Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:31 pm Fabrizio romano seems to think PSG offered more money but KP only wanted to join Man City . . . Selfish
I do think he's become big pals with Grealish whilst on England duty....probably been tapped up
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Good luck to Kalvin, his time had come to an end at Leeds and it was up to the club to hold out for more money and failed, no reflection on him.

My main concern is that Arsenal will now feel they can lowball their second bid and we’ll accept it.

Additionally, any club we approach for a player will add £10m to their asking price - and we’re already seeing players like de Keteleara dismissing Leeds s a potential destination out of hand.

I’m getting seriously worried now that whoever we end up with
we will look like ducks out of water when the season starts, hope I’m wrong.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:59 am When you remember that Orta and co have pissed away £101 million on Rodrigo, JKA, Llorente, James and Firpo then it's easy to understand why they are desperate to flog KP and Raphinha to the first bidder.

Out meagre funds have generally been invested very poorly. Hence, we're having to flog our prize assets to improve a squad that is inadequate at this level.

Let's hope these clowns get it right this time.
At present we haven't had to pay the transfer fee for JKA, as such we've p*ssed some away on the loan fee, wages etc but hopefully no more or will reach some agreement.

Llorente for £18m is a decent enough deal, I'd rathe have him than Maguire. He's done reasonably well and considering how many different playing partners he has had then it is to be expected that sometimes he has struggled. I would say reasonable value for money in this day and age.

James and Firpo will hopefully kick on in their second season with us. Too early to write off and James playing in a role that suits him has a lot to offer.

Rodrigo. Yes he's underperformed but still has got 13 goals during his time with us. Players have done far worse. I think the main trouble has been that we've not really had a position that suits him. Maybe next season we will have a formation that suits him better.

So yes whilst we have wasted money to some degree I wouldn't say as much was wasted as the amount you state. As an example if we'd paid say £15m for Rodrigo we'd probably be saying that his 13 goals has been an okay return.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:29 pm I do think he's become big pals with Grealish whilst on England duty....probably been tapped up
Yep, Grealish will have flashed his EPL winners medal at him and KP will have been like :love:

Championship winner's medal ain't gonna cut it ;-)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

onemoreslogan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:18 pm Having slept on it I suspect Kalvin had a say in where he was willing to go and Man City was it. I mean, it sounds like he wanted to stay in England and wants to play Champions League football. That tightens the market. Only Citeh have a glaring need at his position among the top PL clubs. So they likely had us over a barrel.

But fair play to Kalvin. He re signed with Leeds after the Championship Derby Debacle, saw us up and his selling price went up with it so I don't feel he owes us any favors. I wish him nothing but the best.

And, as several have already mentioned, with his injuries there's a real possibility he never recaptures the form that won him a place on the England squad.

All that said, it hurts to see him go. I feel his worth to Leeds is more than 42 mil and a punt on an 18 year old.
They have Rodri don't they?....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:29 pm I do think he's become big pals with Grealish whilst on England duty....probably been tapped up
Probably right Swannie.

Once KP starting mixing in the England setup the writing was on the wall.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:01 pm Batting their lashes and fanning themselves like a couple of southern belles!!! :lol:
Southern Belle-ends :(
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Siqu wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:23 pm Agreed. As a local leeds lad it meant a huge deal when kalvin burst through via bielsa and stormed the england team.
Or when he publicly said he wouldnt go to man u as he understood the club rivalry etc...maybe im old fashioned but that loyalty meant a lot. At this rate the murals around town will newd covering up quicker than theyre done!

Bielsa goes and in came marsch
Kalvin goes and In his place 10m roca??
Similarly when alioski went we get firpo
White loan ends and we put in koch
Roofe goes we land augustin

Just got a bad feeling were in real damger of replacing class with trash
Still got Orta 😱🚽😭😧
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sky Sports News understands, out of loyalty to Leeds, the only club he would have joined was Manchester City and he has turned down approaches from other clubs.
How does that help Leeds? He basically cut his own price and allowed Man City to bid unchallenged. Nothing loyal about that
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:31 pm Fabrizio romano seems to think PSG offered more money but KP only wanted to join Man City . . . Selfish
I wonder if the PSG bid was more a case of AR trying to push up KP's price and that PSG weren't really interested but that AR asked the PSG owners, who he is apparently friendly with to pretend to bid. A bit similar to how Angus Kinnear likely got West Ham to make their supposed bids in January for the pair.

It may be that City were the only club really interested in KP hence we couldn't instigate a bidding war.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:10 am Why do we keep signing children instead of men.....FFS :rant:
We aren't signing children instead of men we are signing both and that is a huge difference. I doubt us signing this player has any negative effect on us signing first team players too.

Seems highly rated having captained both England and City's U16 teams and regularly playing in age groups above him and I can see him being a lot closer to our first team than any of our other U23 midfielders. A lot harder to break into City's team than ours and even Foden had to bide his time - whereas Sancho at a similar age and level opted to move abroad and went straight into Dortmund's starting team.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Sky Sports News understands, out of loyalty to Leeds, the only club he would have joined was Manchester City and he has turned down approaches from other clubs.

Jesus. Footballers are dumb. Does he not pay someone to sit down and explain to him that that just makes no sense.

"Out of loyalty to Leeds, he left Leeds. But he went to the club he wanted to go to and turned down clubs he didn't want to go to...because he's loyal"

He doesn't need to insult our intelligence as he races out the door.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

faaip wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:48 pm How does that help Leeds? He basically cut his own price and allowed Man City to bid unchallenged. Nothing loyal about that
I agree, I just wanted us to get top dollar for him and couldn't care less where he prefers to go and where he ended up as long as we got big bucks.

If he wanted to go to Scum and they were the highest bidder then I would be good with that, and if he wanted to kiss their badge and sing I love Scum then I'm also good with that too.

Good luck to him, but I'm a Leeds supporter not a KP supporter, he's no longer part of us.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Mountain wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:18 pm Sky Sports News understands, out of loyalty to Leeds, the only club he would have joined was Manchester City and he has turned down approaches from other clubs.

Jesus. Footballers are dumb. Does he not pay someone to sit down and explain to him that that just makes no sense.

"Out of loyalty to Leeds, he left Leeds. But he went to the club he wanted to go to and turned down clubs he didn't want to go to...because he's loyal"

He doesn't need to insult our intelligence as he races out the door.
Well you know footballers are thick Mountain ;-)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

For my twopennorth, we are getting an awful lot of brass for phillips, he isn't that good amyway imho, thats not being nasty towards him, I just never rated him, if it wasn't for bielsa he would probably be laking in division one.
He had a couple of very good seasons for us and one very good tournament with England, for a home grown player we have smashed it financially, yes, I would have thought the club would sell out cheapish, but, over £40million is massive to us, no, I can't quite work out how another player is worth say £60million and phillips isn't, but, we have let him go with the first cheeky bid to city because he wouldn't go anywhere else, as long as the money is used properly, and I have my doubts, then good luck to our injury prone midfielder.
Now , do we sell raph for £28 million ??
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Clacton White wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:44 pm Still got Orta 😱🚽😭😧
Yep, it's like needing to go for a shite and remembering you've got hemorrhoids :cry:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:32 pm For my twopennorth, we are getting an awful lot of brass for phillips, he isn't that good amyway imho, thats not being nasty towards him, I just never rated him, if it wasn't for bielsa he would probably be laking in division one.
He had a couple of very good seasons for us and one very good tournament with England, for a home grown player we have smashed it financially, yes, I would have thought the club would sell out cheapish, but, over £40million is massive to us, no, I can't quite work out how another player is worth say £60million and phillips isn't, but, we have let him go with the first cheeky bid to city because he wouldn't go anywhere else, as long as the money is used properly, and I have my doubts, then good luck to our injury prone midfielder.
Now , do we sell raph for £28 million ??
I fooking hope not MC :x

City have had our pants down imo, but you do make some fair points about KP mate :tup:

Imagine if you'd given Orta 101 million squid and said "Get some quality in Victor lad", would you be happy if he landed up with JKA, Llorente, Rodders, James and Firpo?

Cos I'm not :x
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

weasel wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:02 pm We aren't signing children instead of men we are signing both and that is a huge difference. I doubt us signing this player has any negative effect on us signing first team players too.

Seems highly rated having captained both England and City's U16 teams and regularly playing in age groups above him and I can see him being a lot closer to our first team than any of our other U23 midfielders. A lot harder to break into City's team than ours and even Foden had to bide his time - whereas Sancho at a similar age and level opted to move abroad and went straight into Dortmund's starting team.
I do hope you're right weasel. We seemed littered with under 23 signings over the past couple of seasons
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Put it this way, if we were paying £42m for KP i'd be fuming.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:51 pm Put it this way, if we were paying £42m for KP i'd be fuming.
Interesting take on it Kenny