Tyler Roberts-Birmingham move confirmed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
rab_rant

Re: Tyler Roberts

Post by rab_rant »

Just have a look at Tyler's goal in the video "from all angles" and particularly Bielsa's celebrations.

Marcelo was spitting fire and fury as he shouted goal, goal, goal, whilst pounding the air, or imaginary critics and pundits with his fists. Tearing down strongholds in high places.

Beating them into silence and submission, stopping up their mouths. The internal monoluge saying the more you beat my players down, the more I will build them up. I turn the world upside down. My revolution is evolution.
I win again. I keep the faith.

It is a weird angry emotional celebration. A vindication, and in those moments he is oblivious to the rest of the world and the TV cameras. Justification that he has done the right thing, regardless of an uncomprehending world.

https://video.leedsunited.com/video/dm9 ... VlZA%3D%3D

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

rab_rant wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:02 pm Just have a look at Tyler's goal in the video "from all angles" and particularly Bielsa's celebrations.

Marcelo was spitting fire and fury as he shouted goal, goal, goal, whilst pounding the air, or imaginary critics and pundits with his fists. Tearing down strongholds in high places.

Beating them into silence and submission, stopping up their mouths. The internal monoluge saying the more you beat my players down, the more I will build them up. I turn the world upside down. My revolution is evolution.
I win again. I keep the faith.

It is a weird angry emotional celebration. A vindication, and in those moments he is oblivious to the rest of the world and the TV cameras. Justification that he has done the right thing, regardless of an uncomprehending world.

https://video.leedsunited.com/video/dm9 ... VlZA%3D%3D

Good post, me and MB see eye to eye. My guess is he's told Roberts to go for goal if he gets a chance after weeks of playing others in. To be selfish to help his confidence.

Really hopes he stays there's a lot of quality there.
Last edited by The Subhuman on Wed May 19, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Not going to get carried away with one goal but I do wonder if a cartharsis is yet to come with Roberts - as it has seemingly with Bamford after all the stick he took. We won't find out if he doesn't sign a new contract, however.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:46 pm Not going to get carried away with one goal but I do wonder if a cartharsis is yet to come with Roberts - as it has seemingly with Bamford after all the stick he took. We won't find out if he doesn't sign a new contract, however.
Roberts was excellent v Brighton, my favourite pass of the season was that no look cross field so many others make look difficult. Can't recall who that was against, The turn and volley which hit the bar, the two/three assists that got lost to VAR including the gorgeous chip after beating his man.

I saw this quality from Harrison in his first season in flashes, from Kalvin pre Bielsa when everyone was say he's lg one standard. I knew Klich was quality even before TC ditched him for no good reason. I've stood up for these three and I'll continue to battle against the tide for Roberts. It's a bonus he's such a hero in the community too

Bielsa is good but he can't work with what isn't already there.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

£10m pays for Harrison and then promote Gelhardt and Greenwood as a replacement. We can't keep spending money without bringing some in in return.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:46 pm Not going to get carried away with one goal but I do wonder if a cartharsis is yet to come with Roberts - as it has seemingly with Bamford after all the stick he took. We won't find out if he doesn't sign a new contract, however.
The goal was lucky though but he's earned that luck, it was good defensive work to rob him and Paddy really should have put it away robbing Tyler of his chance
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:59 pm £10m pays for Harrison and then promote Gelhardt and Greenwood as a replacement. We can't keep spending money without bringing some in in return.
We'd get a lot more for Paddy
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:00 pm We'd get a lot more for Paddy
And that would go on Cunha most likely.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

mothbanquet wrote:Not going to get carried away with one goal but I do wonder if a cartharsis is yet to come with Roberts - as it has seemingly with Bamford after all the stick he took. We won't find out if he doesn't sign a new contract, however.
I think it may will be a case of deja vu. Weather goest Bamford there goes Roberts

Bielsa looks at the legs of a kid in bed and asked him to come and play for him.

Perhaps he sees things that are oblivious to the majority of people.

Faith can be inspirational.

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

faaip wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:59 pm The goal was lucky though but he's earned that luck, it was good defensive work to rob him and Paddy really should have put it away robbing Tyler of his chance
The chance was lucky but the shot was good, accurately side-footed between two defenders and with enough power to leave the keeper stranded. It was also very unselfish to, after twisting and turning to wrong-foot the CBs, lay it off for Paddy who could've done more than blast it at the keeper.

I maintain that if he does decide to go I think he'll do very well but not much more the club can do except put an offer on the table.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:05 pm And that would go on Cunha most likely.
Which would leave us with money to spend. Tyler actually has a year left on contract and we've no idea what if anything has been offered anyway. All we have is click bait
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I think Roberts has shown a lot of potential that he could make the step up in the 2nd half of the season. He's been unlucky not to score. Didn't he have 2 goals disallowed?

I'm guessing he hasn't signed a contract because it's only at a squad player level. He would start every week for a few teams in the premier and will get better money elsewhere. I think Leeds will continue to upgrade in the transfer market, which would leave Roberts as back up from the bench.

I'd keep him around, but it's up to him whether he'd be happy with that. Like I said, he'll be a starter and get better money somewhere else.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

did well on saturday and is getting better, jury is still out thought but needs more game time

he's also missed a lot of good chances the last few months, needs to become more clinical, most of our squad do
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

If Roberts was offered 20k, that's just a third of the salary of an average squad player in the Premier League.

Or, put another way, to replace Roberts with an average Premier League squad player will cost 3 times more.

Unless a really big offer comes in, I'd definitely keep him.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Tyler Roberts has the same amount of yellow cards as he has Premier League goals or assists, in fact he has the same 8 league yellow cards as he does league goals for us, not a great showing after 3.5 years.

To me TyRo seems to be like flogging a dead horse, at what point do you say ok enough is enough? Know he is only 22 but that isnt that young, look at Foden and Greenwood.

If Raph is the benchmark for attacking players he has a goal or assist every 162 minutes for us.

Roberts this season is every 439 minutes, its a vast vast difference and yes he has had some bad luck but since when has that been an excuse? Footballers sometimes dont get the rub of the green, it happens.

He is a squad player we can easily improve on, i dont see the arguments for keeping him really unless its blind hope and sentimentality.

Ruthlessness is required to progress, Roberts clearly has some ability but we are a Premier League club now and this is a player who didnt even convince in the Championship and was only ever a squad player who played when others were injured (as Bielsa has himself said).

He hasnt shown anywhere near the level of improvement needed to move up that pecking order and therefore logically would be one of the first out the door as new players come in imo.

Dont mean to be harsh but this conversation about Roberts potential has been going on for years now with absolute minimum evidence of its existence, certainly nothing to suggest he is a top 10 prem player.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Marcelo Bielsa believes in him, or at the least appears to, I do believe some players mature slower than other's, nobody in this forum has the vision or experience with players like MB...so if MB wants to keep him that is good enough for me, and personally I hope he stays,at the risk of repeating myself IMO he is worth it...the skill is there, we just have to be a little more patient, and at 22 a year or two more is worth the investment, as stated a replacement would cost a lot more.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I also noticed Bielsas celebration of Tyler's goal, making a point I think
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

10 years ago no one had heard of Vardy... he is now the only player to have won the golden boot in the Prem & the Championship... 33 years old now and still sccoring...just saying he was 23 when he broke out.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

whiteswan wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:58 pm I also noticed Bielsas celebration of Tyler's goal, making a point I think
:tup: ..He liked it didnt he Swannie :)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Smudge3920 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:54 pm Marcelo Bielsa believes in him, or at the least appears to, I do believe some players mature slower than other's, nobody in this forum has the vision or experience with players like MB...so if MB wants to keep him that is good enough for me, and personally I hope he stays,at the risk of repeating myself IMO he is worth it...the skill is there, we just have to be a little more patient, and at 22 a year or two more is worth the investment, as stated a replacement would cost a lot more.
By all accounts we are looking for someone who can play that role Roberts plays in anyway so he then is behind Dallas, Klich, Rodrigo and new player.

So he is 4th choice and 3rd choice for striker.

And then we have Greenwood and Gelhardt.

At some point we have to sell players and Roberts is well down the pecking order and a saleable asset?

I just dont get the desire some of you guys have to keep him.

We have young players coming through, we have players ahead of him in Mb's pecking order and we apparently will be looking to sign a 8/10 as well.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom