Gianni Alioski

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Gianni Alioski

Post by The Subhuman »

The main difference being of course Cooper is 29, will be 30 for the new season and Roberts is 23, I think, and still emerging. Bielsa could turn him into a class player in a season or two. I think he's been the best #10 this season, especially as Rodrigo hasn't settled there at all yet and looks lost at times.

I once said that ball from Harrison to Roofe for a goal late in the season, (I forget against who but it was his first season, remember everyone saying I hope we don't re-loan him? Not good enough. ) was enough for me to to understand the quality there. I've seen that multiple times from Tyler this season. The ball to Harrison v Brighton outrageously lifting it over the defender showed great vision, the no look cross field to Harrison was pass of the season for me, the turn and volley to hit the bar was top drawer. And that lay off inside a split second before being flattened by the defender showed razor sharp reflexes while knowing where his target was. His tackling has been very good for a forward player, clearly better in the air than Paddy with a number of well won target man headers

Add to that some lovely touch passes to Raphinha, Klich and Bamford most of which, in fact all bar two of which have gone unfinished

Marcelo clearly sees a footballer there, no one plays for us that Marcelo doesn't rate and I'm not buying the Marcelo wants to see if he's got what it takes.

Now that said, for me, he's not yet a starter. I don't think I've ever said he should start but he's never let us down. Rodrigo has someway to go before he's a 10 and it depends for me how quickly he makes up that ground. What I do know about Rodrigo is there is undoubted quality when he plays the 9. He's probably a 10 in a 442/352. We don't play that way.

Now I think that's a rational well thought out post, don't think I've insulted, laughed at anyone (Don't think I've ever done that) I try not to read the Tyler Roberts thread as it's not pretty and a lot of it is not debate
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Gianni Alioski ***New Contract***

Post by Norm »

I agree with all the positive comments, especially about keeping him because he still has a potential use, versus buying an unknown who may or may not perform at least as well. When a suitable replacement is found by our genius-in-charge I'll applaud it, but if he's happy with his squad that's all that counts to me.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:28 am Sorry guys,

We need better.
Completely agree, no time for sentiment on this one. He really isn't consistent enough and too much of a liability most times. We need several quality signings over the summer, if we seriously want to push into the top 6. The club are clearly aware of this and will hopefully work hard to strengthen those key areas.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Orta alluded to Gjanni's professionalism in playing flat out during the last ten games of the season, when he could have been protecting himself against an injury which might ruin his potential future elsewhere. It sounds like he might be staying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzPxJprp_Y
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:13 am The main difference being of course Cooper is 29, will be 30 for the new season and Roberts is 23, I think, and still emerging. Bielsa could turn him into a class player in a season or two. I think he's been the best #10 this season, especially as Rodrigo hasn't settled there at all yet and looks lost at times.

I once said that ball from Harrison to Roofe for a goal late in the season, (I forget against who but it was his first season, remember everyone saying I hope we don't re-loan him? Not good enough. ) was enough for me to to understand the quality there. I've seen that multiple times from Tyler this season. The ball to Harrison v Brighton outrageously lifting it over the defender showed great vision, the no look cross field to Harrison was pass of the season for me, the turn and volley to hit the bar was top drawer. And that lay off inside a split second before being flattened by the defender showed razor sharp reflexes while knowing where his target was. His tackling has been very good for a forward player, clearly better in the air than Paddy with a number of well won target man headers

Add to that some lovely touch passes to Raphinha, Klich and Bamford most of which, in fact all bar two of which have gone unfinished

Marcelo clearly sees a footballer there, no one plays for us that Marcelo doesn't rate and I'm not buying the Marcelo wants to see if he's got what it takes.

Now that said, for me, he's not yet a starter. I don't think I've ever said he should start but he's never let us down. Rodrigo has someway to go before he's a 10 and it depends for me how quickly he makes up that ground. What I do know about Rodrigo is there is undoubted quality when he plays the 9. He's probably a 10 in a 442/352. We don't play that way.

Now I think that's a rational well thought out post, don't think I've insulted, laughed at anyone (Don't think I've ever done that) I try not to read the Tyler Roberts thread as it's not pretty and a lot of it is not debate
:clap
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:29 pm I am very glad that we are keeping Alioski.

But seeing that we've gone slightly off topic by bringing up Roberts, I'm going to do the same with Cooper. Because I think the situation with the two of them is similar.

Either they will be regular first choice players because Bielsa rates them highly enough, which is good enough for me.

Or they will be back-up players to the likes of Llorente, Koch and Struijk, and Dallas, Kilich and Rodrigo (and possibly even Palbo's replacement) respectively.

In which case, we will not get anyone better for the back-up role. We do not have the funds (or the attraction of success yet) to attract top-of-the-line players who are willing to play a back-up role.

And I think that they are both good footballers.
:tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Alioski was offered that deal months ago.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Interesting that Orta was focused on sustainability and being realistic in the transfer market regarding level of signings in the Athletic podcast, citing Rodrigo as being the exception rather than the rule.

With that in mind, it would make sense to keep Gjanni and, yes, Tyler at this point to free up funds for quality replacements elsewhere. It won’t stop me groaning every time he hands possession away cheaply, but as Faaip says Marcelo clearly sees a player in there somewhere. IBWT.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I hope Ali stays (obviously) he has really stepped up recently, he is good to have around thw squad also and imo he probably doesnt get the respect for the contributions he deserves.

A regular in all 3 MB seasons.

That being said you must not stand still.

We need a starting left back in the same way we need two cms.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Ali scored the opening goal (from the spot) in North Macedonia's 4-0 friendly win of Kazakstan. Played on the left hand side of a five-man midfield.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

If we sign Galan, then it's not necessary to keep him. If he's just gonna sit on the bench, I'd rather have Davis or Huggins for that instead.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Except we know Alioski can change games and his mere presence in the dressing room is worth a lot... I couldn't think of a better player to come off the bench if we're behind and needing a lift.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Because he has spent so long as a left back its easy to forget Ali arrived as a tricky winger and even last season created more chances per game than Ayling, Bamford and Dallas.

He still plays a more attacking role for his country often on the wing and even as a number 10.

Ali got skills and is imo one of the best impact subs at the club.

Easy to forget but as a winger Ali had a better goal contribution record per minute playing for Paul Heckingbottom and Thomas Christiansen than Jack Harrison and Helder Costa managed playing under Bielsa.

Goal or assist every 262 mins which is better than JH and HC managed when we were promoted.

Imo Ali is being shoehorned as a left back, goal and assist wise based on his past record he may actually be the 2nd best goal scorer and creator we have on the wings and should for me be used in a more attacking position more often.

Id like to see him in midfield.

He has the energy of Dallas but is technically better imo.

Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

https://www.thefa.com/news/2021/jun/22/ ... ate-220621

Absolute farce that this was even an investigation
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:46 am https://www.thefa.com/news/2021/jun/22/ ... ate-220621

Absolute farce that this was even an investigation
You beat me to it Cjay, well he is your cry baby :lol:

Indeed it was a farce :tup:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Total farce. What has our beloved game come to
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Gianni Alioski Contract expired

Post by Cjay »

Less than an hour before Ali is officially no longer a LUFC player :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
171 games

22 goals

19 assists.

Thank you Gianni you mad little Macedonian, you will be missed :verysad: :verysad:
Signed

King Cjay

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I loved him too Cjay :cry: .....from the moment he signed for us
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Oh well nevermind, good luck for the future, time for all parties to move on.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

It would actually be more respectful if we could remember how to spell his name -

EZGJAN ALIOSKI

- farewell a tried and trusted servant.

May you have more success in your next appointment - you have been a wonderful player for us and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.