get enough of twin lead will surely find hand pulled Landlord and 10 minute solos too much to resist. Perhaps you can get the lads out from Worth Valley :wink:
Lets do the full set mate
Black Keys at Leeds
Truckers in M*********
Ash - Holmfirth (I presume)
did you get tickets for The Hod Steady?
Missed out on Porcupine Tree this time (priority elsewhere...)
But hold on,
I do believe the mighty Rush may be here soon.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

revie-era wrote: Lets do the full set mate
Black Keys at Leeds
Truckers in M*********
But hold on,

By the time I realised they were on it was already too late to get Hold Steady tickets for Manchester. Mrs was dead keen as well. I eagerly await your show reports for the rest :wink:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:I see your favourites are making a pilgrimage to Holmfirth later in the year 64 - i'll probably turn a blind eye myself but anyone who can't get enough of twin lead will surely find hand pulled Landlord and 10 minute solos too much to resist. Perhaps you can get the lads out from Worth Valley :wink:
Time was when i was blowin' free i'd have thrown down the sword & this pilgrim would have taken no easy road like the warrior he is to see the magnificent Ash :lol:

Intrigued to know if they are the original line up :?: if only the queen of torture was a fan :( everybody needs a friend !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gino 1959 wrote:The bummer about growing up in Ireland - apart from the wonderfully-euphemistically named "Troubles", the Catholic Church, prudish girls and the constant rain - was the lack of bands coming across. So I missed out on Alex Harvey, BeBop and a host of other heroes. When things quietened down many of these bands had disbanded and/or gone to the Great Gig in the Sky! Others had become bloated corporate whores e.g. The Eagles/Bon Jovi/Springsteen/etc and lost their way. When I got a few quid and was able to travel, I made a few pilgrimages (excluding Lourdes!) outside Ireland to see artists I loved before they joined the aforementioned list of disbanded etc in a kind of things-to-do-before-I-die way. So extreme jealousy at you having seen Sir Bill live, Mr White!
Know the feeling Gino, lived in the East Riding for the last 10 years where culture doesn't exist :shock: can't have everything i suppose, Morrissey made it to Bridlington once 8-) only a 12 miles from our lovely village in the Wolds
1964white

Post by 1964white »

revie-era wrote: Lets do the full set mate
Black Keys at Leeds
Truckers in M*********
But hold on,
I go see them with you mate as oppose to the riot sat at home drinking his fine brews somewhere in the Ribble, although i would have to draw a line with Rush :roll: Oh my god what have done, just alienated most of the posters on here.
Apologies Revie, Barry & all :!:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Blussy HELL!!! Found out yesterday the Jeff Beck is playing our local concert hall on the 11th of November - went to get a ticket today ...SOLD OUT!!!! In frikkin November!! :evil:
Mind you, some decent acts lined up for the rest of the year so far:

Crowded House, Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel and also Marianne Faithful, all playing in June - Fun Lovin Criminals and Buddy Guy both booked for July - Little Feat in August - and Walter Trout in October.
Also a rumour that Ozzie will play a couple of nights here, whilst he is in Denmark for two pop festivals! :-D Fingers X'd!

Just need to rob a bank now, so I can afford all those gigs! :roll:

white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Magnificent bit of prog this I think:

1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:Magnificent bit of prog this I think:

Nice :!: Are they a new prog band :lol:
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote: Nice :!: Are they a new prog band :lol:

They've being going ages and ages and ages . . . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

white.riot wrote:

They've being going ages and ages and ages . . . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
Staying Alive, in fact...well MOST of them have! :twisted:
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

white.riot wrote:
By the time I realised they were on it was already too late to get Hold Steady tickets for Manchester. Mrs was dead keen as well. I eagerly await your show reports for the rest :wink:
Home > Concerts > Hard Rock And Metal > The Hold Steady Tickets > London, UK
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Twiggster wrote:Blussy HELL!!! Found out yesterday the Jeff Beck is playing our local concert hall on the 11th of November - went to get a ticket today ...SOLD OUT!!!! In frikkin November!! :evil:

Crowded House, Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel and also Marianne Faithful, all playing in June - Fun Lovin Criminals and Buddy Guy both booked for July - Little Feat in August - and Walter Trout in October.
Also a rumour that Ozzie will play a couple of nights here, whilst he is in Denmark for two pop festivals! :-D Fingers X'd!

FLC in sept for me, maybe Hawkwind in July If I can be arsed to pay festival prices (Orbital too)
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Twiggster wrote:Blussy HELL!!! Found out yesterday the Jeff Beck is playing our local concert hall on the 11th of November - went to get a ticket today ...SOLD OUT!!!! In frikkin November!! :evil:

Now there's a couple I'd pay to see.

Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Has anyone ever mentioned The Golden Palominos - out comes the vinyl. Anyway Lowell is my hero and here The Palominos nail one of his classics. Saddle up the palomino, the sun is going down. The way I feel, this must be real.

white.riot

Post by white.riot »

faaip wrote: Home > Concerts > Hard Rock And Metal > The Hold Steady Tickets > London, UK
I can't just whizz about the country like you self employed chaps you know :wink:
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

The 'My Building Contractor Did Not Show Tonight As Agreed and I Am P****D Off' Playlist:

[YouTube]

Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

white.riot wrote:
I can't just whizz about the country like you self employed chaps you know :wink:
just amused by the genre they've been slotted into
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

revie-era wrote:After the stripped back blues rock of The Black Keys, tonight I've returned to an old fave from a 1000 years ago.
Played Mike Oldfields's Incantations.
Not someone we've discussed on these pages if I recall. Anyone an Oldfield fan out there.
Personally only bought some of his earlier work on vinyl and not rteplaced them all on CD. Also have The Platinum Collection which has bits from most of his albumns.
Enjoyed some of his more mainstream stuff such as Crime of Passion, Five Miles Out and Moonlight Shadow.

Unsurprisingly, been an Oldfield fan for yonks. One of the great, underrated guitarists - has his own sound, dontcherknow...

Bought 'Music of the Spheres' on sunday - nice...
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...