The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread

Post by barryanorak »

revie-era wrote: Lets do the full set mate
Black Keys at Leeds
Truckers in M*********
Ash - Holmfirth (I presume)
did you get tickets for The Hod Steady?
Missed out on Porcupine Tree this time (priority elsewhere...)
But hold on,
I do believe the mighty Rush may be here soon.

...if Neil can be persuaded to get on a plane again - after all, he's a new Daddy...

(on a separate note, went to see 'Beyond the lighted stage' last night - Twiggs would have loved it :roll: . Really enjoyed it...
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

white.riot wrote:Has anyone ever mentioned The Golden Palominos - out comes the vinyl. Anyway Lowell is my hero and here The Palominos nail one of his classics. Saddle up the palomino, the sun is going down. The way I feel, this must be real.

It had to happen eventually...

Have 'Drunk with Passion' by the Palominos. Love it...mind you, it does feature our old mate Thompson...
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

Whilst on live music...

On monday, I will mostly be going to see Suzanne Vega.

CSA
First Team
First Team

Post by CSA »

barryanorak wrote:Whilst on live music...

On monday, I will mostly be going to see Suzanne Vega.

Bloody hell is she still on the go. Got 'Toms Diner' on 7" vinyl somewhere.
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

CSA wrote:
Bloody hell is she still on the go. Got 'Toms Diner' on 7" vinyl somewhere.

Kind of hoping she is still on the go. If not, I'm wasting my money.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

barryanorak wrote:
Unsurprisingly, been an Oldfield fan for yonks. One of the great, underrated guitarists - has his own sound, dontcherknow...

Bought 'Music of the Spheres' on sunday - nice...
Very cheap on Amazon atm Barry
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

barryanorak wrote:
Unsurprisingly, been an Oldfield fan for yonks. One of the great, underrated guitarists - has his own sound, dontcherknow...

Bought 'Music of the Spheres' on sunday - nice...
Very cheap on Amazon atm Barry
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Gino 1959 wrote:The 'My Building Contractor Did Not Show Tonight As Agreed and I Am P****D Off' Playlist:
]

Is that an explanation or recommendations ? :wink:
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

barryanorak wrote:

It had to happen eventually...

Have 'Drunk with Passion' by the Palominos. Love it...mind you, it does feature our old mate Thompson...
Visions of Excess and Blast of Silence over here! Did some excellent stuff. Used to buy my vinyl from Probe back then - fantastic record shop and home to Half Man Half Biscuit. Still going and still selling (second hand) vinyl but not the force it was - best record shop I knew at one point. Then they discovered skate boards (Rough Trade in Neal's Yard did as well from memory). Made a trip to Liverpool worth while it did. Neal's Yard still the best place to buy a bit of cheese though. Gas mask optional.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Gino 1959 wrote:The 'My Building Contractor Did Not Show Tonight As Agreed and I Am P****D Off' Playlist:

I liked that one! Thanks! :thup:
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

"All respect due to James Brown and his countless disciples for inventing modern music"

Sometimes I think it's worth posting a reminder especially when the likes of faaip miss him off their list of top boys. I know it was an oversight faaip but without Brown there's no George Duke and then where would Zappa be eh?

I hear something like this and ask myself what the heck were the lads in the dorm listening to under their blankets after lights out at Charterhouse. It can't have been much fun whatever it was - prep, suppers ready and an early night with a mythical creature or two. Lads down the road at the local secondary seemed to get all the fun.

Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

white.riot wrote:"All respect due to James Brown and his countless disciples for inventing modern music"

Sometimes I think it's worth posting a reminder especially when the likes of faaip miss him off their list of top boys. I know it was an oversight faaip but without Brown there's no George Duke and then where would Zappa be eh?

I hear something like this and ask myself what the heck were the lads in the dorm listening to under their blankets after lights out at Charterhouse. It can't have been much fun whatever it was - prep, suppers ready and an early night with a mythical creature or two. Lads down the road at the local secondary seemed to get all the fun.
And you slate the prog fans for liking "noodling"....that is absolutely the most boring JB song I ever heard FFS! :roll: Says nothing and goes absolutely nowhere! Noodle noodle noodle on skag.
P.S. I'm a massive JB fan - but that was bedtime for bonzo.
revie-era
First Team
First Team

Post by revie-era »

Twiggster wrote: I liked that one! Thanks! :thup:
My lads got the Breaking Benjamin albumn on constant play in his car.
"you gottal listen to this, old man" he says
Maybe I will, maybe I will.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Twiggster wrote: And you slate the prog fans for liking "noodling"....that is absolutely the most boring JB song I ever heard FFS! :roll: Says nothing and goes absolutely nowhere! Noodle noodle noodle on skag.
P.S. I'm a massive JB fan - but that was bedtime for bonzo.
I believe, although I'm more than happy to be corrected, that that amazing track is the most sampled piece of music of all time. Now I can only lead you to the water, if you refuse to drink that's your choice mate. Brown changed the world of course and saved Boston in 68 during the riots after M L Kings assassination - far bigger impact on music and life than say Zeppelin (who were a money making machine and a double bluff - no singles etc whilst Grant manipulated the market/youth like an earlier version of Max Clifford). Brown sits at the pinnacle of modern music. Anyway I can do no better than quote this:

"The line-up was Richard "Kush" Griffith and Joe Davis on trumpets, Fred Wesley - trombone, Maceo Parker and Eldee Williams on tenor saxophones, Jimmy Nolen - guitar, Charles Sherrell - bass, and the guy responsible for 2,000 sampling songs, Clyde Stubblefield - drummer. Each note, each James Brown phrase is singular and timeless. Those 18 seconds of "give the drummer some" solo by Clyde are the best thing recorded ever! Classic!!!"

Now that doesn't make it good but it does catch the moment for me.

And a massive fan would surely love all JBs music, wouldn't he. In The Jungle Groove is an immense album by the way.

Another riot attempt to generate a bit of interest in black music - by far the most important music recorded in my lifetime - bites the dust eh :shock: I will return - beaten but unbowed. Next up Chic I think :wink:
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

revie-era wrote: My lads got the Breaking Benjamin albumn on constant play in his car.

The singer doesn't sound that old revie - obviously looks after himself :wink:
Vausey
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Vausey »

Legend.
Leeds Fans - You are the reason I got up yesterday. The reason I got up today and the reason I will get up tomorrow

MOT
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

white.riot wrote:"All respect due to James Brown and his countless disciples for inventing modern music"

I see as the sun set last night on Lake Mot, WR cast yet more bait onto the waters. :wink:
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

revie-era wrote: My lads got the Breaking Benjamin albumn on constant play in his car.

never heard of Breaking Benjamin, but that track sounded so familiar
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

white.riot wrote:And a massive fan would surely love all JBs music, wouldn't he.
Surely any fan should be critical when the music is not up to scratch? I love Marillion to death - been with them from day one - but I have one CD to which I never listen because it was weak in isolation and in comparison to everything else. Still love 'em.

Just like I do Leeds even when the performance is below what I expect on occasion!
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Vausey wrote:

Legend.

The man who (arguably) invented soul can be described as nothing other than a legend and that is a magnificent track.