Dan James

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Dan James

Post by The Subhuman »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:04 pm So you think we're ok in CM and didn't need to strengthen ? Genuine question.

If so can you explain why teams are constantly carving us up through the middle of the park.
We need a CMF, and I think we tried real hard to get one but we couldn't bring it in. That would be my guess.. Again this is not supermarket shopping nor is it Championship manager which most fans seem to think is how it works
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:58 pm Did you think Raph would be moved inside as an AMF when we bought him as winger?
If so could you tell me the winning lottery tickets for next week! :)

My point was why did we need to spend the 25M on another winger when we are crying out for a CM.
This has been mooted ever since James arrived

We shall see if it happens when all three of them are available.

Re CM. We tried Cuisance, the lad who went to Palace on loan and Obrein. Neither worked out.

Personally I would like a move made for someone in the winter window with an eye on next season.

But we will see.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:04 pm So you think we're ok in CM and didn't need to strengthen ? Genuine question.

If so can you explain why teams are constantly carving us up through the middle of the park.
And where did you get the idea that Bielsa signed James instead of a CM?

Did you think that Bielsa was given a choice between James and the new Zidane (who you haven't identified, incidentally) and he just decided on James on a whim?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:16 pm We need a CMF, and I think we tried real hard to get one but we couldn't bring it in. That would be my guess.. Again this is not supermarket shopping nor is it Championship manager which most fans seem to think is how it works
What for 12months we couldn't identify a single midfielder who fitted what we needed and bring them in?

If that is the case our recruitment team needs an overhaul.

We failed to get a key position this summer, no arguments imo, no excuses, that was a failure and the fact the club panicked and we had Radz pushing the Forshaw line tells me they know they made a massive mistake.

I am amazed that fans would defend the club on that, it doesnt make you any less of a fan to fairly criticise the club on occasion, and this is one of those times.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

faaip wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:16 pm We need a CMF, and I think we tried real hard to get one but we couldn't bring it in. That would be my guess.. Again this is not supermarket shopping nor is it Championship manager which most fans seem to think is how it works
I appreciate that Faaip but surely it's Victor Orta's job to identify players and persuade them that we are the right club for them to sign?
I've got a lot of respect for VO but we've needed a cm for a while now and ended up with another winger.
I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a cm available who we could have bought for 25M.

I'm not knocking James btw, he may turn out to be a superstar, I'm just saying with our limited resources the money could have been been spent in the areas that we needed it most.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:08 am I appreciate that Faaip but surely it's Victor Orta's job to identify players and persuade them that we are the right club for them to sign?
I've got a lot of respect for VO but we've needed a cm for a while now and ended up with another winger.
I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a cm available who we could have bought for 25M.

I'm not knocking James btw, he may turn out to be a superstar, I'm just saying with our limited resources the money could have been been spent in the areas that we needed it most.
It is to a certain extent, Orta works with Bielsa with MB getting the final say imo, Orta may well have had a shot at a CMF he liked but vetoed by MB, Man City for all their money didn't get the striker they needed. That may cost them down the line missing out on Ronaldo and Kane.

So many moving parts to a transfer I bet, unless you're prepared and can afford to overpay, that most attempts don't come off, but we don't hear about them. The check list of what needs to happen is an extremely long one

I do think we could have gotten Gallagher had we tried harder but if he came on Leeds forums/Social media etc he must have been dismayed to see the apathy and condemnation of the move by fans ... So he chose Palace, location also being a factor
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Mountain wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:46 pm And where did you get the idea that Bielsa signed James instead of a CM?

Did you think that Bielsa was given a choice between James and the new Zidane (who you haven't identified, incidentally) and he just decided on James on a whim?
We obviously signed James instead of a CM because James is here and the CM isn't

No one is saying we should be signing the new Zidane btw, unless you're saying that James is the new Messi?

You still haven't answered my question about whether or not you think we are ok in CM and if so why are teams constantly carving us up through the middle.

At the risk of repeating myself we have limited resources so why blow 25M on another winger when CM is the area that we needed to strengthen. That is why the 25M was a waste of money, not necessarily that James won't prove to be worth that amount, but the priority for this season was LB, CM and AMF and we've only managed to get 1 out of the 3 and this has shown in our poor performances so far this season.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Congratulations Dan and Ria ( i admit i had to google her name)

That level of commitment probably shows why MB got so obsessed about him, next level that, fair play.
Signed

King Cjay

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:21 pm
Congratulations Dan and Ria ( i admit i had to google her name)

That level of commitment probably shows why MB got so obsessed about him, next level that, fair play.
I did wonder. I saw his celebration after he scored his pen, sucking his thumb. A salute to new baby :) nice....
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

Congrats to him and his partner.
He looked very confident stepping up to take his penalty.
There Is Only One United.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Lovely news and explains his dummy celebration after his penalty. A couple of glimpses last night of that explosive pace to come once he settles in. No wonder his head has looked like it has been somewhere else.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Leeds1000 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:51 am Lovely news and explains his dummy celebration after his penalty. A couple of glimpses last night of that explosive pace to come once he settles in. No wonder his head has looked like it has been somewhere else.
We sometimes forget that they are human beings...
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

For ne James never stood out at man u and their lass wasn't expecting a sprog,
He was average yesterday... must be feeding the bairn through the neet :roll:
Ps
Wor lass went into labour 20 minutes before I played my blue star league darts final which I won.
I turned up at the general in the early hours pissed as a newt to see our daughter born
I spewed up when I saw that octopus tentacle thing
Child birth is bloody awful.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dan James vs Watford

35 touches
9/15 successful passes
4/7 final third passes
7 opposition half passes
6 penalty box touches
5 crosses
5 ball recoveries
4 duels won
4 times fouled
2/3 successful long passes
2 shots
1 block
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Was Dan's display his best in a Leeds shirt?

How good was his work rate?

Was James unlucky not to get a penalty?

Right now, is James a better option than Harrison?
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:24 pm Was Dan's display his best in a Leeds shirt?

How good was his work rate?

Was James unlucky not to get a penalty?

Right now, is James a better option than Harrison?
1. Yes
2. Very good.
3. Yes
4. Right now, yes and long term I think he will be as well
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:56 pm 1. Yes
2. Very good.
3. Yes
Good to have alternative for Raphinha or Jack as we didn't really have one last season....

Well we had Costa :roll:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:56 pm 1. Yes
2. Very good.
3. Yes
Agree with all that Chilli. Watching Dan James has me more on the edge of my seat than when I'm watching Jack Harrison
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

More of that in a white shirt please Dan :clap:
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Stats don't mention that 2 on 1 they blew early on and the Wales keeper to blame for both goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M9kLpPgM08