Tyler Roberts-Birmingham move confirmed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Tyler Roberts

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:06 pm

At some point we have to sell players and Roberts is well down the pecking order and a saleable asset?

I just dont get the desire some of you guys have to keep him.

I have no desire to either sell or keep him Cjay, Bielsa will make that choice for me. I was just making the point that Bielsa's celebration seemed to be saying (to me anyway) "I have faith, I was right" :)
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

CJ said
I just dont get the desire some of you guys have to keep him.
Opinions differ, as we always point out, I do not see the desire you have to off load him CJ... I think we are all in for a surprise when the buying and selling all starts this window... given how this team of ours performed following all the rcoveries from injuries, the last 10 games(1/4 of the season, less 2 games)... Leeds United are top of a 10 game league, well joint with Citeh, not to shabby.... I would not be surprised at all to see Rodders playing the B2B role behind Bamford, with Raph & Jack on the wings...yes Tyro would be a bench player (for now) spending to replace a very adequate bench player boggles the mind IMO.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

whiteswan wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:21 pm I have no desire to either sell or keep him Cjay, Bielsa will make that choice for me. I was just making the point that Bielsa's celebration seemed to be saying (to me anyway) "I have faith, I was right" :)
Was certainly a happy boy :) :) :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Smudge3920 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:24 pm Opinions differ, as we always point out, I do not see the desire you have to off load him CJ... I think we are all in for a surprise when the buying and selling all starts this window... given how this team of ours performed following all the rcoveries from injuries, the last 10 games(1/4 of the season, less 2 games)... Leeds United are top of a 10 game league, well joint with Citeh, not to shabby.... I would not be surprised at all to see Rodders playing the B2B role behind Bamford, with Raph & Jack on the wings...yes Tyro would be a bench player (for now) spending to replace a very adequate bench player boggles the mind IMO.
Out of our squad Roberts has progressed the least under MB, Bielsa himself said not that long ago Roberts only plays because others are injured and Roberts has till the summer to prove himself.

Bielsa has never ever done that before, not so publicly call out a player.

So to me that means that in order for us to keep in line with the small squad Bielsa wants but to also improve our first 11 and squad as should be the aim of every club every summer then players will have to leave, after all you have to sell players from time to time, everyone does.

Roberts is one of the few players who we can afford to lose, who will have some value, and who hasnt ever looked such a good player that you definitely want him to stay.

We lack quality in the first 11, that has been said many times on here this season, not a criticism but an observation, we are a team greater than the sum of its parts and have done exceptional. However it would be madness not to actively try and upgrade the first 11, you very quickly slide down the table if you stand still at this level, look at Spurs, look at Arsenal, look at Liverpool, look at Wolves this season, squads go stale (i stand by my 3 year cycle thread incidentally).

I really do feel that we need to add 3 or 4 first 11 players to freshen up the squad.

If we do that as we should then squad players now become surplus, its as simple as that.

Also final point, if Roberts has this wonderful potential then he has to play to unlock it, that isnt going to happen here if he is 3rd, 4th 5th choice regardless.

i do enjoy these debates, tiz what the forum is about :)
Signed

King Cjay

Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

CJ When you make statements like ...
We lack quality in the first 11
You are going to have to define quality to me... when as I said
the last 10 games(1/4 of the season, less 2 games)... Leeds United are top of a 10 game league, well joint with Citeh, not to shabby
Where would we be if we had been a little luckier with injuries and had available our last 4 purchases all season?

There is no question we have to add to the squad, and the use of the word "sentimentality" by some is somewhat condescending. There is no sentimentality (on my part) at least... Whilst I do hate losing loyal players I would rather be thinking along the lines of Cooper who is definately down the depth charts now, Henandez we have known all season his time is up, then there is Costa, he should be moved, can Berardi reclaim his position?... Roberts has age on his side, Alioski looks like he is departing, (albeit he is another I would like to stay).

IMO MB maybe changing his thoughts regarding squad size, given the injuries we have struggled with this year... the prem after all is the best league in the world and it is his first season of experience in it...that remains to be seen.

Whatever the outcome and the off season brings, I trust in the manager, the team and the builders of the club, I cannot wait for next year,I am convinced there will be yet more improvement....MOT :scarfe2:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Smudge3920 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:14 pm CJ When you make statements like ...

You are going to have to define quality to me... when as I said

Raph, Llorente, players of that ilk are the level we should aspire to have our first 11 at.

Where would we be if we had been a little luckier with injuries and had available our last 4 purchases all season?
Much higher i am sure, we have had a wonderful season but you cant stand still.

There is no question we have to add to the squad, and the use of the word "sentimentality" by some is somewhat condescending. There is no sentimentality (on my part) at least...

Whilst I do hate losing loyal players I would rather be thinking along the lines of Cooper who is definately down the depth charts now, Henandez we have known all season his time is up, then there is Costa, he should be moved, can Berardi reclaim his position?... Roberts has age on his side, Alioski looks like he is departing, (albeit he is another I would like to stay).

Berardi wants to go back to Italy apparently, that was widely reported in the summer, expect that's where he will go.

But Roberts wouldn't play, therefore he wont develop even if you believe he has potential (i dont for what its worth i said agead ago he reminds me of Roofe, i fully expect Roberts to have a similar career path, decent lower league and weaker European league career).

Players have to play to develop dont they, even if we disagree on his level we do agree he isnt 1st choice therefore he wont play enough to develop.

If we keep him, if we do that he should go on loan, use Greenwood or Gelhardt as backup and see what Roberts has got as we have done with McCalmont, Edmondson, Bogusz etc at some point you have to let them play regularly to see if there is anything there.

We do agree on Ali and Costa and Cooper though, yay
:)

IMO MB maybe changing his thoughts regarding squad size, given the injuries we have struggled with this year... the prem after all is the best league in the world and it is his first season of experience in it...that remains to be seen.

Doubtful, he has worked at the top international level and in La Liga so isnt like he isnt used to elite level competition, i think thats one thing that will never change unfortunately, hope you are right however .

Whatever the outcome and the off season brings, I trust in the manager, the team and the builders of the club, I cannot wait for next year,I am convinced there will be yet more improvement....MOT :scarfe2:
Far to optimistic, welcome relegation, administration and the 49ers buying us and moving all our home matches to London :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

The others have never played for the first team as yet, but if Leeds said “we have to let one leave out of Roberts, Greenwood or Gelhardt”, who would you wave bye-bye to?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

whiteswan wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:21 pm I have no desire to either sell or keep him Cjay, Bielsa will make that choice for me. I was just making the point that Bielsa's celebration seemed to be saying (to me anyway) "I have faith, I was right" :)
Or maybe people are jumping to conclusions and all Bielsa was doing was celebrating the goal that had made sure we would win the game. Don't forget that less than a minute before we scored that 2nd Southampton had a really good chance to equalise.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote:

Or maybe people are jumping to conclusions and all Bielsa was doing was celebrating the goal that had made sure we would win the game. Don't forget that less than a minute before we scored that 2nd Southampton had a really good chance to equalise.
'appen
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:00 am Or maybe people are jumping to conclusions and all Bielsa was doing was celebrating the goal that had made sure we would win the game. Don't forget that less than a minute before we scored that 2nd Southampton had a really good chance to equalise.
I'm gonna choose to think that MB was indicating his delight in Roberts scoring, it certainly seemed to be a level above his usual celebration and I don't think The Saints nearly scoring would have any influence on his celebration
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:32 pm I'm gonna choose to think that MB was indicating his delight in Roberts scoring, it certainly seemed to be a level above his usual celebration and I don't think The Saints nearly scoring would have any influence on his celebration
Marcelo did say he was really happy for Roberts scoring his first goal in the PL.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:34 pm Marcelo did say he was really happy for Roberts scoring his first goal in the PL.
So am I, doesn't mean I want to keep hold of him though ;-)
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

weasel wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:00 am Or maybe people are jumping to conclusions and all Bielsa was doing was celebrating the goal that had made sure we would win the game. Don't forget that less than a minute before we scored that 2nd Southampton had a really good chance to equalise.
I'm pretty sure I've seen him celebrate like that more than once before.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:34 pm Marcelo did say he was really happy for Roberts scoring his first goal in the PL.
Not sure if would say otherwise, since he was asked. :roflmao:

But seriously, I don't think anybody's unhappy he scored.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

mothbanquet wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:24 pm Not sure if would say otherwise, since he was asked. :roflmao:
:rol:
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Leeds United are pleased to announce Tyler Roberts has signed a new contract with the club. The 22-year-old has penned a three-year deal running until the summer of 2024.

Pleased for the lad!

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-n ... w-contract
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Tyler has now signed a contract keeping him at Leeds until 2024.

Discuss. :)
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:05 pm Discuss. :)

Might just lock it now :)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Meh

Lucky boy to say the least, has in no way deserved that extension and inevitable wage increase.
Signed

King Cjay

Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Well one way to look at it is, it may help... now he has a new contract he might feel more secure, the pressure is off, knowing he is not going to be off loaded and we can start to see the real Tyler Roberts