The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
revie-era
First Team
First Team

Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread

Post by revie-era »

Gotta have Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Beefhart. Did I see Santana in there?
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Severe absence of modern prog - Sylvan, RPWL, Riverside, Satellite, Porcupine Tree and more - or where these all originally in the musical equivalent of the Oceanic Group and knocked out after a play-off with one of the 'big boys'???
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

It's a jumping on point, Paul and I will refine the list over the next couple of days I expect and whilst it'll never be perfect, we'll get someway towards a reasonable line up, but I'd rather keep it to groups of sixteen,
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote: So are Wishbone Ash, they are bigger & more successful than MC5 & that applies with quite a few of the other bands on that list, let's face it Ash had 6 top 30 albums including a top 3 with Argus. One of the hardest working bands over the years, they sold out most of their concerts during the 70's

Can't believe they have been omitted from the list in the first place

I do like MC5 btw
:shock: :fish1:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote: :shock: :fish1:
You know i'm right that makes a change for me :lol:
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

I'm surprised you tried to compare Ash with the guys who invented punk. But you did so there you have it. I still don't understand why though when there's some right plonkers on offer who Ash may actually be better than. And, in the annals of pop history I doubt you will find Ash listed under 'influential'. Still if 'more commercial' means bigger you win. VU/Beefheart beware Ash are coming to get ya . . . . :shoot:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:I'm surprised you tried to compare Ash with the guys who invented punk. But you did so there you have it. I still don't understand why though when there's some right plonkers on offer who Ash may actually be better than. And, in the annals of pop history I doubt you will find Ash listed under 'influential'. Still if 'more commercial' means bigger you win. VU/Beefheart beware Ash are coming to get ya . . . . :shoot:
You are a Wishbone fan or were..... :?: they have to go down as one of the best British guitar bands of the early 70's or have we lost touch with the bands we use to buy & adore :roll:

So if we are talking influential you may as well take most of those bands on that Faaip post out of the equasion :!:

Doesn't really matter as we know the type of artist who will will the World Cup music poll :?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Anyway more important things on the agenda, '64 playlist

Had a world music day on Thursday;

Los Lobos - Collection
Rachid Taha - Diwan
Radio Tarifa - Temporal
Tinariwen - Aman Iman
Various Artists - Barrio Nuevo
Various Artists - Mali Music
Various Artists - Nigeria 70

There you go, refreshing, lovely music whilst i work :thup:
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote: You are a Wishbone fan or were..... :?: they have to go down as one of the best British guitar bands of the early 70's or have we lost touch with the bands we use to buy & adore :roll:

So if we are talking influential you may as well take most of those bands on that Faaip post out of the equasion :!:

Doesn't really matter as we know the type of artist who will will the World Cup music poll :?
The world cup is multi cultural - the only true black music here is Bob Marley I reckon. Hendrix played the white derivative of black music just like the rest.

As for the modern list - black music is bigger than anything these days. Where's Outkast/Fugees/Destiny's Child/Black Eyed Peas to name but four? I'm no expert but there must be lot's of deserving candidates.

By the way the finest group post summer of love and pre Punk was Little Feat as you well know 64. I can't spot 'em. And the most talented group of any generation are Los Lobos (as you now acknowledge I think :wink: ). Can't see the finest band outa East LA on the list. I may throw my toys out of the attic :lol:

And where's Hegarty - he's a band :shoot: Gw won't be happy either - Bellowhead have slipped through the net :?

Good luck to all the candidates though and to England. I'm a little excited by the prospect of tonight's game. Rooney plays to his potential and all will be well. He doesn't it will be hoofball to Crouch. Enthralling.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Friday/Saturday's playlist

Madlib - Blunted In The Bomb Shelter Mix

Howe Gelb - Ogle Some Piano

Palace Brothers - Days In The Water

Tortoise/Bonnie "Prince" Billy - The Brave & The Bold

& a whole wad of cd's that GW sent me, only played two of them - cheers Martyn, very much appreciated :)

Caravan - If i Could Do It All Over Again.... sits well on my shelves with the 3 other Caravan's

Egg - The Polite Force..... amazing i heard the first tune on this album many moons ago & never knew the name of the
band & It turns up on my doorstep decades later - wow :!:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

faaip wrote:ok world cup has arrived so we'll take this opportunity to run PaulUSA world cup of bands polls. Now Paul has suggested we run this in the general chat area with the polls having separate threads, I'm personally of the view that we could post a link in GC and run this here to coincide with the four weeks of the world cup

Paul has suggested 8 groups of 16 as below but admits there maybe obvious or notable misses so if the pollster could run there beady eye down Paul' list and suggest amendments, they will be taken under consideration.

I suggest we run 4 groups for a week voting for a top 3 or 5, the remaining four groups in week 2 , then playoffs incorporating last 16, Quarters, Semis and Final over the final two weeks

Below are the nominated bands (remember these are open to discussion over the next couple of days or so )

Group A
Animals; Beach Boys; Beatles; Bob Dylan/Band; Buffalo Springfield; Byrds; Cream; Deep Purple; Doors; Kinks; Rolling Stones; Small Faces; Spencer Davis Group; the Who; Velvet Underground; Yardbirds.

Group B
Bad Company; Black Sabbath; David Bowie/Spiders; Rod Stewart/Faces; Free; J. Geils Band; Jeff Beck Band; Jimi Hendrix; Led Zeppelin; Lynyrd Skynyrd; Mott the Hoople; T. Rex; Slade; Spirit; Stooges; Traffic.

Group C
Allman Bros.; Boston; Creedence Clearwater Revival; Crosby, Stills & Nash; Eagles; Fleetwood Mac; Grateful Dead; Journey; Bob Marley/Wailers; Santana; Steely Dan; Steve Miller Band; Bruce Springsteen/E St. Band; Tom Petty/Heartbreakers; Neil Young/Crazy Horse; ZZ Top.

Group D
Cure; Dire Straits; Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Fairport Convention; Foreigner; Genesis; Jam; Jethro Tull; Joy Division; King Crimson; Moody Blues; Pink Floyd; Queen; Roxy Music; Supertramp; Yes.

Group E
AC/DC; Aerosmith; Bon Jovi; Cheap Trick; Duran Duran; English Beat; Guns N Roses; Heart; Iron Maiden; Kiss; Metallica; Ramones; Rush; Sex Pistols; Specials; Van Halen.

Group F
Black Flag; Buzzcocks; Cars; Clash; Elvis Costello/Attractions; Damned; Fall; New Order; Pogues; Police; Pretenders; REM; Smiths; Squeeze; Talking Heads; U2.

Group G
Black Crowes; Blur; Dave Matthews Band; Foo Fighters; Jesus and Mary Chain; Nine Inch Nails; Nirvana; Pixies; Pearl Jam; Rage Against the Machine; Smashing Pumpkins; Soundgarden; Stone Temple Pilots; Sublime; Teenage Fanclub; Violent Femmes.

Group H
Alice in Chains; Arctic Monkeys; Coldplay; Flaming Lips; Green Day; Happy Mondays; Killers; Libertines; Muse; Oasis; Radiohead; Red Hot Chili Peppers; Stone Roses; Strokes; Weezer; White Stripes.

Paul, I've already removed the Offspring and inserted The Pixies instead, and I'll come up with other possible alterations as well soon

Paul also gave us some missed band in Soul Asylum, Collective Soul, Keane, Third Eye Blind, Tragically Hip, Live, Cranberries, Big Brother & Holding Company and Jefferson Airplane ( A couple of whom have escaped me completely) and there is little from the current century, so if we could squeeze in some of those it would provide balance

I'd like to kick this off Monday, so lets see how it goes
I'm confused.

But don't worry - It is now a regular occurrence.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
becchio bear
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

I'm confused as well Gandalf :? Don't forget Living End faaip :roll: :bear:
I'm going back to 505
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

1964white wrote:Friday/Saturday's playlist

Madlib - Blunted In The Bomb Shelter Mix

Howe Gelb - Ogle Some Piano

Palace Brothers - Days In The Water

Tortoise/Bonnie "Prince" Billy - The Brave & The Bold

& a whole wad of cd's that GW sent me, only played two of them - cheers Martyn, very much appreciated :)

Caravan - If i Could Do It All Over Again.... sits well on my shelves with the 3 other Caravan's

Egg - The Polite Force..... amazing i heard the first tune on this album many moons ago & never knew the name of the
band & It turns up on my doorstep decades later - wow :!:
I sent the Caravan because you asked for suggested Caravan albums a couple of weeks back. Took a flier on Egg.

I'd be interested to hear what you make of Tanglewood 63 - one of the most joyful jazz-rock fusion albums of all time I reckon.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Guildford White wrote: I sent the Caravan because you asked for suggested Caravan albums a couple of weeks back. Took a flier on Egg.

I'd be interested to hear what you make of Tanglewood 63 - one of the most joyful jazz-rock fusion albums of all time I reckon.
Will let you know in due course - enjoyed the Gabarek cd's in the car last week :)
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

A bit of music to drown out the Vuvuselas.

Someone mentioned Mike Oldfield earlier in the thread, and although not a huge fan, I do enjoy this track he did with Roger Chapman.

http://www.claryanweb.net/music/Shadow_On_The_Wall.mp3

Also the best version of Shine On .. that I have ever heard. The last peformance of the late, lamented Rick Wright, and some great saxophone from Dick Parry

http://www.claryanweb.net/music/Shine_O ... iamond.mp3

Plus one of Twiggs favourites. If you want cheering up listen to a Sweet B side.

http://www.claryanweb.net/music/Burn_On_The_Flame.mp3

As always, if you want to keep a copy, right click on the link and Save Link As.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Originally released in 1969 - just think we were listening to the first Yes album while this lot were playing a steamy club somewhere :wink:

Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Gandalf wrote:A bit of music to drown out the Vuvuselas.

S
Plus one of Twiggs favourites. If you want cheering up listen to a Sweet B side.

http://www.claryanweb.net/music/Burn_On_The_Flame.mp3

As always, if you want to keep a copy, right click on the link and Save Link As.
LOVE the tip of the hat to Black sabbaff, at the end of that song, Gandy! :lol:

Shame everyone knows Sweet just for their pop chart successes...loudest and heaviest band I ever saw live!
I wonder who influenced Queen? :sing:

And oooh YESSS!

fukk1n ace!!!

white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Twiggster wrote: LOVE the tip of the hat to Black sabbaff, at the end of that song, Gandy! :lol:

Shame everyone knows Sweet just for their pop chart successes...loudest and heaviest band I ever saw live!
I wonder who influenced Queen? :sing:

And oooh YESSS!

fukk1n ace!!!

Sorry but you can't get away with that night after night. It has to stop now. Their 'B' sides were nowhere near as good as their A sides nor were they as good as owt much else on offer at the time which is why they couldn't make it without chinny/chap. Cowell/Morgan/Holden would have buzzed long before the end of a song I'm afraid and that's what they sound like - a club turn. Seen much better in the Belle Isle WMC. A sides excellent - B sides club turn.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

WR - you ever seen them live? I have and believe me, they were up there with Sabbaff, LedZep and Black Widow, as the heaviest of rockbands around at the time.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Twiggster wrote:WR - you ever seen them live? I have and believe me, they were up there with Sabbaff, LedZep and Black Widow, as the heaviest of rockbands around at the time.
I did Billy boy, they were just a poor man's Deep Purple :?