Ask The Gaffer....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
markolufc
First Team
First Team

Re: Ask The Gaffer....

Post by markolufc »

white.riot wrote:
I feel the ground shift under my feet yet again. I have learnt to believe in shape shifters :roflmao:
I'm not sure what on earth you mean by that. It's simply facts. We had a great team, missing a few decent squad players and a few decent defenders and what happened? instead of making the finishing touches, bates sold the lot. Then we were terrible for last season. What's so hard to understand about that?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:
Grayson must have been a genius to get us on the edge of the play offs as we mullered QPR and took WHU to the wire amongst other fine results.
You are clutching at straws mate by picking certain games. Edge of the play-offs...when Grayson was fired we were 3 or 4 points adrift & all the teams above us had 2 or 3 games in hand on us so the table was extremely mis-leading. His downfall was failing to put a pool of players together who could defend, unfortuately Larry never got the idea of defending hence the batterings we endured v Southampton, Scum, Blackpool, Brum, Barnsley plus many other games where we never looked like winning. Yes the WORST season ever & a complete write off for me !
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote:
You are clutching at straws mate by picking certain games. Edge of the play-offs...when Grayson was fired we were 3 or 4 points adrift & all the teams above us had 2 or 3 games in hand on us so the table was extremely mis-leading. His downfall was failing to put a pool of players together who could defend, unfortuately Larry never got the idea of defending hence the batterings we endured v Southampton, Scum, Blackpool, Brum, Barnsley plus many other games where we never looked like winning. Yes the WORST season ever & a complete write off for me !
It certainly ended up that way and yet I'm doing my best to forgive Warnock.

All around us fell apart as we imploded missing a golden opportunity. I suppose everyone deserves a second chance ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:
In Warnock's first five games we condeded 2 goals v Pompey, Southampton, West Ham, Hull, Boro & then we had the 7-3 thumping that knocked all the condidence out of the players & Warnock too !
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote:
In Warnock's first five games we condeded 2 goals v Pompey, Southampton, West Ham, Hull, Boro & then we had the 7-3 thumping that knocked all the condidence out of the players & Warnock too !
Said after the Pompey game Colin should have gone for the 3 points against a totally broken and wrecked Pompey side. Instead he played his usual game strangling football missing out on the new manager dividend as a result. Neither he nor we ever recovered as we slid towards the foot of the league with Warnock's excuses ringing in our ears. I think you called this 'progress' at the time :lol:

Even now Colin's win rate is no more than about 29% I believe. Draws were no good.
Last edited by white.riot on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Ask The Gaffer....

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

By way is there a dress code for this Tom night??
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Yes 64, Ipswich went down to 10 men as a result of getting nervy and the constant Leeds pressure which panicked them into making mistakes (such as the keeper handling outside the box to get sent off).

That is what pressure does. Like I said first half our fans made Leeds nervy, second half they made Ipwich nervy.

Marko your analogy using the shop is totally pointless as people can simply choose a different shop and a different brand. Under those circumstances cos Leeds are playing poorly you'd just toddle off to support Man City.

A better analogy would be that you are going along to watch your child compete at sports day. You're not overly happy with the school though at the moment, they seem to be frittering away funds on repairing the dilapidated classrooms and the headmaster drives a jag and you think they don't have the best sports equipment. As such when your child picks up the pole vault and starts their run up instead of you cheering them on you start gobbing off loudly about the school.

Does this inspire your child to try its best?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:

All around us fell apart as we imploded missing a golden opportunity. I suppose everyone deserves a second chance ?
Well i for one am prepared to give NW my support. I've enjoyed the season so far, we're scoring goals & defending much better plus the atmosphere has improved somewhat, you can't ask for more than that. Good entertainment !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Yes 64, Ipswich went down to 10 men as a result of getting nervy and the constant Leeds pressure which panicked them into making mistakes (such as the keeper handling outside the box to get sent off).

That is what pressure does. Like I said first half our fans made Leeds nervy, second half they made Ipwich nervy.

Marko your analogy using the shop is totally pointless as people can simply choose a different shop and a different brand. Under those circumstances cos Leeds are playing poorly you'd just toddle off to support Man City.

A better analogy would be that you are going along to watch your child compete at sports day. You're not overly happy with the school though at the moment, they seem to be frittering away funds on repairing the dilapidated classrooms and the headmaster drives a jag and you think they don't have the best sports equipment. As such when your child picks up the pole vault and starts their run up instead of you cheering them on you start gobbing off loudly about the school.

Point taken Weasel :tup:
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote:
Well i for one am prepared to give NW my support. I've enjoyed the season so far, we're scoring goals & defending much better plus the atmosphere has improved somewhat, you can't ask for more than that. Good entertainment !
Are you ignoring our league games when you say good entertainment mate ?
markolufc
First Team
First Team

Post by markolufc »

weasel wrote:Yes 64, Ipswich went down to 10 men as a result of getting nervy and the constant Leeds pressure which panicked them into making mistakes (such as the keeper handling outside the box to get sent off).

I wouldn't have to pay £31 a pop to support my child, and I don't equate a football club to a child. A child is way more important than a football club. A football club is simply a source of entertainment. If I'm not getting that entertainment I'm not getting the service I'm paying for. I consider the service I am paying for to be a fantastic atmosphere and a feeling of everybody working towards the same cause. With bates in charge that's simply not true as his interests are different to the clubs and it's showing on the pitch, game after game.

There's nothing you can say to make it anything other than paying for an entertainment service. That is all it is. That's all it will ever be. The prices we pay to watch football ensure that. Maybe one day a long time ago before I was old enough to be interested, watching football was cheap enough that you did it through thick and thin regardless of what's happening and regardless of whether or not the money is being spent to better the football club, but not today, not in my lifetime.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jeez Marko if you fell into a pit of needles you'd still completely miss the point.

When in the ground the fans need to get behind the team as much as they can. Leave the Bates out stuff until after the game.

Whether or not you agree with the chairman, manager, tea lady, players etc there are 11 players out there wearing white and they will play better if the crowd supports them.

I believe it was Shankly who said that the key to away matches was to silence the crowd. That said I don't know how well he did on Championship Manager.
markolufc
First Team
First Team

Post by markolufc »

weasel wrote:Jeez Marko if you fell into a pit of needles you'd still completely miss the point.

When in the ground the fans need to get behind the team as much as they can. Leave the Bates out stuff until after the game.

Whether or not you agree with the chairman, manager, tea lady, players etc there are 11 players out there wearing white and they will play better if the crowd supports them.

I believe it was Shankly who said that the key to away matches was to silence the crowd. That said I don't know how well he did on Championship Manager.
You're missing the point that you're not going to stop people from doing it just because you tell them to. They are unhappy and are merely expressing that unhappiness. It won't go away until bates is gone. Simples.
hector

Post by hector »

Kuddly Ken is a business man...

He is not here for the football, just as he wasn't at Chavski..

He is here to make money... We can all scream and shout at him all match long, it wont make a hapeth of difference..

He will sign on the dotted line when it is right for his pocket.... Not the club....not the manager... and most certainly NOT a bunch of "morons" who pay the money to watch the football.....

Ironically if we cheer the team on.... they play better...... they start to win...... Ken holds out for more money...

We screech for Bates Out... the team play bad..... they start to lose.... nobody wants to pay for a losing team... Ken holds out for more money...

hmmm

Let's just cheer the lads on... and let the high business side sort itself out....
markolufc
First Team
First Team

Post by markolufc »

hector wrote:Kuddly Ken is a business man...

He is not here for the football, just as he wasn't at Chavski..

He is here to make money... We can all scream and shout at him all match long, it wont make a hapeth of difference..

He will sign on the dotted line when it is right for his pocket.... Not the club....not the manager... and most certainly NOT a bunch of "morons" who pay the money to watch the football.....

Ironically if we cheer the team on.... they play better...... they start to win...... Ken holds out for more money...

We screech for Bates Out... the team play bad..... they start to lose.... nobody wants to pay for a losing team... Ken holds out for more money...

hmmm

Let's just cheer the lads on... and let the high business side sort itself out....
However, if everyone did what some on here are suggesting, forget about ken, ignore all that and just go watch the games regardless, stop boycotting and stop calling for his head, then the club would still be financially viable for him and he'd be staying.

Who on earth here thinks that ken is selling up for any other reason than ownership of Leeds is no longer profitable for him? Why is it no longer profitable? Because fans refuse to go to games and refuse to pay for any of the extras that come with supporting the club.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it, you can only really start judging Warnock this season now that he has had time to bring his own players in. You could send Mourinho to Crystal Palace and he wouldn't be able to instantly make them top of the league candidates. He would need time.

As for Bates, you may say to boycott games and boo during any we do go to, I may say to cheer the team and ignore Bates. You know sweet f.a. about the situation. I know sweet f.a. about the situation. You can no nothing to change the situation. I can do nothing to change the situation. Arguing over who is right and who is wrong is as futile as trying to change the situation.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
markolufc
First Team
First Team

Post by markolufc »

theleedsmango wrote:I've said it before, and I'll repeat it, you can only really start judging Warnock this season now that he has had time to bring his own players in. You could send Mourinho to Crystal Palace and he wouldn't be able to instantly make them top of the league candidates. He would need time.

As for Bates, you may say to boycott games and boo during any we do go to, I may say to cheer the team and ignore Bates. You know sweet f.a. about the situation. I know sweet f.a. about the situation. You can no nothing to change the situation. I can do nothing to change the situation. Arguing over who is right and who is wrong is as futile as trying to change the situation.
Well I'm not condescending to anybody for going to games and continuing to support the team as much as possible, I am simply asking that others do not condescend to those who believe their time and money is better spent elsewhere.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

markolufc wrote:
However, if everyone did what some on here are suggesting, forget about ken, ignore all that and just go watch the games regardless, stop boycotting and stop calling for his head, then the club would still be financially viable for him and he'd be staying.

Who on earth here thinks that ken is selling up for any other reason than ownership of Leeds is no longer profitable for him? Why is it no longer profitable? Because fans refuse to go to games and refuse to pay for any of the extras that come with supporting the club.
Which brings us back to the real point. You boycotters and shouters are making it more difficult for lufc management to succeed and taking the pleasure out of what should be entertainent, something to take your mind off work and whatever else gets in the way of a long and happy life. You are prepared to make us suffer because you know what's best for us. You want to boycott that's fine, unhelpful but fine, but ruining the match day experience is totally out of order. Listen to Colin not the pseudo politicians on waccoe and elsewhere.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

white.riot wrote:You want to boycott that's fine, unhelpful but fine, but ruining the match day experience is totally out of order. Listen to Colin not the pseudo politicians on waccoe and elsewhere.
Amen. :tup:
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

markolufc wrote:

The thing is though that if the team does well the club is worth more and as such Bates is much more likely to sell as it gets the biggest profit.

The flip side is that if the team does sh*t, the attendances plummet then Bates has to sell players to balance the books. The team then continues to decline, the value is such that Bates won't sell the club and perhaps eventually it becomes worth so little that he simply sells up and they build a new supermarket on Elland Road.

The club will always be profitable to Kenneth as long as there are players to sell. Falling attendances simply mean that to keep the club profitable players have to be sold and the money used to pay Ken's wages rather than buy new players.

Shouting abuse at Ken will achieve nothing. He cares not if he is the most hated man in the world. All he cares about is making as much money as he can with as little financial risk as possible. Hence he will give the manager a budget according to how much the club can afford - he will not invest his own money simply a percentage of the profit the club makes. If the falling attendances means the club makes a £2m loss before transfers then he will take £2m out of the transfer income. Simple.

So basically the best way to get rid of Ken is to cheer the club to the rafters and make us as attractive as possible to a buyer. Yes the downside is Ken gets richer but the alternative is sliding down the leagues.