Marcelo Bielsa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Re: Marcelo Bielsa

Post by gessa »

Richard wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:51 pm Exactly mate, if we go straight back down I’d still support Bielsa as the man to get us back up but he is a coach, not a magician. If he spends £50m and gets us 12th it would be a great result. We need 3-4 players with a budget teams like City take as a gamble on a player.

Bielsa hasn’t a great record either with players who have a “personality” Izzy Brown, Nketiah, Augustin, Pontus he is an old fashioned world class coach but today’s modern player needs handling differently.

ANYONE in charge of this squad other than Bielsa and we’re relegated. My hope is that after one season Rads opens his eyes at how much it costs for success in the PL and he sells us to someone who has the funds to take us the next step. Rads isn’t a football fan, he is a business man, we need to always remember that.
Getting off to a good start is paramount, if we can do that, then the belief sets in,we could finish mid table, bad start and we could be down there all season but MB would be the only one I'd trust presently to get us out of it.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

gessa wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:58 pm Getting off to a good start is paramount, if we can do that, then the belief sets in,we could finish mid table, bad start and we could be down there all season but MB would be the only one I'd trust presently to get us out of it.
When we splash £25m on a new striker and we see him on the bench as Bamford starts, then we see Bamford miss a couple of sitters the haters will be out on day one
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:58 pm Getting off to a good start is paramount, if we can do that, then the belief sets in,we could finish mid table, bad start and we could be down there all season but MB would be the only one I'd trust presently to get us out of it.
Without any doubt :tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Richard wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:02 pm When we splash £25m on a new striker and we see him on the bench as Bamford starts, then we see Bamford miss a couple of sitters the haters will be out on day one
I might hate him if he does that :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Can you have a vast minority?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:19 pm Can you have a vast minority?
Definitely in my world.
hector

Post by hector »

gessa wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:24 pm Definitely in my world.
yeeeaaahhhhh............

least said about that the better :P :P

:lol: :lol:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Former Bristol City boss Lee Johnson has revealed that he watched back the Robins' opening weekend defeat to Leeds United 'at least 15 times'.

Marcelo Bielsa's side kicked off their season last August with an emphatic 3-1 win at Ashton Gate and would go on to win the Championship by ten points. Johnson was dismissed by City in July after a run of four successive defeats saw them miss out on the play-offs.

And it would appear that the defeat to Leeds to kick off the 2019-20 campaign left a huge impression on Johnson.

"I must have watched that game back about 15 times," Johnson told The Times. "I broke down every little section of it and it was good learning. Leeds are a good side with a world-class coach. What that Leeds side has the ability to do is almost read the minds of the opponents. They're so organised."

One of the areas Johnson believes Premier League-bound Bielsa excels in is 'positional psychology'.

"The first huge shock to me tactically was playing against Brendan Rodgers's Swansea [in 2011]. They were so organised in possession. I was everywhere the ball had just been" he recalled.

"I thought, 'This is ridiculous. I can't get near Leon Britton,' who three months before I'd absolutely destroyed in a game against Sheffield United. From that point I was hooked on the tactical side and positional psychology.

"All the top teams have this positional psychology that drains the opponent from their game very, very quickly. Marcelo Bielsa and Pep Guardiola are masters of positional psychology.

Johnson was the Championship's longest serving head coach when he was dismissed, with the Robins going on to end the campaign in 12th place. They are yet to appoint a successor, while Johnson says he is ready to return to the game and keen to utilise the experience he gained during four-and-a-half years at Ashton Gate.

"I've been very lucky so far to meet some very, very good coaches. Playing against Guardiola and then talking to him for 45 minutes just on football in the office. One of the nice things was he grilled me as much as I grilled him about tactics, formations, why we'd done this against them. He's relentless in the pursuit of excellence."
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

gessa wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:24 pm Definitely in my world.
yeeeaaahhhhh............

Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richard »

gessa wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:04 pm I might hate him if he does that :)
Bielsa is a very loyal man, if Bamford is not injured I’d be amazed if he doesn’t start. If Bamford starts and scores it will cement his place for 3-4 games. Nketiah and Augustin, say no more. We’re all feeling on cloud 9 at the moment and rightly so.

Bottom line is this current squad needs Bielsa but the Rads/Bielsa combination has one more year left in my opinion.
gessa

Post by gessa »

hector wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:29 pm yeeeaaahhhhh............

Tbf, it's mostly a nice place to be. :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Richard wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:33 pm Bielsa is a very loyal man, if Bamford is not injured I’d be amazed if he doesn’t start. If Bamford starts and scores it will cement his place for 3-4 games. Nketiah and Augustin, say no more. We’re all feeling on cloud 9 at the moment and rightly so.

Bottom line is this current squad needs Bielsa but the Rads/Bielsa combination has one more year left in my opinion.
Tbh, i think regardless of what happens this will be his last seadon, hope I'm wrong.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Richard wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:51 pm Bielsa hasn’t a great record either with players who have a “personality” Izzy Brown, Nketiah, Augustin, Pontus he is an old fashioned world class coach but today’s modern player needs handling differently.
Strange to use those you list as evidence against Bielsa dealing with players with 'personality.'

Izzy Brown was injured, on his recovery he had an injury which set back his recovery. As such he was never going to get anywhere near fit enough. Not Bielsa's fault and why would he throw in an unfit player in the crucial part of the season?

Nketiah was signed as a back-up to Bamford. Bamford had more training to play the role Bielsa needed from his number 9. No clash as Bielsa wanted him to stay and it looked like he turned Nketiah into a much more rounded player rather than a goal poacher.

JKA - hard to know what went on but the injury clearly didn't help.

PJ - Bielsa knows what he wants from players in every position. For all PJ is a decent enough defender he isn't as comfortable on the ball as White or Cooper (or even Berardi for that matter). Same as with the keeper Bielsa needs players comfortable on the ball. People see the Villa incident as being the problem but I see Bielsa simply not rating PJ's comfort on the ball.

World class players who have played under Bielsa rave about him. However there will always be footballers who fall out with managers no matter who the manager is. Take Bale at Madrid for example. Some players are just muppets.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

faaip wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:28 pm
That's hilarious 😂

Who'd have thought Pep and Bielsa would be in awe of the supercoach that is El Midgeto Lee Johnson.

We must pencil him in as MB's successor :roll:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

gessa wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:37 pm Tbh, i think regardless of what happens this will be his last seadon, hope I'm wrong.
I think he's very much bitten by the Leeds bug, as we all were a long time ago.

So, I think that loyalty will only grow in him if we can become established and progress in the Prem and Europe.

I'm an eternal optimist and hope that he'll stay with us for at least another ten years.

I think he's completely consumed by his love and passion for football, which is currently manifested on LUFC. He kind of reminds me of Revie, and dare I say it old red nose himself Fergie. So, I think he'll find it incredibly difficult to walk away from Leeds United.
gessa

Post by gessa »

White Riot wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:59 pm I think he's very much bitten by the Leeds bug, as we all were a long time ago.

So, I think that loyalty will only grow in him if we can become established and progress in the Prem and Europe.

I'm an eternal optimist and hope that he'll stay with us for at least another ten years.

I think he's completely consumed by his love and passion for football, which is currently manifested on LUFC. He kind of reminds me of Revie, and dare I say it old red nose himself Fergie. So, I think he'll find it incredibly difficult to walk away from Leeds United.

Hope you're right mate.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richard »

weasel wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:34 pm Strange to use those you list as evidence against Bielsa dealing with players with 'personality.'

Izzy Brown was injured, on his recovery he had an injury which set back his recovery. As such he was never going to get anywhere near fit enough. Not Bielsa's fault and why would he throw in an unfit player in the crucial part of the season?

Nketiah was signed as a back-up to Bamford. Bamford had more training to play the role Bielsa needed from his number 9. No clash as Bielsa wanted him to stay and it looked like he turned Nketiah into a much more rounded player rather than a goal poacher.

JKA - hard to know what went on but the injury clearly didn't help.

PJ - Bielsa knows what he wants from players in every position. For all PJ is a decent enough defender he isn't as comfortable on the ball as White or Cooper (or even Berardi for that matter). Same as with the keeper Bielsa needs players comfortable on the ball. People see the Villa incident as being the problem but I see Bielsa simply not rating PJ's comfort on the ball.

World class players who have played under Bielsa rave about him. However there will always be footballers who fall out with managers no matter who the manager is. Take Bale at Madrid for example. Some players are just muppets.
PJ asked for extra time off preseason and the Villa incident. Izzy felt he was fit enough, Bielsa didn’t agree, Izzy felt as a PL player he should have been selected. Augustin was the same, he felt he should be included. Bielsa likes a small squad, he doesn’t handle ‘characters’. Ask every PL team who they would want Nketiah or Bamford

Bielsa has worked wonders with a certain type of player but if we want to be better than just making up the PL numbers we need better. Look at his age, look at his career and ask why never a Barcelona
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Footballs a fickle game in it? I mean lose 5 or 6 games and everybody wants you gone. Bielsa can do no wrong in my eyes, he's no Revie, he was a true one off Don, He's no Howard, not yet anyway. I give him a target of 4th from bottom with anything else being a bonus. Who knows if we are still in the prem in 3 years time we should look to emulate Leicester city. Why not.

Enjoy Beilsa for all he's worth. He will be big shoes to fill.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

Richard wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:27 pm PJ asked for extra time off preseason and the Villa incident. Izzy felt he was fit enough, Bielsa didn’t agree, Izzy felt as a PL player he should have been selected. Augustin was the same, he felt he should be included. Bielsa likes a small squad, he doesn’t handle ‘characters’. Ask every PL team who they would want Nketiah or Bamford

Bielsa has worked wonders with a certain type of player but if we want to be better than just making up the PL numbers we need better. Look at his age, look at his career and ask why never a Barcelona
He managed Argentina. He managed Chile. I think he is a people person and adaptable enough. What he won't do is suffer players who are lazy or entitled. He expects work and commitment and he rewards it with loyalty and minutes. I have no issue with that, in fact I applaud it.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

No other manager wins the title by 10 points playing attacking football yet keeping the defence tight with this squad.

Firmly believe that.

MB worked a miracle last season and will forever be remembered for it.

Can it work in the Prem? Will the style over the individual be enough? Maybe, maybe not.

He isnt perfect, we will have a really bad run at some point same as last 2 seasons and he will stubbornly select certain players im sure.

I cant bring myself to say id be happy with 17th because i wouldn't. I dont think just not being one of the 3 worst teams is reason to celebrate.

However, at no point this season should MB be sacked, we wouldn't be promoted without him and sacking him may make things worse.

The style that covered individual weaknesses, take that away and it could be far worse.

MB is a legendary manager to me (to young to remember Wilko or Revie) and wouldn't ever want him sacked. Its vital we get transfers right to give us a chance and to give MB a chance, he has earned his season in the Prem.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom