Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Kalvin Phillips ***Rumoured KP out until the end of March***

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:31 pm Just had a look.

Last season KP has 3 injury spells plus two suspensions.
Already he has missed 6 of our 24 games..

For someone we rely on so much that is a serous issue.

Perhaps we do need to spend money in replacing him in the long run.
Thank you Ian

We have a similar problem with a replacement for Paddy right now, god help us if we lose Bamford

The spine of a team is so important!
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:18 pm Point is Boo we are better than all those teams below us but somehow they have more luck than we do.
I think if you spoke to the fans of those teams they'd disagree and say they've had little luck, as would those above us.
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:25 pm But we can afford six wingers in the squad (well they were when we signed them)

Needs addressing in the summer!
We looked at DePaul and Cuisance but didn't get either, so I think they know there's a problem but we're not just going to sign anyone. Most on here and elsewhere at the end of last season were saying we need 2 CB'S as priority, we got those, obviously been very unlucky with injuries with those. Our club can only do so much on the budget we have, in all likelihood if we'd have got either of the 2 above we wouldn't have got Raphinha as the budget would have been blown. It's not always as straightforward as it seems.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:31 pm Just had a look.

Last season KP has 3 injury spells plus two suspensions.
Already he has missed 6 of our 24 games..

For someone we rely on so much that is a serous issue.

Perhaps we do need to spend money in replacing him in the long run.
We definitely need someone but who and are they willing to come. I think some of our fans forget we're not the draw for players we once were, we've been out of the top flight since before some of these players started school. I'm sure the problem will get addressed in the summer but I don't think they'll want to sign just anyone. It will be someone as Billy said that will have to be able to play that position amongst others.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

A potential solution could be finding a player who can cover defensive midfield or at least has the qualities needed.

Defensive skills, positional sense, passing range.

But who could also potentially replace Klich in time given he is in his 30s now.

So sign an 8 and a 4 in one?

As for who ive said who id get.

Nahitan Nandez, already said hed like to play for us or rather Bielsa.

Only 25.

Has played for a few seasons in Serie A.

Can play cm or right wing but has played defensive midfield.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/playe ... is-tactics

Also Cagliari are in danger of being relegated which should bring his £30mil tag down.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

It's a position that needs a player able to drop back into a 3 and even drop back further to play the sweeper, a good ball playing CB would be ideal and Llorente seems custom made. I'm not even convinced we bought him to play CB except in a 3. He's right footed as is Koch. My guess is Struijk is our left sided CB next season with Koch right. Phillips/Llorente/Klich/Shackleton will cover the 4/8 positions
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Llorente fit for the bench on Friday wasn't he?.
He is capable of the defensive midfield role play him.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He might be good for 60 minutes but he's not match fit by a distance.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

faaip wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:00 pm It's a position that needs a player able to drop back into a 3 and even drop back further to play the sweeper, a good ball playing CB would be ideal and Llorente seems custom made. I'm not even convinced we bought him to play CB except in a 3. He's right footed as is Koch. My guess is Struijk is our left sided CB next season with Koch right. Phillips/Llorente/Klich/Shackleton will cover the 4/8 positions
I think Llorente could play the position well just not sure is body would hold up to the commitment needed tho. For me Dallas is the logical option as he seems to have that defencive mindset needed. Shack, Klich not for me.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

gessa wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:37 pm We definitely need someone but who and are they willing to come. I think some of our fans forget we're not the draw for players we once were, we've been out of the top flight since before some of these players started school. I'm sure the problem will get addressed in the summer but I don't think they'll want to sign just anyone. It will be someone as Billy said that will have to be able to play that position amongst others.
Which is why its important to finish as high as we can. We've got more chance of signing top quality players if we can finish around 8th-10th than if we finish just above the bottom three.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:32 pm We looked at DePaul and Cuisance but didn't get either, so I think they know there's a problem but we're not just going to sign anyone. Most on here and elsewhere at the end of last season were saying we need 2 CB'S as priority, we got those, obviously been very unlucky with injuries with those. Our club can only do so much on the budget we have, in all likelihood if we'd have got either of the 2 above we wouldn't have got Raphinha as the budget would have been blown. It's not always as straightforward as it seems.
I know it's a gradual plan mate.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:23 pm He might be good for 60 minutes but he's not match fit by a distance.
Best to introduce Llorente slowly this time.

Cooper & Struijk doing a decent job atm
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:41 pm Which is why its important to finish as high as we can. We've got more chance of signing top quality players if we can finish around 8th-10th than if we finish just above the bottom three.
:tup: :tup: :tup:

We also gain more dosh the higher we finish.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

faaip wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:23 pm He might be good for 60 minutes but he's not match fit by a distance.
60 mins it is then .. He isn't getting match fit strolling around in the 23's.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Bielsa said after the Arsenal game, when questioned about moving Struijk there, he doesn’t class Dallas as being able to play as DM.
Like a few on here, I’d have thought he could.

Perhaps he sees something on a day to day basis that says no.
DanLUFCMOT
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by DanLUFCMOT »

Anymore news on this one? I rate him highly, and is crucial to our transition through the pitch.

Thanks guys.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DanLUFCMOT wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:51 pm Anymore news on this one? I rate him highly, and is crucial to our transition through the pitch.

Thanks guys.
Welcome to MOT Dan :tup:
DanLUFCMOT
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by DanLUFCMOT »

Thanks mate, love some of the topics. I can see I've got some reading to do.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DanLUFCMOT wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:56 pm Thanks mate, love some of the topics. I can see I've got some reading to do.
Enjoy Dan :tup:
DanLUFCMOT
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by DanLUFCMOT »

Thanks pal