Re: Albums you rate from 2019

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Re: Albums you rate from 2019

Post by The Subhuman »

I like the She Keeps Bees, heard a bit of them before. In these Murky waters maybe a little too experimental for me, thought Adventures didn't scan well.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:11 am I like the She Keeps Bees, heard a bit of them before. In these Murky waters maybe a little too experimental for me, thought Adventures didn't scan well.
6th album from SKB, enjoy them all.
Thought you may have liked ItMW.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Up 1 for Dope Lemon, Up 7 for Billy Eilish .which is the album getting the play time right now

1 - Nilufer Yanya - Miss Universe
2 - Dope Lemon - Smooth Big Cat
3 - Billy Eilish - When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go
4 - Big Thief - U.F.O.F
5 - Aldous Harding - Designer
6 - Rina Mushonga - In a Galaxy
7 - Better Oblivion Community Centre - Better Oblivion Community Centre
8 - Lizzo - Cuz I Love You
9 - Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
10 - Karen O & Danger Mouse - LUX PRIMA
11 - Nina Nesbit - The Sun Will Come Up The Seasons Will Change
12 - The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery
13 - Solange - When I get Home
14 - The Cinematic Orchestra - I Believe
15 - Jenny Lewis - On the Line
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I almost daren't mention that Billie Eilish is the only new album I've bought so far this year. Glad you're enjoying it, I think she's an amazing original talent for her age. My favourite track isn't on the album though.

https://youtu.be/gBRi6aZJGj4
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Would that be Bellyache?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:22 pm I almost daren't mention that Billie Eilish is the only new album I've bought so far this year. Glad you're enjoying it, I think she's an amazing original talent for her age. My favourite track isn't on the album though.

https://youtu.be/gBRi6aZJGj4
and have you seen the vid for You Should see Me in a Crown apparently inspired by "Sherlock"

and this excellent

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Armstrong - Under Blues Skies

Canadian label The Beautiful Music has re-released this album originally released in 2007. Has echoes of mid-80s Aztec Camera and Prefab Sprout, also Teenage Fanclub, bit of the Byrds and Kontiki Suite for a more up-to-date reference. Perfect soundtrack to summer evenings sat in the sunshine, I loved it from the opening few bars. Available to check out on Spotify, if it's piquing anyone's interest.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:05 am Armstrong - Under Blues Skies

Canadian label The Beautiful Music has re-released this album originally released in 2007. Has echoes of mid-80s Aztec Camera and Prefab Sprout, also Teenage Fanclub, bit of the Byrds and Kontiki Suite for a more up-to-date reference. Perfect soundtrack to summer evenings sat in the sunshine, I loved it from the opening few bars. Available to check out on Spotify, if it's piquing anyone's interest.
Can't see anything on you tube and my spotify on the lap top seems to need re-installing fro some reason...will do that and listen later
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Billie Eilish reminds me a little bit of 21 Pilots ...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not from 19 but 2017's ISON by SEVDALIZA would have been in serious contention for any year not ending in a 19

Absolutely stunning...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:05 am Armstrong - Under Blues Skies

Listenable, but I didn't care to much for the above references, bar the Byrds, to start with. Not something I'd buy but not something I'd take off if it was on...as you say warm summer evening outside would be the best time..Probably enjoyable live too.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:03 pm Listenable, but I didn't care to much for the above references, bar the Byrds, to start with. Not something I'd buy but not something I'd take off if it was on...as you say warm summer evening outside would be the best time..Probably enjoyable live too.
That's fair enough, mate. Seen a lot of similar comments on twitter, pleasant enough without being stand out. I'm a sucker for anything that has that Laurel Canyon, late 60s vibe, but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.

By the way, I've been expounding the joys of Dope Lemon to all and sundry and the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. Album of the year for me so far.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:54 am That's fair enough, mate. Seen a lot of similar comments on twitter, pleasant enough without being stand out. I'm a sucker for anything that has that Laurel Canyon, late 60s vibe, but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.

By the way, I've been expounding the joys of Dope Lemon to all and sundry and the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. Album of the year for me so far.
Finally got round to completing a you tube play list ( I do most of my listening these days through headphones via my laptop) of all the tracks in order from Big Smooth Cat, that'll get played through hifi later, glad to have passed something good on. I think you and Ges overlap my tastes more than anyone else, but there will never be completely overlapping Venn diagrams of MOT musical taste

Try the Sevdaliza, not entirely sure it's your thing as we don't overlap everywhere, but it's well worth one listen. Astonishing is a word I would use and I know it's not new in 19 but it's new to me

Not sure if embedding an entire album here uses a lot of memory for MOT and slows page loading so will just provide the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znV9KDsNtXY&t=734s
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:09 pm Finally got round to completing a you tube play list ( I do most of my listening these days through headphones via my laptop) of all the tracks in order from Big Smooth Cat, that'll get played through hifi later, glad to have passed something good on. I think you and Ges overlap my tastes more than anyone else, but there will never be completely overlapping Venn diagrams of MOT musical taste

Try the Sevdaliza, not entirely sure it's your thing as we don't overlap everywhere, but it's well worth one listen. Astonishing is a word I would use and I know it's not new in 19 but it's new to me

Not sure if embedding an entire album here uses a lot of memory for MOT and slows page loading so will just provide the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znV9KDsNtXY&t=734s
There's crossover amongst quite a lot of the music heads on here but, like you say, there's never going to be complete symmetry. Which is a good thing, variety being the spice of life and all that. I like that people share what they dig without fear of judgement, it affords us all an opportunity to try something different.

I'm listening to it now, and really enjoying it. The fact that you mentioned Portishead/Massive Attack was enough for me and she does sounds like Beth, but I'd like it even if she didn't. Lots going on to keep you interested, another good call :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:32 pm There's crossover amongst quite a lot of the music heads on here but, like you say, there's never going to be complete symmetry. Which is a good thing, variety being the spice of life and all that. I like that people share what they dig without fear of judgement, it affords us all an opportunity to try something different.

I'm listening to it now, and really enjoying it. The fact that you mentioned Portishead/Massive Attack was enough for me and she does sounds like Beth, but I'd like it even if she didn't. Lots going on to keep you interested, another good call :tup:
I share intending to alert others to good music but if you don't like say so or am just ambivalent I'm ok with that, I'm not going to get huffy if my album of the year is only liked by me...

I'm always ok to ..That was crap or I couldn't be arsed to get past the first track. I'd rather a negative than zero response, just gives me a better feel for MOT posters musical tastes in the long run..

I will give the Armstrong another go because I do like Laurel Canyon stuff in the main, sometimes it takes 2/3 go's. I've just been hit with so much one punch stuff this year I've forgotten what it's like to work at listening to something..Though I'm a great believer if it's too much hard work (You need ten plus listens) then it's probably not worth it, I don't think that many albums "grow" on you
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Also a rather good Sevdaliza EP called The Calling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VprHSPS ... Me74HVfCT1
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:58 pm I share intending to alert others to good music but if you don't like say so or am just ambivalent I'm ok with that, I'm not going to get huffy if my album of the year is only liked by me...

I'm always ok to ..That was crap or I couldn't be arsed to get past the first track. I'd rather a negative than zero response, just gives me a better feel for MOT posters musical tastes in the long run..

I will give the Armstrong another go because I do like Laurel Canyon stuff in the main, sometimes it takes 2/3 go's. I've just been hit with so much one punch stuff this year I've forgotten what it's like to work at listening to something..Though I'm a great believer if it's too much hard work (You need ten plus listens) then it's probably not worth it, I don't think that many albums "grow" on you
To be honest, I tend to say nothing rather than leave a negative comment, simply because I think it can be discouraging for some folk. I'm like you insomuch as I'm not precious about the stuff I like, but I think we might be the exception rather than the rule.

I agree re 2/3 listens being the optimum in terms of whether or not an album is going to stick. There's so much music out there that any more than that starts to feel like a chore. The one exception to that rule for me was/is Dylan. Took me until my 40s to 'get' him. For a long time, I couldn't get beyond the vocal delivery but, as my palate matured, I realised his stuff is about so much more than that. My patience with him has been rewarded.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ahh that's the come back to Artist or Album...different beast altogether, we change as we get older. You tend to need years for that to happen though, and it's still a rare beast.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:40 pm I agree re 2/3 listens being the optimum in terms of whether or not an album is going to stick. There's so much music out there that any more than that starts to feel like a chore. The one exception to that rule for me was/is Dylan. Took me until my 40s to 'get' him. For a long time, I couldn't get beyond the vocal delivery but, as my palate matured, I realised his stuff is about so much more than that. My patience with him has been rewarded.
Absolutely Nick, Dylan's albums requires perseverance to appreciate his works

Have to say I would have been disappointed many times had I used the 2 or 3 listens rule.

Midlake's 'The Courage Of Others' took me eight listens before it really grabbed me, so rewarding in the end.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:57 pm Absolutely Nick, Dylan's albums requires perseverance to appreciate his works

Have to say I would have been disappointed many times had I used the 2 or 3 listens rule.

Midlake's 'The Courage Of Others' took me eight listens before it really grabbed me, so rewarding in the end.
Everyone's different, Leon, that's the beauty of it. For me, if I haven't found something to hook me after 3 listens, I probably won't. To use your example, I was into that Midlake album from first listen.