Lionel Messi-Goated

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Lionel Messi

Post by Leeds1000 »

Messi, Britney Spears.... We have only been in the PL for one season.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

billie1 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:27 am I agree albeit I would put Brazil’s 1982 team of Socrates , Zico , Falcao , Eder etc in the same bracket as those two magnificent sides .
That’s the team that I think was the best I’ve seen. Didn’t see the ‘70 Brazilian team and only barely remember the Dutch team in ‘78.

The semifinal between Brazil and Italy is my favourite international game. I was hoping Brazil would go all the way. The skill, style and flair was unique. They were the Harlem Globetrotters of football. Having said that the Italians were also majestic and proved it by beating a very strong German team in the final.

The fatal mistake in the semifinal was getting Zico to take the penalty in the second half when he had just come on as a sub and hadn’t even touched the ball in play and, of course, not defending anything like the Italians did!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Good thread, many POVs, all respected and valid. :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:44 pm Loved that team. How they lost to Italy (or anyone) is still a mystery to me, Rossi's brilliance notwithstanding.
The 70 Brazil team trounced an Italian team superior to the 82 one... Most of the 70 team would have gotten in the 82 team. Certainly Pele, Rivelino, Carlos Alberto, Gerson, Jairzinho, Felix, Tostao. Leaving 4 places mostly defence for the 82 team
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Another 2 assists and a goal for Messi to help get Argentina to the Copa America semi final
That takes him to 4 goals and 4 assists for this tournament, he is the top goalscorer and top goal creator for the 2021 Copa America so far.

His 8 goal contributions are two times as many as 2nd placed Neymar.

He now holds the record for most goal contributions in major international tournament history overall.

Short of cloning its hard to see what more he could have done to make Argentina successful on the International stage.

Hope they win the Copa America.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Finally gets the major international trophy his talent deserves.

Argentina win the Copa America.

Beating Brazil in Brazil.

De Paul with the assist for Di Maria.

Messi named player of the tournament and thus becomes the first player in international history to be top scorer top assist provider and win player of the tournament.
Signed

King Cjay

Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:41 pm Finally gets the major international trophy his talent deserves.

Messi named player of the tournament and thus becomes the first player in international history to be top scorer top assist provider and win player of the tournament.
That was one tough, bitter game Cjay! Like a good derby game out of the1980’s! Good entertainment though. Pity we missed out on De Paul, he was very impressive and influential against top opposition.

Absolutely thrilled for Messi, and he celebrated it like it was the first Cup he ever won.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:41 pm Finally gets the major international trophy his talent deserves.

Hopefully that'll stop all "Ronaldo is better because of the Euros" nonsense now.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Official and confirmed, Lionel Messi will not be staying at Barcelona and is now actively seeking a new club with PSG in contact already.

La Liga would not allow Barcelona to register Messi as he would officially be a new player and as such Barcelona are banned from registering new players until they significantly reduce their wage bill.

Its the end of an era.

:(
Signed

King Cjay

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: Lionel Messi- Greatest free agent in history

Post by mothbanquet »

All I can say is...

Barca are well and truly fecked.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Boo Radley wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:18 pm That’s the team that I think was the best I’ve seen. Didn’t see the ‘70 Brazilian team and only barely remember the Dutch team in ‘78.

The semifinal between Brazil and Italy is my favourite international game. I was hoping Brazil would go all the way. The skill, style and flair was unique. They were the Harlem Globetrotters of football. Having said that the Italians were also majestic and proved it by beating a very strong German team in the final.

The fatal mistake in the semifinal was getting Zico to take the penalty in the second half when he had just come on as a sub and hadn’t even touched the ball in play and, of course, not defending anything like the Italians did!
Yeah, that semi between Italy and Brazil in 82 was absolutely thrilling, and that was a wonderful Brazil team, but Paolo Rossi was just too much for them. I also thought the quarter final between Brazil and Argentina was fantastic. Zico v Maradona, and Diego got a lesson in football that day ;-)

I still think the Dutch side in 74 and 78, playing total football, were the best for me. But I'm biased as I loved the way they played and was lucky enough to be there in Germany to see my favourite all time player Johan Cruyff at the 74 world cup finals strutting his stuff. But the Dutch, apart from 88, always seem to be a divided camp and find a way to scorn victory when it's in their own hands.

They were very unlucky in both of those finals against two strong sides, Germany and Argentina, both having home field advantage.

Great days for football and wonderful memories, even though I'm still gutted that Holland and Cruyff didn't win the World Cup twice.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:04 pm
Official and confirmed, Lionel Messi will not be staying at Barcelona and is now actively seeking a new club with PSG in contact already.

La Liga would not allow Barcelona to register Messi as he would officially be a new player and as such Barcelona are banned from registering new players until they significantly reduce their wage bill.

Its the end of an era.

:(
Hopefully, when Rodrigo leaves us it won't be the end of an error :)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Meanwhile, we've got knocked back by Conor Gallagher, and are cobbling a few coppers together to see if Huddersfield will accept 2.50 gbp and a box of Frosties for Lewis O'Brien :roll:
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Possibly Kane + Messi to add to Grealish its not been a bad summer for City if it comes off. You can throw all your pots and pans, medals and trophies in the bin... cos you have never won any of them fairly. If it was us tho we would be buzzing.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Leeds1000 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:28 am Possibly Kane + Messi to add to Grealish its not been a bad summer for City if it comes off. You can throw all your pots and pans, medals and trophies in the bin... cos you have never won any of them fairly. If it was us tho we would be buzzing.
Exactly, I would have loved Grealish as our 10, MB "Senor Grealish!, no dive, no dive, no dive, no maas" :lol:
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Ronaldo any day of the week
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Ferkin free agent and we still cant afford him ... :lol:
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

White Riot wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:19 am Hopefully, when Rodrigo leaves us it won't be the end of an error :)
Sadly I reckon Victor has a few more errors left in him yet
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

In a move that will shock no one, it looks like the richest player in history is just looking around to find the next club that will sustain his 2 million a week paycheck and will join the billionaires club at PSG.

It's probably why he is not, and never will be, revered like Maradona, who drove weak teams with average players to greatness at club and country level.