Tyler Roberts

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Tyler Roberts

Post by faaip »

SaraM wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:10 am What you say makes sense, and it is important to start the game well as a team, but doesn't it say something else about a player if his performance improves throughout a game, rather than tailing off?
Depends on the game I would have thought. We play an high press high intensity game which in the prem means you should be tiring as the game goes on..
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
Mountain
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Mountain »

There were times where a lot of fans wanted Bamford out to give Roberts a chance up front. If everyone is fit, I suspect he won't start. I don't see the absolute need to sell him, I'd certainly would keep him as a squad player/sub.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

I'd sell any player if the value is there and they want to move. It's the nature of the business of football.
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM »

faaip wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:21 am Depends on the game I would have thought. We play an high press high intensity game which in the prem means you should be tiring as the game goes on..
I meant something about a player's ability to focus, get a grip on a game, learn, and improve his performance in game time. Doesn't that suggest mental strength, adaptability and perseverance, as well as physical fitness? Also the intelligence to analyse and understand what is needed. Maybe this is what Roberts lacks.

A player who starts well and fades, unless he is injured, is surely losing concentration, letting his head drop, and possibly also being sussed out and neutralised by the opposition, without being able to adapt and counter that.

Often it seems to take Leeds time to grow into a game. Southampton was an example; we weather their early press, and gradually exert dominance. Different game if they'd scored one of their early chances. Similarly if Villa hadn't, and still needed to chase. So, there isn't always a pattern of Leeds needing to start well in order to win, although it obviously helps if we do.

I think that is a different point, in any case, from what it tells you about a player if they improve or fade second half.
I don't wanna be on this dark road alone.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

We can't afford to waste another season on him to see if he can make it. Loaning him out to Preston isn't going to make him a PL player. The best way is to play in the PL and prove yourself good enough, he has and hasn't taken the chance, Struijk in comparison has done the opposite. We have moved on from him and he needs to find his level.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

Give him a 1 year contract then send him out on loan that way he would not be a free agent and we have a chance of getting some kind of fee for him.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:46 pm Do we need reminding he's being played out of position?
What position should he be playing in?
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

SG90 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:52 am What position should he be playing in?
Striker ...He's currently playing the 10 off Bamford.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:56 am Striker ...He's currently playing the 10 off Bamford.
So we should drop our top scorer in favour of someone who has no goals this season?
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

No ...not saying that.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

I love your positivity toward Tyler faaip, but honestly mate, he's not a prem player, why MB plays him, is more about the squad available than his qualities, he needs to go out on loan at a championship club for a year , and then we can see if he can make it in the Prem
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

gessa wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:37 am He's definitely a player that divides opinion and won't argue with anything you say because I can agree with a lot of it but I think for the cost he's worth persevering with for another season, unless we do get the 5 quality signings that we're allegedly after, then he may be too far down the pecking order and for his own development needs to move on.
Spot on gessa mate... and lets not forget, he is played out of position, I thought he had a fair game yesterday, I think his retaliation was a lot of built up frustration... but he is definately trying.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:05 pm Spot on gessa mate... and lets not forget, he is played out of position, I thought he had a fair game yesterday, I think his retaliation was a lot of built up frustration... but he is definately trying.
I'll never slag a player that's trying :tup:
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

gessa wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:06 pm I'll never slag a player that's trying :tup:
YOu and me both :tup:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

MB has already said that Roberts is playing because of injuries and that Roberts is playing for his future.

Thats the boss saying that in public which he has never done with a player before while here.

So it isnt just the majority of the fans that are far from convinced.

I dont get the Bamford comparisons.

Yes Bamford missed chances, yes some got frustrated but Paddy had far far more credit in the bank given his history.

He was named Championship player of the year at the age Roberts is now and had 49 goals and 17 assists over the last 2.5 seasons.

I dont get the defending Roberts by comparing him to Bamford.

Bamford was a far far more proven footballer at Roberts age never mind when we signed him.

The two arent comparable, Roberts talent is based on opinion, Bamford had facts and achievements.
BGwhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by BGwhite »

You can't compare players playing in different positions.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

gessa

Post by gessa »

One thing I did notice yesterday, Struijk and Costa got a friendly tap on the shoulder from Bielsa when they came off, Robert's got a scowl.
Mountain
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Mountain »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:27 pm Yes Bamford missed chances, yes some got frustrated but Paddy had far far more credit in the bank given his history.

He was named Championship player of the year at the age Roberts is now and had 49 goals and 17 assists over the last 2.5 seasons.

I dont get the defending Roberts by comparing him to Bamford.

Bamford was a far far more proven footballer at Roberts age never mind when we signed him.

The two arent comparable, Roberts talent is based on opinion, Bamford had facts and achievements.
The Bamford comparison was not to say the players are alike, but that fans calling for a player to be removed can get it wrong.

As you correctly point out, when lots of Leeds fans were dismissing Bamford, he had already been a Championship player of the season. But even that didn't prevent him from all the stick and the comments to the effect that he'd never make it in the Premier League, he should be sold, we'd need a new striker etc.

Plus, the fact that he was Championship player of the season at Roberts age points to one obvious difference. At Roberts age he was in the Championship, and stayed there for a few years. In fact he had failed at a few Premier League clubs. Roberts is playing at a higher level. He hasn't set the place alight, but as I said before, for me we're talking about a role in the squad when everyone is fit, and I think he's worth that.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Mountain wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:00 pm The Bamford comparison was not to say the players are alike, but that fans calling for a player to be removed can get it wrong.

As you correctly point out, when lots of Leeds fans were dismissing Bamford, he had already been a Championship player of the season. But even that didn't prevent him from all the stick and the comments to the effect that he'd never make it in the Premier League, he should be sold, we'd need a new striker etc.

Plus, the fact that he was Championship player of the season at Roberts age points to one obvious difference. At Roberts age he was in the Championship, and stayed there for a few years. In fact he had failed at a few Premier League clubs. Roberts is playing at a higher level. He hasn't set the place alight, but as I said before, for me we're talking about a role in the squad when everyone is fit, and I think he's worth that.
The problem is that Roberts has never fully convinced at any level.

He wasnt even particularly impressive at league 1 before we signed him.

He wasnt impressive at Championship level at all, back end of last season he got start after start and did nothing and was subbed for Pablo each game which was probably the plan anyway but i cant think of 1 game where he didnt deserve to be subbed anyway.

We got promoted in spite of Roberts his contribution was minimal in truth.

His contract is up in 2022 and so the club need to make a decision on him.

All about opinions mate, i dont rate him never have and dont see him ever making it here.

Id rather try others who may.

Joe Gelhard, Sam Greenwood, Crysensio Summerville.

Roberts seems to be like one of those players who will be a bit part player somewhere at 28 and people will still be talking about his potential.
Mountain
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Mountain »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:59 pm Id rather try others who may.

Joe Gelhard, Sam Greenwood, Crysensio Summerville.
I certainly agree there.

For the first time in a very long time, results don't matter too much, I'd like to see Bielsa try out new faces, see if they can step up to the PL. I disagree with the whole "drop Roberts, bring back Hernandez" idea for that very reason, but if Roberts sat out a few matches while we tried Gelhardt and Greenwood, I think that would be a good use of the upcoming matches.