Patrick Bamford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Patrick Bamford

Post by Smudge3920 »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:17 pm Bamford surprised most of the Leeds fan base this season.
I think most of us expected Rodrigo to be ahead of him but what does Bamford do? Scores in the first three games of the season. Hard to drop a striker who does that.
I think Bielsa has what he considers a model player, someone who genuinely wants to improve his game and who will do everything the manager wants of him.
However he doesn't create enough for others and I think that that could on the long run see him usurped at Leeds.
Have to disagree I am afraid...he creates lots for others with his play by drawing away defenders, he has what 5 assists, unselfishly for a striker with a couple... 2 really bad var offside decisions against him...he could very easily be on 20 gioals this year , but as you say a model team player ...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:33 pm I still don't see a top premiership player there. But I'll keep shtum because I know I can't argue that here without recourse. I know I've tried
I agree actually i dont think he is a top Premier league striker.

I dont think his finishing is good enough.

But how much do you pay for a top Premier league striker now?

£50,60,70,80mil?

How many top level Premier league players do we have in truth?

Raph?

Probably about it really atm.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 pm Have to disagree I am afraid...he creates lots for others with his play by drawing away defenders, he has what 5 assists, unselfishly for a striker with a couple... 2 really bad var offside decisions against him...he could very easily be on 20 gioals this year , but as you say a model team player ...
Bielsa said the same about him.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:29 pm I agree actually i dont think he is a top Premier league striker.

£50,60,70,80mil?

Raph?

I think Llorente and Koch would play in most Prem sides Cjay. As would Phillips.

As for Bamford the quality of some of his goals this season have been top drawer, Leicester away, Villa are the best I can recall.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Cjay wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:29 pm I agree actually i dont think he is a top Premier league striker.

£50,60,70,80mil?

Raph?

His finishing could indeed be a little sharper... Spuds have 3 top class rated strikers in Bale, Kane and Son...yet we taught them a master class at the week end ..Paddy scored... and Rodrigo as a sub our only two strikers...son was their only one on the sheet, other two totally shut down...not always about the strikers
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I'm going with the middle road here. I like the bloke and 15 goals (so far) is a great return for our first season back, given the 20-goal marker is generally seen as the minimum benchmark for excellence. If he improves on his tally next season should we strengthen the service he gets, it's going to be harder and harder to deny his quality.

I do think there are better strikers out there but we're talking European place-quality. That's a narrow bracket. I think it's too early to say yet whether other strikers would be better or worse considering all the non-finishing parts of the position that's required but I do think it's safe to say that there are positions in far, far greater need of upgrading than his in the short term.

Also, I do believe Gelhardt is being groomed to be his successor. I don't think we'll be buying anyone in unless Bamford leaves voluntarily.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

Currently in the top 6 in the scoring charts add to that he has more assists than the others (apart from Kane) .
Only taken one penalty so his total doesn't have as much of a boost like some of the others.
Last edited by whiteroseboy on Mon May 10, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

His value has never been higher than it is now tbh. I'd keep unless we got a crazy bid, like £30m+. Bring in Aguero for a year, then bring in Gelhardt and Greenwood the following season.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:33 pm I still don't see a top premiership player there. But I'll keep shtum because I know I can't argue that here without recourse. I know I've tried
And I thought you were warming to Paddy mate.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:39 pm His finishing could indeed be a little sharper... Spuds have 3 top class rated strikers in Bale, Kane and Son...yet we taught them a master class at the week end ..Paddy scored... and Rodrigo as a sub our only two strikers...son was their only one on the sheet, other two totally shut down...not always about the strikers
Spurs had 3 class trikers but that is about all they do score or assist. I think you could easily add 5 goals to PB in terms of what his overall game adds to this Leeds side, same as with Harrison really you could have players in the same position who score/create more but don't do the stuff that Harrison does to help the team. Take Harrison and Bamford out of the team and replace them with Bale and Kane and yes you get more goals but would the Bielsa machine be stronger or weaker?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

weasel wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:25 pm Spurs had 3 class trikers but that is about all they do score or assist. I think you could easily add 5 goals to PB in terms of what his overall game adds to this Leeds side, same as with Harrison really you could have players in the same position who score/create more but don't do the stuff that Harrison does to help the team. Take Harrison and Bamford out of the team and replace them with Bale and Kane and yes you get more goals but would the Bielsa machine be stronger or weaker?
An interesting hypothetical.

While I'm not calling for that to happen (although I rate Kane very highly), unless they were prepared to play BielsaBall, they wouldn't make the team.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:48 pm An interesting hypothetical.

While I'm not calling for that to happen (although I rate Kane very highly), unless they were prepared to play BielsaBall, they wouldn't make the team.
Go on then, why? :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

A model pro, on and off the pitch, a crucial element of the Bielsa project. Leeds have been fortunate with strikers over the last decade, Beckford, Becchio, McCormack, Wood and now Bamford. Unlike the first 4, at long last we can afford to hang on to one of them, and the one whose goals took us up and established us in the top tier. If rumours are true and Leeds have pinned him down to a contract extension, it's great news.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

For the life of me, I can’t understand how anyone thinks Paddy is not a PL striker. He’s the sixth- leading scorer in the league, plus he does a world of things no other striker is called upon to do.

There isn’t another striker on the planet who would do everything Bielsa demands as enthusiastically as Paddy.

I always thought he’d be better in the EPL as he’d have more room in which to operate, but he’s delivered beyond anything we could have hoped for.

We could use a backup for him, but why on earth would we want to spend the money required to bring in someone who might get us four or five more goals over 40 games but could never do all the other things Bamford does?
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Mountain wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:22 pm A model pro, on and off the pitch, a crucial element of the Bielsa project. Leeds have been fortunate with strikers over the last decade, Beckford, Becchio, McCormack, Wood and now Bamford. Unlike the first 4, at long last we can afford to hang on to one of them, and the one whose goals took us up and established us in the top tier. If rumours are true and Leeds have pinned him down to a contract extension, it's great news.
:tup: :tup:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

John in Louisiana wrote:
For the life of me, I can’t understand how anyone thinks Paddy is not a PL striker. He’s the sixth- leading scorer in the league, plus he does a world of things no other striker is called upon to do.

There isn’t another striker on the planet who would do everything Bielsa demands as enthusiastically as Paddy.

I always thought he’d be better in the EPL as he’d have more room in which to operate, but he’s delivered beyond anything we could have hoped for.

We could use a backup for him, but why on earth would we want to spend the money required to bring in someone who might get us four or five more goals over 40 games but could never do all the other things Bamford does?
Great post John. He's not only a great striker and team player but his intelligence and articulation show through at every interview.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:11 am For the life of me, I can’t understand how anyone thinks Paddy is not a PL striker. He’s the sixth- leading scorer in the league, plus he does a world of things no other striker is called upon to do.

Excellent summarization John :tup:

I'm always concerned when Paddy is subbed during the game as his work rate is often missed & we are under the cosh defensively once he leaves the pitch.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

becchio bear wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:32 pm Go on then, why? :bear:
He is skilful, he works hard, he scores goals, he creates chances.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:47 am He is skilful, he works hard, he scores goals, he creates chances.
Ok you've described Bamford, I asked your opinion on Kane :P :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

becchio bear wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 am Ok you've described Bamford, I asked your opinion on Kane :P :bear:
Off to your own shed you go :P