Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Re: Kalvin Phillips vs. Romania

Post by Orange Box »

Just so good to see him back in action and moving smoothly. That knock against WBA looked pretty bad
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Orange Box wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:18 pm Just so good to see him back in action and moving smoothly. That knock against WBA looked pretty bad
Whether Grady Diagana is moving smoothly following the tackle remains to be seen....
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: What the pundits/press/coaches are saying about Bielsa's Leeds

Post by Irish Ian »

I couldnt find the Kalvin Phillips thread.

How Marcelo Bielsa made ‘personal project’ Kalvin Phillips an England-ready midfielder

It is coming up to three years now since the evening at Swansea, only four Championship games into Marcelo Bielsa’s reign at Leeds United, when the coach decided to take drastic action. Leeds won the first three games of the season but after 28 minutes, they trailed Swansea and holding midfielder Kalvin Phillips was on a yellow card. Phillips was hooked and, considering these were the early and uncertain days of the Argentinian’s reign in Leeds, it would only have been natural for the player to wonder what may lie ahead.

As he sat on the bench at the Liberty Stadium, alongside Patrick Bamford and Jack Harrison, a serious leap of the imagination would have been required to think that Phillips could soon be a leading contender to anchor the England midfield at a major tournament.

Yet here he is, judged by Gareth Southgate to possess the quality in possession and dynamism without the ball to help make England tick. Much, of course, is down to Phillips’ own determination and dedication but this is a transformation turbocharged by the inspiring Bielsa. The Argentinian’s fingerprints are seen elsewhere in Gareth Southgate’s squad — Ben White was plucked from relative obscurity at Brighton to spend a season under Bielsa’s tutelage at Leeds and, one year on, now finds himself in contention for a place in the England defence. Elsewhere, it is only an embarrassment of riches in the right-back position and up front that has seen the consistency of Luke Ayling and Bamford overlooked after hugely impressive first seasons in the Premier League.

When White first stepped into the facilities at Leeds United’s Thorp Arch training ground two summers ago, he was pointed in the direction of the under-23s dressing room. Leeds’ sporting director Victor Orta had spotted him in a domestic cup fixture against Newport County and identified him as being capable of replacing Pontus Jansson, who was considered to be too disruptive by head coach Bielsa.

The coach challenged White, making him sharper, fitter and in the defender’s own words, to train “like it’s a game, like it’s the final of the World Cup”. At set pieces, Bielsa almost always charged White with marking the tallest opposing player. In training, he spent a couple of days a week performing drills in central midfield, learning from Phillips, to the extent that he coped admirably when Brighton manager Graham Potter asked him to play central midfield against Manchester City in a particularly impressive display this past season. White’s versatility, enhanced by the innovative Potter, was a major factor in ensuring he replaced Trent Alexander-Arnold in the England squad for Euro 2020, as he has experience across the back line and in holding midfield.

White and Phillips have both earned a place in Southgate’s squad (Photo: Eddie Keogh – The FA/The FA via Getty Images)
Those close to the Bielsa regime say that the coach finds time for every member of his squad. In the team hotel before a game, he holds a 15-minute individual meeting with each player but in Phillips, a source explains, “Marcelo saw a personal project.” He continues: “Marcelo views his players as buildings, or palaces, and he is the architect behind them.”

One coach who observed Phillips closely in the pre-Bielsa period at Leeds simply says the Argentinian has overseen a “transformation in the player’s mentality and understanding of the game”.

Leeds fans know by now that their players are weighed every morning, using a DEXA scan machine, which clearly details lean mass, fat mass and bone mass. Bielsa encourages a protein-heavy diet for much of the week, then ramps up the carbohydrate intake in the 24 hours before match day, and those who Bielsa does not consider fit enough simply do not play. One player who arrived several kilograms overweight into Bielsa’s first pre-season training camp never recovered his place in the Leeds team. In the case of Phillips, he had to work hard to conform to Bielsa’s demands for his physique. The odd beer or quick bit of fast food was quickly off the menu.

“Kalvin was on the end of maybe one of Bielsa’s most aggressive approaches,” one well-placed source explains. “The coach is exceptionally demanding, particularly about his weight, and he pushes him very hard every day. If a player edges over the precipice of the manager’s required average, he is sent to do extra work on a bike with a sport scientist.”

The fitness requirements extend beyond the vanity of a toned physique and rippling biceps for Phillips. Bielsa believes that his ideal player in the No 4 position must have both the endurance to cover significant ground but also the capability to perform the many short sprints required to receive the ball and add pace to Leeds’ build-up play. Bielsa told his players that Leeds’ “offensive game changes” when Phillips receives the ball. That is why the analysts in the Leeds backroom staff have been ordered to produce numerous clips specifically for Phillips each week, aimed at enhancing the midfielder’s movement and positioning.

Indeed, Phillips is one of the few players for whom Bielsa sometimes hosts more than one meeting in the pre-match hotel. During those conversations, Bielsa explains, in intricate detail, the runs, movements and vision Phillips must demonstrate to dictate, break up and switch the play, drop in between the two centre-backs and take risks in possession. There are still moments when Bielsa becomes frustrated, such as that evening against Swansea, and it is because he has repeatedly explained what the player needs to do and, as human beings, sometimes even Bielsa’s machines falter. “But even that night against Swansea,” a source explains, “it was clear that Bielsa forgets about it by the next day. It is not about holding grudges.”

Bielsa’s quest for perfection is by now legendary, for a man who has a bed and kitchen installed for himself at the training ground, who obsesses over the length of grass on the training pitches and who, for a while in his first season, had the goalposts suspended off the ground as he argued this would provide a more equal distribution of sunlight across the turf.

This summer, Bielsa has remained in Yorkshire, often stopping by the Leeds training ground to check in on the building developments. In his spare time, he popped along to coach a local under-11 team in Leeds and introduced the kids to his unique brand of “Murderball”, a high-octane training drill.

Bielsa has been known to make similar selfless gestures before, such as in March 2008, when he was Chile manager heading to a match between Universidad Catolica and River Plate to watch Alexis Sanchez. As he walked to the stadium, he saw two children playing football on the street and gave them his tickets. When Bielsa commits, he goes all-in, builds authentic bonds with his local community. He makes a point of ensuring that either he or his assistants respond to letters from admirers around the world. When a Jewish Leeds fan wrote to invite Bielsa to a traditional Friday night dinner at their family home, Bielsa phoned up, politely declined, but then spent time discussing football with the supporter’s Spanish-speaking nephew.

At Athletic Bilbao, he visited a local nunnery as part of his research into creating tight-knit groups between footballers — many Bielsa players will attest that their monastic abstinence is required to cope with his demands — and on his way out, Bielsa is said to have asked the nuns to pray for his team.

When not training Yorkshire’s next generation of talent, Bielsa is building up a dossier of information from Euro 2020. Following the World Cup in 2018, Bielsa asked his staff to study every goal scored in the competition, and then demonstrate training drills that could directly relate to both creating and preventing the goal.

The idea is that players can relate more closely to goals scored in a major tournament and it demonstrates the potential final product of the drills. By keeping sessions fresh, innovative and relatable, Bielsa has maintained standards for three seasons and the progression was underlined by the way Leeds finished the campaign: of their final 11 games, they won seven and lost just one. They conceded only eight goals, averaging 0.72 per game, after averaging 1.7 goals conceded per game during their first 27 matches of the campaign.

In the case of Phillips, however, the challenge extends beyond video analysis and attention-to-detail as Bielsa’s man-management encourages his player to imagine the game differently, and imbues the player with fresh belief.
Speaking to The Athletic last summer, Phillips explained: “When the manager first came in, we had a meeting where he went through the names of each player telling us which number we’d be wearing. Obviously, I thought I was going to be No 8 or something like that, but when he got to me he said No 4. It surprised me because it hadn’t crossed my mind that I might be playing there. After that meeting, he told me he wanted me to be a defensive-mid and that I’d have to get better defensively and in the air. I started working on it straight away. Up until then, I probably thought of myself as box-to-box. If you’d asked me, that’s what I would have said. I wasn’t a defender and I didn’t think of myself as one. I’d scored a few goals in the previous season. So when I first got told to play defensive-mid I thought, ‘What’s going on here then?'”

Phillips worked on his game: during Leeds’ promotion-winning season he recorded the squad’s most tackles per game and was highly ranked for interceptions, passes, touches and pass accuracy. It speaks volumes for his form in the Championship that England manager Gareth Southgate had first considered calling Phillips up in February and March 2020, shortly before the COVID-19 lockdowns put paid to international football.

In the Premier League, he formed a crucial cog in the Leeds midfield and he is now an established part of the England squad. Off the field, his development continues apace. He is not one of the most vocal forces in the Leeds dressing room — Liam Cooper, Stuart Dallas and Ayling remain the figures most likely to provoke their team-mates into improvement — but his attitude and positive personality are infectious. Bielsa particularly values the role he plays in encouraging the many young players who participate in first-team training sessions, where Phillips, as an academy product, takes it upon himself to welcome newcomers into the group. There’s often a significant number of under-23 or under-18 players involved, as some Bielsa sessions require 33 players spread across three playing pitches.

As for White, his evolution continues to accelerate. After an authoritative display in the warm-up win over Romania, White was under consideration to start the first game of the tournament against Croatia in the absence of Harry Maguire. Despite signing a new contract at Brighton last summer, serious interest remains. Arsenal would like to wrap a deal up for a fee between £40-50 million in the coming weeks, but Manchester United, Chelsea and Leicester have all already watched the defender closely. Liverpool scout Andy O’Brien, formerly a player at Newcastle, Bolton and Leeds, spent several months observing White in the Championship for Leeds but the club’s deal for defender Ibrahima Konate would make a deal unlikely for Jurgen Klopp’s side this summer.

It must all feel a world away from that first week at Leeds when White briefly feared he would not be able to rise to challenge. His mum Carole explained: “The first week, he was on the phone to me saying, ‘I don’t know if I’m going to be up to this, Mum’ but he kept saying he was determined to do it. He does not give in. His centre-back partner, Liam Cooper, spoke to him and said, ‘Dig in and you’ll be fine’.

A source close to Bielsa recalls of White’s progress: “He was not struggling but learning. There is no better finishing school than Bielsa’s.”
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Best player on the pitch who produced a magnificent performance in the biggest game of his career. Leeds fans know all too well about his ability, but today the World stood up and took notice. Beaming with pride.

Kalvin Phillips vs. Croatia:

44 touches
94% pass accuracy
31/33 successful passes
7 ball recoveries
4 duels won
3/3 successful long passes
2 successful take-ons
1 tackle won
1 interception
1 assist

Magnificent performance and provided the all-important assist at Wembley. :love:
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Re: Kalvin Phillips vs. Croatia

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

Added a few more millions to his transfer fee.Surely some foreign clubs will be testing the market soon.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

1964white wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:18 pm Best player on the pitch who produced a magnificent performance in the biggest game of his career. Leeds fans know all too well about his ability, but today the World stood up and took notice. Beaming with pride.

Kalvin Phillips vs. Croatia:

44 touches
94% pass accuracy
31/33 successful passes
7 ball recoveries
4 duels won
3/3 successful long passes
2 successful take-ons
1 tackle won
1 interception
1 assist

Magnificent performance and provided the all-important assist at Wembley. :love:
If you recall not too long after I joined the forum Leon , I stated to you about Kalvin how he reminded me so much of Sir Bobby Moore, his demeanor, the way he strips balls from opponents so effortlessly and his control of the midfield... every game he plays just reinforces my thoughts about him...he will be England Captain to boot before to long ...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:14 pm Added a few more millions to his transfer fee.Surely some foreign clubs will be testing the market soon.
I sincerely hope not.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:23 pm If you recall not too long after I joined the forum Leon , I stated to you about Kalvin how he reminded me so much of Sir Bobby Moore, his demeanor, the way he strips balls from opponents so effortlessly and his control of the midfield... every game he plays just reinforces my thoughts about him...he will be England Captain to boot before to long ...
I do remember Smudge.

I noticed the difference in Kalvin as a player as soon as Bielsa took control at ER, Phillips improvement is quite simply phenomenal over the last three years.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:14 pm Added a few more millions to his transfer fee.Surely some foreign clubs will be testing the market soon.
I always thought Kalvin was more of a European player than an English one. I think he wouldn't look out of place for Spain or the Netherlands.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

SG90 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:04 pm I always thought Kalvin was more of a European player than an English one. I think he wouldn't look out of place for Spain or the Netherlands.
English through and through... would he improve those teams, without a doubt...Just as the England team will now have a true leader (again) in the not to distant future.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

1964white wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:58 pm I do remember Smudge.

I noticed the difference in Kalvin as a player as soon as Bielsa took control at ER, Phillips improvement is quite simply phenomenal over the last three years.
How many lifes has MB changed in his 3 years here, the man is a savante in seeing potential in people...
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:25 pm How many lifes has MB changed in his 3 years here, the man is a savante in seeing potential in people...
Let's not mention the lives of the fans as well Smudge :)
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: What the pundits/press/coaches are saying about Bielsa's Leeds

Post by Carrick Dave »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:35 pm I couldnt find the Kalvin Phillips thread.

How Marcelo Bielsa made ‘personal project’ Kalvin Phillips an England-ready midfielder

Great read that Ian, really enjoyed it. :clap: :clap:
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:23 pm Let's not mention the lives of the fans as well Smudge :)
:tup:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

You know what is annoying, after that performance all the entitled 6 fans are clamouring to sign KP.

Fair enough.

But the primary motivation aside from that performance seems to be that he would be cheap compared to other targets like Declan Rice.

It doesnt seem to have come to the attention of other clubs that we arent a distressed seller anymore.

We have been back in the EPL for one season and we are likely already financially a top 10 club.

We have recently welcomed a fan onto the board whose wealth alone dwarfs that of the majority of the league and with our other shareholders we are in the top 4.

The idea that KP or Raph for that matter would come cheap is a joke and shows how little the Entitled 6 fans know about life outside of their bubbles.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

80M Kalvin, 75M Raph current value. But it still wouldn't be worth our while to sell at that
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Any thought of Kalvin leaving - no matter how much money is offered - should be dismissed out of hand.

He is the very face of the club. He, more than any other player, defines what Leeds United have become. A Yorkshire lad, up through the academy, subjugated his own ego to buy into Bielsa’s program, committed fully (placing side before self), and succeeded beyond anyone’s expectations.

All Leeds, isn’t he. To see Kalvin in any other kit is too horrible to even imagine.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

There's a lovely interview with Kalvin on BBC Sports app talking about the Croatia game and ice cream or pick and mix (sorry, dont know how to post it up )
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:01 pm There's a lovely interview with Kalvin on BBC Sports app talking about the Croatia game and ice cream or pick and mix (sorry, dont know how to post it up )
Let me help
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »