Tyler Roberts-Birmingham move confirmed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: Tyler Roberts

Post by mentalcase »

faaip wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:11 pm He's been heralded for community work before, great lad, good footballer.
They all ought to be doing community work, these people are proffessional footballers on massive wages, and so they should set examples, he might be a great lad, so what, I notice you put "good footballer " there are many "good" footballers out there, we need better than "good" in this league.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:00 pm I think these stats give a good indication of a player's performance & involvement in a game, even though you hate them Faaip. Tyler had a good 25 minutes v Watford.
For me it was a typical Roberts performance, always works hard, beats players at will, defensively good nearly every time I've seen him and much better in the air than Paddy. His worst performance of late was in relief of Raph on the wing.. Now he is every bit as good a footballer as Paddy but Paddy gets the minutes and the consistent playing position. Tyler has played 3/4 positions in that same time for a lot less minutes.

What fans don't like about him seems to be he ain't a super sub, game changer off the bench. Sorry but that's not a valid criticism of the player and I've lost count of the chances he's set up
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

faaip wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:07 pm For me it was a typical Roberts performance, always works hard, beats players at will, defensively good nearly every time I've seen him and much better in the air than Paddy. His worst performance of late was in relief of Raph on the wing.. Now he is every bit as good a footballer as Paddy but Paddy gets the minutes and the consistent playing position. Tyler has played 3/4 positions in that same time for a lot less minutes.

What fans don't like about him seems to be he ain't a super sub, game changer off the bench. Sorry but that's not a valid criticism of the player and I've lost count of the chances he's set up
Watching different games to me mate… Tyler wouldn’t make any other PL teams starting 11. Fewer and fewer supporter are making excuses for him now, I’ve a feeling Bielsa will Jack it in at the end of the season which will be a huge shame but the one ounce of consolation will be not having to watch Tyler play as no new coach will have the same faith in him
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:07 pm For me it was a typical Roberts performance, always works hard, beats players at will, defensively good nearly every time I've seen him and much better in the air than Paddy. His worst performance of late was in relief of Raph on the wing.. Now he is every bit as good a footballer as Paddy but Paddy gets the minutes and the consistent playing position. Tyler has played 3/4 positions in that same time for a lot less minutes.

I can't really remember a time that Roberts has looked good in the main striker role - but he also hasn't really been given that much of a chance. For me I struggle to see exactly what his best position is - I'd actually probably say just behind the striker but that role in our team involves a lot of centre mid work as well which is also where Rodrigo struggles a lot. Always looks like he has a nice touch and is a good footballer, for me just not entirely sure exactly where he fits in position wise. Always difficult coming off the bench as well, which he has done a lot of
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:40 am I can't really remember a time that Roberts has looked good in the main striker role - but he also hasn't really been given that much of a chance. For me I struggle to see exactly what his best position is - I'd actually probably say just behind the striker but that role in our team involves a lot of centre mid work as well which is also where Rodrigo struggles a lot. Always looks like he has a nice touch and is a good footballer, for me just not entirely sure exactly where he fits in position wise. Always difficult coming off the bench as well, which he has done a lot of
Coming on as a sub at Hull scoring a hat-trick in our promotion season.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Richard wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:40 am Watching different games to me mate… Tyler wouldn’t make any other PL teams starting 11. Fewer and fewer supporter are making excuses for him now, I’ve a feeling Bielsa will Jack it in at the end of the season which will be a huge shame but the one ounce of consolation will be not having to watch Tyler play as no new coach will have the same faith in him
There are plenty of subs at plenty of clubs in the Premier League that wouldn't make the starting 11 at other clubs. Plus that test isn't applied to other Leeds players, Joe Gelhardt wouldn't start for any other Premier League club yet some Leeds fans want him starting for us.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Mountain wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:50 am There are plenty of subs at plenty of clubs in the Premier League that wouldn't make the starting 11 at other clubs. Plus that test isn't applied to other Leeds players, Joe Gelhardt wouldn't start for any other Premier League club yet some Leeds fans want him starting for us.
He’s not exactly a sub though is he, he fights for a first team place. 35 appearances in the PL
One goal 2 assists in the position he plays is gash
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Mountain wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:50 am There are plenty of subs at plenty of clubs in the Premier League that wouldn't make the starting 11 at other clubs. Plus that test isn't applied to other Leeds players, Joe Gelhardt wouldn't start for any other Premier League club yet some Leeds fans want him starting for us.
How do you know he wouldn’t start for any other Premier League club? He hasn’t really been given a chance yet to prove himself one way or the other. He’s looked very good for the under 23s and I don’t think you can judge his ability on one or two very fleeting sub appearances for the 1st team as opposed to Roberts who has been given every opportunity in the world and has been found wanting.

From what I’ve seen so far despite a multitude of starts and sub appearances over the last three seasons or so, I certainly don’t think Tyler Roberts is the answer to our goal scoring or attacking creativity problem. I’m not saying Gelhardt would be either but it’s only fair to judge him after he’s been given a decent amount of game time.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:25 am How do you know he wouldn’t start for any other Premier League club? He hasn’t really been given a chance yet to prove himself one way or the other. He’s looked very good for the under 23s...
Ummmmmmmm....the same way you know Roberts wouldn't start with any other club!

What club would you see dropping their striker to play Gelhardt?

Have you seen the list of last year's top under 23 strikers. Some of them with Derby and Blackburn and even at those club they don't get a look on. The jump from under 23 to first team is huge.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Looking back on when Roberts first joined us I wanted him to play more because on fleeting glances he looked good. Many wanted him to start in front of a misfiring Bamford.
Problem was initially he didn’t get a long run and unfortunately the good performances became fleeting.
After two seasons of mainly cameo roles I fully expected him to move on. TBH, I thought he’d go to another Championship side but I didn’t quite get the Bielsa “18” at the time.
It’s not Roberts’ fault that he is not up to standard in this league but it’s a continuing frustration that he has become a blocker for up and coming talent like Bate. Costa fell into the same category and I’m afraid Forshaw will soon become the same.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Mountain wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:56 am Ummmmmmmm....the same way you know Roberts wouldn't start with any other club!

What club would you see dropping their striker to play Gelhardt?

Have you seen the list of last year's top under 23 strikers. Some of them with Derby and Blackburn and even at those club they don't get a look on. The jump from under 23 to first team is huge.
I haven’t actually said that Roberts wouldn’t start with any other club. But I will say is, whether he would have started or not, I don’t think he would have been given so much opportunity at most other clubs having failed to impress so regularly.

No idea which club would drop their striker to play Gelhardt but as it happens, at the moment, we wouldn’t have to drop our striker to give Gelhardt a go as our striker is out injured. I, like a lot of other posters, believe that the best time to introduce a young player is into a winning/confident team and so now might not be the best time but in my opinion he can’t be much less effective than Roberts and/or Rodrigo have been, so why not give him a chance.

Having said all that though I think Bielsa will start Roberts today and I sincerely hope that Leeds win and he has a stormer to prove me wrong.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Byebyegeegee wrote:
I haven’t actually said that Roberts wouldn’t start with any other club. But I will say is, whether he would have started or not, I don’t think he would have been given so much opportunity at most other clubs having failed to impress so regularly.

No idea which club would drop their striker to play Gelhardt but as it happens, at the moment, we wouldn’t have to drop our striker to give Gelhardt a go as our striker is out injured. I, like a lot of other posters, believe that the best time to introduce a young player is into a winning/confident team and so now might not be the best time but in my opinion he can’t be much less effective than Roberts and/or Rodrigo have been, so why not give him a chance.

Having said all that though I think Bielsa will start Roberts today and I sincerely hope that Leeds win and he has a stormer to prove me wrong.
Middle of 2nd paragraph.... absolutely ! It all helps with the ' evolution' Image

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Last edited by BGwhite on Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

All Leeds TV
@AllLeedsTV
·
Oct 20
From
@Other14The
Tyler Roberts enters the Penalty area with passes/carries the 4th most p90(of the Other 14). While it is a small sample size this is still good work and what he brings to the team. Also bear in mind nearly all these minutes were from the bench. #LUFC

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I mean everyone here lives and dies by the assist stat which completely ignores chances missed by the striker or gives the assist to the wrong player. No respect for anyone quoting the assist stat as the basis for any argument. Bamford got a lot of assists last season when most of the work was done by someone else
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

He's head n shoulders above Rapha then !

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

You get that from that graphic ..wow... Raph is clearly better because of sample size for Roberts is small but what it's telling you is Roberts is effective with the limited time he gets. Not his fault whomever gets the supply is f**king it up. Something Paddy does with alarming regularity.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Tongue in cheek ....Zzzzz

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Didn't come across as that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote:Didn't come across as that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
So sorry you didn't pick up on it. We all know he'll never be as good as Rapha.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

we all know a s**t load of players won't be as good as Raph, that's not a knock on Roberts. But he is as good as Paddy/Ayling/Dallas etc with more power to improve as he only 22