Leeds v Derby - Reports/Ratings Inc the Full Match

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Re: Leeds v Derby - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by gessa »

Shields53 wrote:Hard to pick a man of the match; Hernandez, Roofe, Vieira, Coyle, Bartley, Bridcutt?!?! Who?!!
Very difficult

Hernandez - pulls the strings, we haven't had anyone anywhere near as good at putting the ball in the box from set pieces and corners since I don't know when.
Roofe - Best game for us that I've seen tonight, tireless display, so much running off the ball, taking defenders out of the game.
Vieira - Hard to believe he's only 18, McClaren full of praise for him after the game, on a few occasions he was played the ball in very tight situations, couldn't believe how he came away with the ball with such ease, broke up so many moves too.
Bridcutt - Does all the necessary dirty work, mopping up the loose balls and puts his foot in where it hurts.
Coyle - An excellent game from the lad both defensively and going forward, hard to believe he's only had 45 minutes of competitive football since his injury.
Bartley - Commanded the back 4, a true leader on the pitch, looks composed on the ball too, a goal would have been the icing on the cake.
Ayling- Didn't look out of place at CB.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote:Very difficult

Hernandez - pulls the strings, we haven't had anyone anywhere near as good at putting the ball in the box from set pieces and corners since I don't know when.
Roofe - Best game for us that I've seen tonight, tireless display, so much running off the ball, taking defenders out of the game.
Vieira - Hard to believe he's only 18, McClaren full of praise for him after the game, on a few occasions he was played the ball in very tight situations, couldn't believe how he came away with the ball with such ease, broke up so many moves too.
Bridcutt - Does all the necessary dirty work, mopping up the loose balls and puts his foot in where it hurts.
Coyle - An excellent game from the lad both defensively and going forward, hard to believe he's only had 45 minutes of competitive football since his injury.
Bartley - Commanded the back 4, a true leader on the pitch, looks composed on the ball too, a goal would have been the icing on the cake.
Ayling- Didn't look out of place at CB.

Best I've seen Ayling play, knowing he was going to play CB all week probably helped. I think we have 4 CB of good enough quality to say we're set. If you can find anyone better to come in and be better than Cooper at CB as our number 3/4 then good luck. I would look to the lower leagues and find a youngster to bring on then fine.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote:Best I've seen Ayling play, knowing he was going to play CB all week probably helped. I think we have 4 CB of good enough quality to say we're set. If you can find anyone better to come in and be better than Cooper at CB as our number 3/4 then good luck. I would look to the lower leagues and find a youngster to bring on then fine.
It will all depend on the Bartley situation at the end of the season, will Swansea let him go now.
Have a feeling, he's not a bloke to mince his words and will probably tell them where to go.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

An absolute joy to be inside (Fortress) Elland Road tonight to watch what can only be described as a 1-0 hammering to make it 5 straight wins without conceding at home.
Every player gave everything from first to final whistle and the crowd responded to create a fantastic atmosphere. Derby had a ten minute spell at the start of the second half but the crowd started :shirt: :shirt: :shirt: and upped the volume and the players responded and pressured Derby again and again, brilliant night and each game seems to surpass the last, what a time to be a Leeds fan. Really hard to pick a MOTM as they all played so well, the back four we were all worried about looked rock solid, Ayling looked natural at CB and Coyle came in like a seasoned campaigner at RB. I'll sleep well tonight knowing we're well and truly in the thick of it and closing down the top two. :-D
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:
1-0 Wood Norm by the way

Well done mate, you’re becoming a great “seer”, or maybe you always were.
faaip wrote:
Roofe is going to be big for us second half of the season...
I believe you – see above

I so much wish I could have watched that from what you all have said. It sounded like it was a joy to watch.

Our man Monk needs a new contract Mr. Radrizzani sir
gessa

Post by gessa »

Norm wrote:Well done mate, you’re becoming a great “seer”, or maybe you always were.

I believe you – see above

I so much wish I could have watched that from what you all have said. It sounded like it was a joy to watch.

Our man Monk needs a new contract Mr. Radrizzani sir
Vieira too
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Wow !

I'm still buzzing as i head off to bed :sleep2:

Report in the morning folks :-D
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Wow! I'm just gonna echo what everyone else has said, great comments from all, except maybe....a 10 for Wood, cmon faaip, you know he deserves it...we wouldn't be where we are without the big man's goals....: )
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EirikOstrem

Post by MeeTa »

Quite possibly the best performance I've seen Leeds do since our prem days. Maybe im forgetting some awesome other performances, anywho this ranks right up there among the best. just wow
Charity Shield 69
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Charity Shield 69 »

Impressive full match performance from all accounts. Regrettable slept in and only caught final 20 or so mins on TV. Would have loved to see Vieira score at the end to cap it off.

The tight scoreline probably ensured that the team kept at it right to the FT whistle - had a deserved 3-0 HT lead ensued the 2nd half might have lacked the gripping entertainment produced by the close score.

Particularly pleasing is the apparent depth in the squad and the number of players who can turn in consistently strong performances.

Vieira & Pablo are little gems in their individual ways.

Cheers,
CS69
Cheers,
CS69
Charity Shield 69
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Charity Shield 69 »

Impressive full match performance from all accounts. Regrettable slept in and only caught final 20 or so mins on TV. Would have loved to see Vieira score at the end to cap it off.

The tight scoreline probably ensured that the team kept at it right to the FT whistle - had a deserved 3-0 HT lead ensued the 2nd half might have lacked the gripping entertainment produced by the close score.

Particularly pleasing is the apparent depth in the squad and the number of players who can turn in consistently strong performances.

Vieira & Pablo are little gems in their individual ways.

Cheers,
CS69
Cheers,
CS69
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Was truly an awesome performance last night and everybody played their part.

First of all huge credit has to go to Monk. I dare say most of us would have dropped Doukara after his awful performance on Monday but he was really up for it and some of his close control and strength was unbelievable - Doukara is without a shadow of doubt a 'confidence' player and the confidence he has got from Monk's trust in him is showing. Monk also got the team firing despite 2 woeful first half performances in the last 2 games and despite the forced changes - it would have been very easy for the players to go out and have been looking to settle for a draw like most of us were prior to the match. Monk totally destroyed the former England manager, McClaren, with the tactics and high tempo football and, like in his Middlesborough UEFA Cup run (which earned him the England job) all McClaren could do was throw substitutions on rather than being able to out-think Monk by tactics - loved the camera panning to McClaren in the first half as he sat in the crowd, on his phone to Powell (assistant manager on the touchline) with his mini tactics board in his hands complete with magnetic coloured discs to represent players. Monk has consistently made half time changes when Leeds have played badly in the first half but this match also showed that he is capable of making the required changes when we play a team second time round as we were fairly poor when we lost to Derby earlier on in the season.

On to the team and the most pleasing thing is when picking a man of the match it is easy to pick someone, for example Hernandez who bamboozled Derby all night, but then you think what about Vieira who bossed the midfield and seemed to pick up every second ball and emerge with the ball when seemingly crowded out, but then you think 'hold on a minute what about' and you could do this throughout the whole team,

Green - Made 2 crucial saves, 1 at 0-0 and the second just after we had gone 1-0 up. His performances are improving match by match as he has got over the rustiness and has made key saves in many matches now. A couple of poor kicks were the only blemish but in fairness for some reason he had to make a lot of kicks so probably 90% of kicks were good - I attach no blame for the kick which Bent charged down with his hand as it was actually a decent kick but just good pressure from Bent and the only alternative to kicking would have been to try to control the ball and dribble past Bent which would probably have ended in disaster.

Coyle - Unbelievable performance given he is just back from a long lay-off. Excellent defensively and going forward and his perfectly timed block tackle prevented Derby from a probable equaliser, superbly timed.

Berardi - Had a tough time against Ince and did get turned inside out a couple of times - I don't think it would have happened quite as easily if he had been playing at right back - but gradually got on top of his man and won the battle. Unlucky not to score too.

Bartley - Excellent and composed defensively and a threat at every set play, unlucky not to score.

Ayling - Because of how well the team played he wasn't examined too much defensively but mopped up everything well and read the game well and certainly didn't look out of place. Only moment of concern was that he got turned inside out alongside Berardi when Derby nearly scored.

Bridcutt - In the right place so many times to get his foot in and win back possession and then keeps things neat and tidy. Brings a calmness to the midfield that has been lacking for years.

Vieira - Unbelievable play at times as he always seem to emerge from situations with the ball when he had no right to. Some of the tricks he produced were unbelievable but done at the right times. Occasionally sloppy in possession trying the glory ball, but if those balls start coming off what a player he will be. Should have scored at the end but was probably dead on his feet.

Hernandez - So composed and so any tricks up his sleeve that he bamboozled Derby all night. Must give his team mates so much confidence to see him destroying players with his ability. A couple of times his final ball could have been better but, like Coyle, amazing performance given he has only just got back from injury. Frustrated Derby so much that all they could do was resort to fouling him, Bryson should have been sent off for a disgusting punch and Bradley Johnson was booked for scything him down.

Doukara - Amazing contrast to the awful Cambridge performance where he was rightly subbed off. Strength, ball control and work rate were superb. Should have scored but fully justified Monk's decision to play him.

Roofe - A livewire all night and his switching with Hernandez had Derby flummoxed. Could have done better with a couple of shots.

Wood- Bizarrely given Leeds domination chances just wouldn't fall his way. Took the only chance he got with a superb header and worked his socks off.

As for Derby they were completely outplayed and should have had 3 players sent off. Bryant with a disgusting sly punch on Hernandez (was great to see Wood give him some of his own medicine a couple of minutes later), Ince for a blatant, petulant, kick out at Bridcutt directly in front of the ref who bottled the decision and Bradley Johnson who was actually sent off for 2 bookings but could have been sent off for 2 bookings long before the 89th minute.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Decided to let the dust settle on that performance before posting, as I was more than a little giddy after the match! For me, that's the best display I've seen from a Leeds side in the last 15 years. Every player played a part and, bar a 10 minute spell at the start of the second half, we destroyed Derby. So many contenders for MOTM, Monk got it absolutely spot on with his selection and tactics. Made McLaren look like the brolly wally he is!!

Up until last night, I had been wary of getting too carried away with where our season can go. But there's a touch of the O'Leary vintage to this side, and I feel we are now genuine title contenders. There will be bumps in the road, but Monk has instilled a belief and togetherness in this squad that can carry us a long way. Good times to be a Leeds fan!!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Not only the best performance of the season but the best since our premiership days, all achieved with three RB's in our defence with Ayling playing out of his natural position & Pontus, Taylor, Sacko & Cooper unavailable for selection.
Still buzzing after walking out of ER over 16 hours ago !

8 Green - a couple of good saves, some woeful kicking
9 Coyle - great comeback from young Lewie
8 Ayling - didn't look out of place playing CB
9 Bartley - a real leader at the back
8 Berardi - solid as ever, wish his shot had hit the back of the net
9 Bridcutt - back to his best, massive influence on the the young lads around him
10 Vieira - unbelievable for one so young, give me Ronaldo over Cook anyday
9 Roofe - never stopped running, his best game for Leeds
8 Doukara - well done to Monk for giving Souleymane another chance after his shambolic display at Cambridge, powerful hard working performance
10 Hernandez - the new Strachan, full of tricks who makes us tick. Sheer class!
9 Wood - great header for the goal, led the line well up top

10 Monk - doesn't matter what team he puts out, Garry has the magic touch
10 Team - so much quality, strength & togetherness
10 Leeds fans - one of the best atmospheres I've witnessed at ER in a long time....scarves aloft to waccoe, magic hat & all that :-D

4 Referee - missed a blatant penalty & should have shown the red card to two other Derby players as well as Johnson
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: 10 Leeds fans - one of the best atmospheres I've witnessed at ER in a long time....scarves aloft to waccoe, magic hat & all that :-D
I have made the point a few times about how important the atmosphere is at ER and how at the end of Grayson's reign, and more recently with the Massimo Out people, the fans seemed to almost be working against the best interests of the team. Several people responded along the lines of them 'being allowed to have a go' etc but last night showed how much difference fans supporting the team and being united is. The fans wholeheartedly helped the team through that sticky 10 minutes at the start of the second half and were a vital part of the success.

I was also delighted with the way the fans were against Rotherham as in recent years they would have got on the players back after the woeful first half performance and made it harder for the team to start playing with confidence - instead the fans supported and the team responded.

I have never understood fans spending hard earned money just to go to a match almost wanting the team to lose to justify them moaning about it.

Whatever has happened this last couple of months is nothing short of magical, on and off the pitch.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Leeds Derby first half... live it again.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote:Leeds Derby first half... live it again.

Thanks Rab :tup:

I was desperate to see a re-run of the game

Have you got the 2nd half in your locker too ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

What a special treat to see that first-half again

Come on Rab please post up the 2nd half :shirt:
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EirikOstrem

Post by MeeTa »