Gianni Alioski

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Re: Gianni Alioski ***New Contract***

Post by BobHirst »

He has certainly upgraded his performances lately. Is he one of those players whose game improves when their contract is up for
renewal?
Anyway, I hope he accepts it and continues to play like he has done recently.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

BobHirst wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:33 pm He has certainly upgraded his performances lately. Is he one of those players whose game improves when their contact is up for
renewal?
Anyway, I hope he accepts it and continues to play like he has done recently.
I don't think you can suddenly start playing better just because your contract is ending. Probably more likely to go the other way and the player shirks tackles etc as they don't want to risk injury or does what Charlie Taylor did and refuse to play. For me Alioski improved as he is getting more and more used to the position and don't forget he also finally got a stable defence behind him. The constant disruption at centreback also affects the full backs to as they need to build up understandings with the centrebacks.

I certainly wouldn't be disheartened if we started the season with the same players we have now and made no signings. A rejuvenated Klich is like a new signing as will be having a fit Rodrigo. Alioski's improvement has made the need for a new full back less desperate. We have shown these past few weeks how good we are when we have nearly everyone fit.

Oh and we could also have Forshaw back....
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I'm so glad we're keeping him at least for a while longer. He still has much to offer.

I wish we were keeping Berardi as well. He's always impressed me as a player who takes his responsibilities seriously and is a man of honour. I'll never forget him.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Norm wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:50 am I'm so glad we're keeping him at least for a while longer. He still has much to offer.

I wish we were keeping Berardi as well. He's always impressed me as a player who takes his responsibilities seriously and is a man of honour. I'll never forget him.
Completely agree on both points, Norm.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Sorry guys,

We need better.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:28 am Sorry guys,

We need better.
Same thing said about Dallas as a full back and then Dallas as a midfielder. Money can mean a better player but equally Bielsa can make a player better. Is Alioski taking his game to a higher level now just as Dallas did?
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

To replace Alioski with a player of equivalent quality, even as cover... would cost several million quid.

I'd sooner retain him, even if we have to push the boat out, and offload Costa - who we'd get a few bob for and a large wage off the bill.

Giving Alioski five grand a week more than he is worth, on a four year deal is only £1m extra. If he's a dud in two years we can always loan him out or sell him at an appropriate price.

It makes no business sense to see him leave for nowt.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Great news assuming he accepts and one would think he'll have been given some assurances regarding playing time. He's still learning the position and his defensive positioning has improved massively.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

weasel wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:53 am Same thing said about Dallas as a full back and then Dallas as a midfielder. Money can mean a better player but equally Bielsa can make a player better. Is Alioski taking his game to a higher level now just as Dallas did?
Going forward we will need consistency.

Dallas is consistent, and when the time comes he will be upgraded too.

But for me Alioski is an accident waiting to happen.

Brighton was only a month ago.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:47 am Going forward we will need consistency.

Dallas is consistent, and when the time comes he will be upgraded too.

But for me Alioski is an accident waiting to happen.

Brighton was only a month ago.
If you're going to use Brighton as a yardstick none of them played well! :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

I'm in the retain Alioski camp. To replace him with an unknown quantity will cost money and has considerable risk. I think he offers a lot, can play in many positions, is liked around the squad, has the right attitude for Bielsa (accepts and gets on with it with no complaint), and carries a goal threat. I also think he's building a good understanding with Harrison whom we will be signing.

Do I think there's better LBs out there? Yes, and we should pursue one. I think in either case (buy or not a new LB), Alioski will get minutes next season (just like Cooper will).
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

becchio bear wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:27 pm If you're going to use Brighton as a yardstick none of them played well! :bear:
Not helped by an Alioski rugby tackle which handed them the lead and allowed them to sit back and soak up the prerssure.

Funny that he makes 13th in the forums player ratings.

I would rather we invested in a new guy and used one of the U23s as his understudy.
'
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:49 pm Not helped by an Alioski rugby tackle which handed them the lead and allowed them to sit back and soak up the prerssure.

Funny that he makes 13th in the forums player ratings.

I would rather we invested in a new guy and used one of the U23s as his understudy.
I still believe we'll sign a new LB in the summer even if Alioski remains at Leeds.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

I'd be very pleased if he stays.

He's been an integral part of the amazing rise. Sure, he has us scratching our heads with his errors and his antics. But he's done remarkably well for a winger who was asked to fill in at full back.

And as Matt Doherty shows, a full back can look like Rolls Royce with one side and like he's never kicked a ball in another. There's no guarantee any purchase will be an improvement. We've even seen it at Leeds, big money signings like Danny Granville and Danny Mills turn out to be a whole heap of meh...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Roberts played well v Brighton
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

weasel wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:21 am I don't think you can suddenly start playing better just because your contract is ending. Probably more likely to go the other way and the player shirks tackles etc as they don't want to risk injury or does what Charlie Taylor did and refuse to play. For me Alioski improved as he is getting more and more used to the position and don't forget he also finally got a stable defence behind him. The constant disruption at centreback also affects the full backs to as they need to build up understandings with the centrebacks.

I certainly wouldn't be disheartened if we started the season with the same players we have now and made no signings. A rejuvenated Klich is like a new signing as will be having a fit Rodrigo. Alioski's improvement has made the need for a new full back less desperate. We have shown these past few weeks how good we are when we have nearly everyone fit.

Oh and we could also have Forshaw back....
I'll admit that you can find both pro and con articles that support the theory of
"Contract Year" improved performance from players. This one supports the theory but also cautions that the improvement in the contract year is often followed by an actual decline the following year.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 170622.htm
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

faaip wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:43 pm Roberts played well v Brighton
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

ok, good argument....
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Thought I'd try a Roberts comment as I was told we were going to be more reasonable ..clearly not. Thing is I'm not being a WUM or deliberately obtuse. I do think Roberts is a very good footballer with a lot of potential. I do think he was our best player v Brighton.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:15 pm Thought I'd try a Roberts comment as I was told we were going to be more reasonable ..clearly not. Thing is I'm not being a WUM or deliberately obtuse. I do think Roberts is a very good footballer with a lot of potential. I do think he was our best player v Brighton.
I am very glad that we are keeping Alioski.

But seeing that we've gone slightly off topic by bringing up Roberts, I'm going to do the same with Cooper. Because I think the situation with the two of them is similar.

Either they will be regular first choice players because Bielsa rates them highly enough, which is good enough for me.

Or they will be back-up players to the likes of Llorente, Koch and Struijk, and Dallas, Kilich and Rodrigo (and possibly even Palbo's replacement) respectively.

In which case, we will not get anyone better for the back-up role. We do not have the funds (or the attraction of success yet) to attract top-of-the-line players who are willing to play a back-up role.

And I think that they are both good footballers.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.